Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Protecting yourself in Oz- Whats the law?

Protecting yourself in Oz- Whats the law?

Old Feb 23rd 2007, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

stevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nice
Default Protecting yourself in Oz- Whats the law?

Firstly, I am not into Ozzie bashing and I am not a paranoid lunatic.

I am just interested to know what the situation is regarding protecting yourself and your property in Australia.
You hear in England about people catching chav burglars and giving them a clip round the ear with various consequences ensuing legally.
You hear about people having shotguns in America, waiting (hoping?) that a burglar will come their way so they can blow them to bits.
So whats the score in Australia?

The reason I ask is that I have seen many properties advertised with "24 hr security in the complex", which makes me think it may be necessary in some areas. I may live out in the sticks on my own in Australia without the backup of my mates or the so-called security (which I expect comes at a price).

Regards,
Shotgun steve.

Old Feb 24th 2007, 2:04 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Protecting yourself in Oz- Whats the law?

http://www.courts.qld.gov.au/practic...n_chap083a.htm

Reasonable force in a word. Providing it doesnt amount to grevious bodily harm.

So no blowing people up with a shotgun.

The reality is that Australia is a very safe country. Whereas the percentage of the US population which owns a gun is really quite frightening. Especially since they are, afterall, american
Old Feb 24th 2007, 3:46 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Most burglaries happen when the owners are away, most burglars break into peoples houses with the intention of stealing property not hurting occupants and run off if they see someone, but of course thats not always the case. They say your allowed to use reasonable force whatever that is.
In OZ is seems most of these home invasion cases where the householder or burglar is shot or injured involve drugs, where the householder is a drug dealer and the burglar breaks in to steal the drugs off him.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Feb 24th 2007 at 3:48 am.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

knifey_spoony is an unknown quantity at this point

The snakes and spiders will have killed them by the time they leave the garden.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 4:00 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
http://www.courts.qld.gov.au/practic...n_chap083a.htm

Reasonable force in a word. Providing it doesnt amount to grevious bodily harm.:
So what now mantraps can be set. Oh I forgot, there have been cases of burgulars tripping over hoses, garden implements etc injuring themselves and successfully suing the homeowner. Yes, it does happen. The same as a drunk who stumbled out of a Bayside club, got hit by a taxi and successfully sued the both the driver and the club, or the guy who got drunk at a bbq, climbed up on a 6ft fence and fell headfirst into a canal and became a quadraplegic. He sued and was successful
PS the Gov't changed the law after that little incident.

Last edited by The Bloke; Feb 24th 2007 at 4:03 am.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 4:10 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
So what now mantraps can be set. Oh I forgot, there have been cases of burgulars tripping over hoses, garden implements etc injuring themselves and successfully suing the homeowner. Yes, it does happen. The same as a drunk who stumbled out of a Bayside club, got hit by a taxi and successfully sued the both the driver and the club, or the guy who got drunk at a bbq, climbed up on a 6ft fence and fell headfirst into a canal and became a quadraplegic. He sued and was successful
PS the Gov't changed the law after that little incident.
Solution

Apply suitable force then administer first aid (with chain saw).