Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

pros and cons: australia

pros and cons: australia

Old Dec 12th 2002, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future
Talking pros and cons: australia

Hi,

I recently returned from a 3 month tour of Australia, here are my thoughts for those considering moving out there......

pros;
Absolutely beautiful !! I haven't seen anywhere as picturesque or with such colourful wildlife anywhere else in the world.

Warm weather

Healthy lifestyle ( especially in Sydney), sports

Lots of outdoor activities, social events

A country trying to come to grips with multiculturalism

Aboriginal culture, totally fascinating! Their whole perception of the world is different to those in the west .

Freindly people, very inviting.

Cons;
Racism, especially inthe Norhern territory. Often they do not realise that what they are saying is offensive to some races! For example our tour guide picked on the race that was not present in our group! Although in large cities such as Sydney things are much more progressive and multiculturism seems to be celebrated.

Sexism, especially in the Northern territory.

Too hot !!!Very easy to get burnt,even in a couple of minutes.

Very alcohol fuelled. beer and wine are a very big part of their culture.

Too far away from anywhere else, most parts of Austrlai are isolated in the extreme sense of the word.

These are just my perceptions, i am interested to hear what other people think.

interested
Old Dec 13th 2002, 2:47 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pros and cons: australia

Originally posted by Interested
Hi,

I recently returned from a 3 month tour of Australia, here are my thoughts for those considering moving out there......

pros;
Absolutely beautiful !! I haven't seen anywhere as picturesque or with such colourful wildlife anywhere else in the world.

Warm weather

Aboriginal culture, totally fascinating! Their whole perception of the world is different to those in the west .

Cons;
Racism, especially inthe Norhern territory. Often they do not realise that what they are saying is offensive to some races! For example our tour guide picked on the race that was not present in our group! Although in large cities such as Sydney things are much more progressive and multiculturism seems to be celebrated.

Too far away from anywhere else, most parts of Austrlai are isolated in the extreme sense of the word.

interested
Very good ever thought about doing a travel guide?the only thing you missed out is Australians have an opinion on everything and know nothing.
Old Dec 13th 2002, 8:42 am
Magnetic Member

magnetman is on a distinguished road

Being fairly new to this forum I might as well be the first to say that from what I have read so far that is the clearest case of the pot calling the kettle black I have seen in a very long time
Old Dec 13th 2002, 9:50 am
2thick

Originally posted by magnetman
Being fairly new to this forum I might as well be the first to say that from what I have read so far that is the clearest case of the pot calling the kettle black I have seen in a very long time
Trust me - You're will definitely not be the last to say or think it. One advantage of being thick and ignorant (PB, Ceri, myself) is that you don't know any better so you can talk absolute crap the whole time never realise you've contradicted yourself, missed the point of the thread, taken something out of context or generally acted like a dickhead - its fun

2thick (to know any better)

Old Dec 13th 2002, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future
Talking

Its all fun ! Actually i didn't realise I was being a dickhead when wrote that stuff, iwas just bored, hehehehe.
Old Dec 13th 2002, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Now I am worried that the whole immigrating process has started to make me thick !
Old Dec 13th 2002, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by Interested
Hi,

pros;

Crikey I think PB will have a fit when he sees this - he rekons it is the most baron desolate country around!!
Old Dec 16th 2002, 1:00 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by tinaj
Hi,

pros;

Crikey I think PB will have a fit when he sees this - he rekons it is the most baron desolate country around!!
Not at all some may think that Australia is -

depends how many pints you take and look though Rose tinted glasses at the same time?

Old Dec 16th 2002, 3:34 am
Banned

Originally posted by 2thick
Trust me - You're will definitely not be the last to say or think it. One advantage of being thick and ignorant (PB, Ceri, myself) is that you don't know any better so you can talk absolute crap the whole time never realise you've contradicted yourself, missed the point of the thread, taken something out of context or generally acted like a dickhead - its fun

2thick (to know any better)
I take that I am included in your gang then , nice to be enlisted for duty this forum seems to attract such clicks.
Most on here fall into your suming up such is all human life , and why not if everyone thought the same how dull would life be we would all turn into Aussies god forbid.

