Wikiposts

Property prices

Old Mar 31st 2004, 8:55 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

The agent reckons I should put my house on the market at £135k.

He thinks I should get at least £132, and possibly may get a lot of interest as there's not enough property available round here to meet demand, so quite possibly I'll get early offers up to the asking price!

That's about 100% increase in under four years... at least for once the market's working in my favour, if I was trying to buy somewhere here I think I'd be less happy.

Goes on the market on 19 April.

Fingers crossed for all the house-sellers; I hope for all our sakes that lots of people get the urge to move house from Easter-time.

Elaine M
Old Mar 31st 2004, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Elaine

Thanks for your well wishes. We only bought our house 2 1/2 yrs ago for 73,500. We had it valued at between £145-£170k. definately seems to have doubled in that time, although it's on at £149,950 and is not geting any interest unfortunately. This is our first house and it's really getting us down. Meanwhile, like I said previously, house prices are on the up in the bracket we are looking at. I can't believe that they are stilll going up. What a nightmare! Good luck to you and keep me posted with your progress.

xxx
Old Mar 31st 2004, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

alrobson will become famous soon enoughalrobson will become famous soon enough

it's a bit tricky to really know what's going on. House prices going up or down in one area do not neccessarily predict a nationwide trend. I sold my house last November and the estate agent kept telling me how active the market was but when I eventually sold the solicitor was telling me that it was definitely slowing down.

I guess you have to remember that estate agents are sales people so they will tell you what you want to hear. In my opinion, if you are not getting any interest then the price is too high. If you get people round and the house doesn't suit them then that's one thing but if people are not getting anyone round then it must be a problem with the price. It doesn't matter how bad the market is, if a house is a good deal then somebody will buy it.

just my opinion
Old Mar 31st 2004, 6:51 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: Property prices

Originally posted by TrickyTree

House just gone up for sale on my street at 81k where as towards the end of last year they went up for 71k.

TT

81k sounds cheap! I've been looking at Rightmove.com in the area we came from and they are all well over 100k (Beeston) for what we are looking at, when we left they were around 80k though. Suppose it depends what area you live in?
Old Mar 31st 2004, 7:01 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

I live a little more out of Nottingham than Beeston janeyray so I guess that accounts for the price drop.

But got home last night and next door had put their house up for sale and its up for 90k.
Perhaps the other needed work done to it.

Think I would be v happy to get 85-90k for mine come June time.

TT

Originally posted by janeyray
81k sounds cheap! I've been looking at Rightmove.com in the area we came from and they are all well over 100k (Beeston) for what we are looking at, when we left they were around 80k though. Suppose it depends what area you live in?
Old Mar 31st 2004, 7:06 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by TrickyTree
I live a little more out of Nottingham than Beeston janeyray so I guess that accounts for the price drop.

But got home last night and next door had put their house up for sale and its up for 90k.
Perhaps the other needed work done to it.

Think I would be v happy to get 85-90k for mine come June time.

TT
My sister just had her 'tiny' house valued. They bought it for 38,000 and now selling for 90,000. In Blidworth.

Same goes for here to, We bought our house in Perth for $175,000 and it's selling for $220,000. Only bought it in August 2003, not bad hey!!!
Old Mar 31st 2004, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

I think basically everybody has a different story/circumstance. I bought my house for £147K in 2001 3 bed detached North Sussex. Jan 2003 it was valued at £240k. Put it on the market in Dec 2003 for £229K (estate agent advise) and I still had to drop it in order to get it sold after 3 months.

What people put it on for is not necessarily what they end up selling it for!!!
Unfortunately there appears to be a panic setting in amongst sellers and buyers. At the end of the day, if the first time buyers caught afford to get on the ladder, it will all come to a grinding halt!!!

By the way prices in Brisbane are still going crazy for the good areas, so any dreams of not having any mortgage may be just dreams.

Nick
Old Mar 31st 2004, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

I think basically everybody has a different story/circumstance. I bought my house for £147K in 2001 3 bed detached North Sussex. Jan 2003 it was valued at £240k. Put it on the market in Dec 2003 for £229K (estate agent advise) and I still had to drop it in order to get it sold after 3 months.

What people put it on for is not necessarily what they end up selling it for!!!
Unfortunately there appears to be a panic setting in amongst sellers and buyers. At the end of the day, if the first time buyers caught afford to get on the ladder, it will all come to a grinding halt!!!

By the way prices in Brisbane are still going crazy for the good areas, so any dreams of not having any mortgage may be just dreams.

Nick