Reload this Page >

Property development in Oz.

Property development in Oz.

Old Mar 10th 2005, 7:51 am
Just Joined

dazzyr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Property development in Oz.

Hi,
We're hoping to move over to Adelaide in the Autumn. We're going over with open minds on jobs/professions but I will probably continue my current engineering trade and diversify at a later date.

One of the options we are looking at is property development - on a small scale! i.e.buying a house at c$200k and renovating before selling on.
Obviously the Oz housing market is on the wane at the moment so we would have to pick our moment correctly in the future - but it is an option.

So don't know if anyone has experience of this but any guidelines would be helpful. Just looking at alternatives to earning a crust. The only real bugbear from a charges point of view that I can see is the amount of stamp duty that is charged. Don't know what level of tax I would be expected to pay either.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 8:12 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Property development in Oz.

Originally Posted by dazzyr
Hi,
We're hoping to move over to Adelaide in the Autumn. We're going over with open minds on jobs/professions but I will probably continue my current engineering trade and diversify at a later date.

One of the options we are looking at is property development - on a small scale! i.e.buying a house at c$200k and renovating before selling on.
Obviously the Oz housing market is on the wane at the moment so we would have to pick our moment correctly in the future - but it is an option.

So don't know if anyone has experience of this but any guidelines would be helpful. Just looking at alternatives to earning a crust. The only real bugbear from a charges point of view that I can see is the amount of stamp duty that is charged. Don't know what level of tax I would be expected to pay either.

A lot of people have done this, and not paid tax. They live in the house whilst it is being done up, and claim it as a normal residence, therefore tax free

Old Mar 10th 2005, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

dazzyr is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah but don't you have to be there for a year for that to be the case?

By the way I've found your website very useful.

cheers
Old Mar 10th 2005, 11:35 pm
ABCDiamond

Yeah but don't you have to be there for a year for that to be the case?

By the way I've found your website very useful.

cheers
If you are coming over as a PR, then there are no time restrictions for this, as far as I know.

Thank's for the comment about the website. It's a useful place for me to file useful information

Old Mar 10th 2005, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

markaren is an unknown quantity at this point

If your looking to get into property have a look at www.propertyinvesting.com its a forum simalar to this but with discussions on all aspects of property from buying to doing work, hope it helps.

Hi,

Old Mar 10th 2005, 11:47 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by markaren
If your looking to get into property have a look at www.propertyinvesting.com its a forum simalar to this but with discussions on all aspects of property from buying to doing work, hope it helps.
Another forum like that is http://www.somersoft.com/forums/index.php?