Old Dec 16th 2002, 6:41 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Hi,

pros;

Warm weather

Cons;

interested
Pros:
When earning pounds (like me) everything seems cheap
Beaches (Sydney) in the summer
Surfing, diving, sailing
Good public transport (Sydney again) compared to the UK
Affordability of rental property, especially close to work
Great scenery and surrounds
Lack of real traffic problems
Happy and proud people
Friendliness of locals (once you've spent at least 2 years getting to know them!)
Great 'clubs'
Great sports facilities

Cons:
Distance to family/friends once the inital influx of visitors in your first year passes
Poor local salaries compared to cost of living
Long working hours expected by employers in return for nothing
Lack of decent job opportunities
Smug locals who inherited waterfront property from family (lucky b*stards!) and propogate the 'millionaire lifestyles for all!" myth
Cost of property to buy
Heat in summer, especially when walking the city between appointments or commuting to work
Short daylight hours
Lack of easy overseas travel
Too much sport at work, in pubs, on TV, discussed on trains, buses etc
Too much Americanism - fast food joints, television dominated by old American series etc
Dreadful and nauseating 'lifestyle' TV programmes
Poor driving standards in and around Sydney
Old Dec 16th 2002, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

'short daylight hours'.....

this has been a huge 'pro' for us, especially as we have kids that won't go to bed until its dark! Just glad we have the aircon upstairs or they would have the excuse of it being too hot to sleep...

another pro for me is not having to do my food shopping at 2am to avoid the crowds..... I used to thank god for 24 hour Tesco's. We used to live near 'Lakeside shopping centre' in Essex so if you know the area you will understand my gripe... I don't even like shopping!!

Con...being an Essex girl! I've always hated that title but a pro for me here is that the 'aussies' don't seem to know the term 'Essex girl'.

Con in Aus.... Crap tv. yep even the cable is just more crap, but luckily as the weather is quite nice all the time, thankfully we don't watch the old box much, too much to do at the parks.

Con in Aus.... Bloody noisy insects and big buggers too! Really hate the cockroaches.

Pro in Aus... We all love it here and the kids are doing great in a very good school.

Pro in Aus... buying outdoor toys for the kids for christmas and being able to use them!

Con in Aus... some of the blokes are a bit 'blokey' but that isn't a con for me really being as I'm an Essex girl... I fit right in! Still can't stop myself from asking for a pint of lager!

I don't really think about pro's and con's as long as me and the family are happy, life is what you make it and its too short to be pondering. So why am I bothering to write all this? I have a right giggle reading stuff on here, it's more entertaining than the tv! No honestly, I'm sitting here in my lounge with the kids in bed, a glass of wine in my hand with my laptop on my lap with the weather channel on the tv, now that's about as good as it can get, what more could I ask for!
Old Dec 16th 2002, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

madmancunian is an unknown quantity at this point

I hear the flies are pretty bad...

A woman walked into the kitchen to find her husband stalking around with a fly swatter.
"What are you doing?" She asked.
"Hunting Flies" He responded.
"Oh!, Killing any?" She asked.
"Yep, 3 males, 2 Females", he replied.
Intrigued, she asked. "How can you tell?"
He responded, "3 were on a beer can, 2 were on the phone".
Old Dec 16th 2002, 10:44 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Mandy Bale
'short daylight hours'.....

this has been a huge 'pro' for us, especially as we have kids that won't go to bed until its dark! Just glad we have the aircon upstairs or they would have the excuse of it being too hot to sleep...

another pro for me is not having to do my food shopping at 2am to avoid the crowds..... I used to thank god for 24 hour Tesco's. We used to live near 'Lakeside shopping centre' in Essex so if you know the area you will understand my gripe... I don't even like shopping!!

You are not one of the informed people in WA who voted against day light saving because the cows would not know what time to coming in for milking are you?

Old Dec 17th 2002, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

no sorry pb, we are near Sydney.

haven't had any problems with flies yet, just cockroaches and noisy bugs at night!
Old Dec 17th 2002, 2:32 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Hi,

pros;

Warm weather

Cons;

interested
sorry, I do not recognise this country you talk about.

warm weather.. depends where in Aus, Sydney gets cold in winter. South Aus and Melbourne even worse
Sexism.. never had a prob with it myself (been here 6 years)- perhaps I scare them!
Wildlife.. yes I like the wildlife, but I also liked the wildlife in Asia
Healthy lifestyle... doesn't figure, and not what I've seen in the past 6 years living here. Most people drive everywhere, have picnics outside their cars, because they don't want to walk.. second obese nation the world, after America. You get the same prob's with TV and game kid addicts here.
Friendly people... no more so than most countries around the world, also depends on the city.
Alcohol fuelled.. no more so than P*ss heads/larger louts in the UK, and boy do I know many

"Absolutely beautiful !! I haven't seen anywhere as picturesque or with such colourful wildlife anywhere else in the world."- ... You don't get out much do you? Try Asia, try Africa, try parts of Europe.

Pro's and con's .. the same as most Western countries, some worse some better.

cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.