Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Prozac.........Will I be allowed in?

Prozac.........Will I be allowed in?

Old Sep 26th 2006, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Prozac.........Will I be allowed in?

Was a bit worried about asking this question.
Don't want you to think I am mad or anything.
But my situation is that I have been on Prozac for a year now and have been told that I may have to have them for life!!!!!
:scared:

Will they allow me in WA with this medical condition???? I have always worked while having bad bouts and have not needed to be hospitalised or anything.

Please be gentle with your answers...............and yes, I am a little crazy

Nici
Old Sep 26th 2006, 3:01 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prozac.........Will I be allowed in?

Originally Posted by kato33
But my situation is that I have been on Prozac for a year now and have been told that I may have to have them for life!!!!!

Will they allow me in WA with this medical condition???? I have always worked while having bad bouts and have not needed to be hospitalised or anything.

Nici

You will find plenty on here if you search for it. You should be totally fine.

The only thing they look at is cost of treatment in long term - and since you pay for your prescriptions here - you should be more worried than the govt ;-) (!).

Do a search on 'mental' ( ok , so I could have put mental health or mental illness but mental will get it all ... ;-) ). There are lots of bedlamites on this forum.

Also do a search on Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme, which is the 'upper cap' limit on prescriptions in Aus, i believe is 1000$ before Govt starts paying (per year).Ie you spend 1K$ they start helping you. It resets every year.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 3:02 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Nici
The medical process seems to be very much about establishing 'burden'. Many people take this drug for all sorts of conditions from mild anxiety etc. If you are really concerned, make sure your medical notes are in order because your medical examiner is likely to ask for a copy before your medical forms are sent to Oz.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
The medical process seems to be very much about establishing 'burden'. Many people take this drug for all sorts of conditions from mild anxiety etc. If you are really concerned, make sure your medical notes are in order because your medical examiner is likely to ask for a copy before your medical forms are sent to Oz.
Cheers for the advice.

Nici
Old Sep 27th 2006, 8:53 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry about being on Prozac. I was on a similar anti depressant when we had our meds done and all the doctor asked was whether it was just a mild case of depression or whether it was anxiety disorder. My answer was that yes, it was mild anxiety and mostly caused by the stress of the move. Passed meds and got the visa.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

There's no problem.

Cost is about $28 for 30 tablets (for the generic form - fluoxetine is exactly the same as Prozac). Don't worry.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lesleys
There's no problem.

Cost is about $28 for 30 tablets (for the generic form - fluoxetine is exactly the same as Prozac). Don't worry.

That really helps.
Thank you to all for the advice.
Now I can get my a**e in gear and send in the application without worry!!

I was really worried about doing this thread but everyone has been really great. Cheers

Nici
Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:45 am
Account Closed

conat is an unknown quantity at this point

make sure your medical notes are in order because your medical examiner is likely to ask for a copy before your medical forms are sent to Oz.
Hi, do the panel doctors ask for a copy of your medical notes to send to OZ :scared: I wouldn't have thought this would be allowed, confidentiality and all that.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

amanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of light

That really helps.
Thank you to all for the advice.
Now I can get my a**e in gear and send in the application without worry!!

I was really worried about doing this thread but everyone has been really great. Cheers

Nici

One thing you will find here is they are really on top of mental illnesses, which the UK sorely lacks. Mental illness is affecting about 70 percent of the population now, so you are definitely not in an exclusive club. The awareness here is amazing in comparison to the UK so hopefully, you will feel much more comfortable about your illness when you get here, which always helps as its much more open.

I hope some day soon people can say they are suffering from a bout as easy as they would say they have flu as depression affects more people than flu does.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 7:40 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by conat
Hi, do the panel doctors ask for a copy of your medical notes to send to OZ :scared: I wouldn't have thought this would be allowed, confidentiality and all that.
They will ask for you to send a copy of any consultant type referral or hospital admittance to them to accompany your notes. Confidentiality between practitioners is acceptable and as it is you requesting your notes to give to a medical professional, this is also perfectly fine. They will not ask to see ALL of your notes only things that feel the OZ medical panel might ask for additional information on and might delay the process for you.

For example if you have seen a psychiatrist your UK panel doctor might ask for a consultant type letter explaining the outcome of your treatment which you have already declared to having had on your medical form.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 7:49 pm
Account Closed

They will ask for you to send a copy of any consultant type referral or hospital admittance to them to accompany your notes. Confidentiality between practitioners is acceptable and as it is you requesting your notes to give to a medical professional, this is also perfectly fine. They will not ask to see ALL of your notes only things that feel the OZ medical panel might ask for additional information on and might delay the process for you.

For example if you have seen a psychiatrist your UK panel doctor might ask for a consultant type letter explaining the outcome of your treatment which you have already declared to having had on your medical form.
cheers ma dears

Medicals are next step for us and am looking at every medical post on here to see what is required, thanks for clearing it for me.

Good luck to OP, I am sure all will go well for you
Old Sep 27th 2006, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

You are correct to wonder about this. The data protection act used to only cover UK,....not sure if it included the EU, def didnt cover the rest of the world. Dont know if the act has been amended.

However, technically this is not a problem for you, as u r giving permission.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
You are correct to wonder about this. The data protection act used to only cover UK,....not sure if it included the EU, def didnt cover the rest of the world. Dont know if the act has been amended.

However, technically this is not a problem for you, as u r giving permission.
I have never seen any other doctor other than my GP for every day type ailments. I just wondered if they required your notes regardless of your medical history, so am I right in thinking it does not apply unless you have an ongoing condition?
Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

I have never seen any other doctor other than my GP for every day type ailments. I just wondered if they required your notes regardless of your medical history, so am I right in thinking it does not apply unless you have an ongoing condition?

yeah, you only need to supply records or notes if its an ongoing problem or condition , unable to treat etc.

sj
Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

Nici
just be honest at your medicals, dont go into every detail but stress the fact its minor anxiety due to the immigration process :scared: and you'll be fine

sj

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.