Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Property info. Cairns - PM me!!

Property info. Cairns - PM me!!

Old May 11th 2004, 9:07 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by steandleigh
Thanks for the Pm Lee, sent 'ya one back.

I can feel a Cairns expats meet coming on.........save some of those stubbies for us 3rd september!!!!!!!!
Don't forget to let me know when it is.
We have never been on holiday so a little break to Cairns will do for starters
Old May 12th 2004, 7:49 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property info. Cairns - PM me!!

Leejo,

Thanks for the Cairns info. The two main things my partner and I want from our new home is a decent Uni - which James Cook may be - and a job for me. I've been looking at Finance jobs in FNQ and there doesn't seem to be much. Do you know where to get job info on FNQ or do you have any thoughts on the situation there?

Thanks.

Originally posted by leejo
Hi Nat,

Kanimbla is lovely and close to the city. Brinsmead and Redlynch are more reasonable, but about 15 mins for the city. But am sure your partners parents can put straight on the nice areas to live.

We'll have to met up for a couple for stubbies, in a few weeks!!

Cheers

Lee

PS. Weather is perfect at the moment 30c in the day and 20c at night!! Clear skies.
Old May 12th 2004, 8:19 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Leejo,

Thanks for the Cairns info.

There's two things my partner and I want from our potential home in OZ - a decent Uni - which James Cook may be - and a job for me.

I work in Finance and there seems to be little in FNQ. Do you know any differently or do you know of any good places (such as websites) to look for FNQ jobs?

Thanks alot.

The lagoon is great and the broadwalk is well lit now, excellent for evening strolls. There also seems to be sand in places, but I haven't walked on it.

Cairns is great, weather perfect, and how clean are the streets. No litter or graffitti.

Yes, Cairns does have a lot of tourism, there is no doubt about that. But it is mainly concentrated in the south of the esplanade. When we got a car and started to explore the suburbs. You see total different Cairns. Nice clean streets.

We have been looking at houses. There are lots of new developments. Which I discribed the other night, to some Aussie friends. As being just like the housing estate E.T lived on.

Cheers

Lee
Old May 12th 2004, 8:49 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

Leejo,

There's two things my partner and I want from a potential home in OZ - a decent Uni for the other half - maybe James Cook? - and a job for me, initially in Finance.

As yet, I haven't found much in FNQ in finance. Do you know any differently, plus do you know any decent websites to look at?

And when are you gonna test that sand? My partner tried standing on the mudflats in 1997 and virtually sunk - much to the amusements of a bunch of locals.

Thanks.

The lagoon is great and the broadwalk is well lit now, excellent for evening strolls. There also seems to be sand in places, but I haven't walked on it.

Cairns is great, weather perfect, and how clean are the streets. No litter or graffitti.

Yes, Cairns does have a lot of tourism, there is no doubt about that. But it is mainly concentrated in the south of the esplanade. When we got a car and started to explore the suburbs. You see total different Cairns. Nice clean streets.

We have been looking at houses. There are lots of new developments. Which I discribed the other night, to some Aussie friends. As being just like the housing estate E.T lived on.

Cheers

Lee
Old May 12th 2004, 11:21 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

D'oh,

Apparently these weren't getting posted, but now I see they were.

Originally posted by diddy
Leejo,

There's two things my partner and I want from a potential home in OZ - a decent Uni for the other half - maybe James Cook? - and a job for me, initially in Finance.

As yet, I haven't found much in FNQ in finance. Do you know any differently, plus do you know any decent websites to look at?

And when are you gonna test that sand? My partner tried standing on the mudflats in 1997 and virtually sunk - much to the amusements of a bunch of locals.

Thanks.
Old May 12th 2004, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Bix
Don't forget to let me know when it is.
We have never been on holiday so a little break to Cairns will do for starters
You've never been on holiday? What? NEVER?!!!!

Awwwww!!!! Poor bixxy!!!!

Am sure we can fit you and the boss in somewhere!!!!
Old May 12th 2004, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Leejo,

Hi, well we still haven't had an offer on the house yet but we are thinking of going in July anyway.

The weather sounds great lets hope its as nice when we get there.

We are thinking about the Northern Beaches, Trinity area or thereabouts. Ians new company has been sending us the real estate pages from Cairns and the house prices are dearer than we originally thought but you can still get a nice house for $300,000.

I will look forward to meeting you all when we get there. I'll need a stiff drink by then.

Mandy
Old May 12th 2004, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

leejo is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by scrawni
Leejo,

Hi, well we still haven't had an offer on the house yet but we are thinking of going in July anyway.

We are thinking about the Northern Beaches, Trinity area or thereabouts. Ians new company has been sending us the real estate pages from Cairns and the house prices are dearer than we originally thought but you can still get a nice house for $300,000.

I will look forward to meeting you all when we get there. I'll need a stiff drink by then.

Mandy
Hi Mandy,

You're right! you can still get a nice house for $300,000.00, but don't be fooled into thinking you will get anything decent under $200K. The beaches are cheaper than the city and surrounding suburbs. With the beaches you have no large shopping centre other than Smithfield which is about 5 mins by car from Trinity. They are building a new Coles outside of Palm Cove. Also the journey into the city is 15 mins. Which is far for Aussies to travel to work but not us brits.

For about $280K you can build 4bdrm, 2 bath, dble garage ($100K for land £180 for house) it's just the time involved 8 to 10 mths.

Plenty of house new and old up for sale. They are getting sold quickly though. Southerner are buying investment properties over the phone. Check out the commonwealth house valuer good rule of thumb.

www.commbank.com.au/propertyvalueguide/

Cheers

Lee
Old May 12th 2004, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

leejo is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by scrawni
Leejo,

Mandy
Oh yeah,

Forget to mention a nice little tip.

Locals get 10 to 20 per cent of most services and some goods. eg, Tours, some restaurants, etc.

Don't try it at Coles they will tell you to "Rack off".

Just have id with you driving license or tenancy agreement.

Cheers

Lee

Last edited by leejo; May 13th 2004 at 9:07 pm.
Old May 13th 2004, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

I think I also read that you pay less tax when living above the line of capricorn - well it said something like that can't remember exactly.

Is this right?

Mandy