Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

prospective marriage to spouse temp - anyone know anything?

prospective marriage to spouse temp - anyone know anything?

Old May 26th 2003, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

Moo30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default prospective marriage to spouse temp - anyone know anything?

Hi,

After a short reprieve we are now back on the visa bandwagon ....

Last year we applied for and were granted a Prospective Marriage Visa in London and much to our surprise, it was granted within a couple of weeks .... despite waiting time quote of 6 months and plans based around that timeframe, but we got around that ....

Anyway, we were married this April and had a fantastic wedding in Melbourne with family & friends from Aus and UK. We have therefore now trotted into the Melb office of DIMA to submit the next stage of the visa, the 2 year Temp Spouse, and submitted the much smaller application, but with all the required bits & pieces. However, typical to previous experience, the counter staff who took our money and application did not have any idea what happens next in terms of confirmation letter, timescales etc. etc.

I then tried the DIMA hotline (useless) and a Migration Agent, but her timescale seems a bit odd (3 months) for an onshore Spouse Application after a Prospective Marriage Visa has already been granted from UK. My husband was given a bridging visa to take effect if his current one expires before next one granted, but they didn't give us any info on work rights associated with this.

My question is does anyone on this forum know approx how long it takes to grant an onshore spouse visa to a holder of a prospective marriage visa in the Melbourne office??

Any info on what to expect from this point would be greatly appreciated!
Old May 27th 2003, 6:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone out there know the answer to this one? I'm interested to as I (hopefully) will be in the same position early next year. How long will I have to wait to get the second bit of the visa processed? One reason for asking is that I may need to re-visit the UK and so don't want to front-load and surrender my passport if it means I can't travel for ages.
Pollyana