Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Property Developing

Property Developing

Old Mar 8th 2008, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

YvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really nice
Default Property Developing

Hiya,

we are having a mini crisis in our household at the moment. My OH is VERY skilled in all things necessary to make a brilliant go at property developing. We've always wanted to give it a go but have been pretty fearful...up until now that is. Ironically, only the process of applying to live in Aus has given us the outlook that "anything is possible".

We are not sure whether to try to make a go of it here developing or to go to Aus and do it there. Does anyone have any experience in developing in either country? Is there scope to develop in Perth and make good money doing so? We are sure we could make money here at it - not so sure about over there.

Just when I thought we'd made a decision!! ARGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHHH!!

I hope someone can offer something!

Yvonnex
Old Mar 9th 2008, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

YvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really nice
Default Re: Property Developing

Anyone??
Old Mar 9th 2008, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

You've missed Perth by 5-7 years- if you had started then, you would be v.wealthy today. As a rule Perth is normally 2-3 years behind the East coast. V. expensive now.

On the east coast (melbourne/ sydney) the big opportunity now is for those with the cash to snap up properties as the screws tighten with interest rate rises.

Aus is the ultimate for prop developers but I would wait a while to catch a ride on the next upswing.

Mining towns have all boomed- as long as China has an appetite these towns should keep going, but once again the real bargains have been had.

You should go over and learn the ropes- when the time is right again, you're ready to rock and roll

Originally Posted by YvonnePaul
Hiya,

we are having a mini crisis in our household at the moment. My OH is VERY skilled in all things necessary to make a brilliant go at property developing. We've always wanted to give it a go but have been pretty fearful...up until now that is. Ironically, only the process of applying to live in Aus has given us the outlook that "anything is possible".

We are not sure whether to try to make a go of it here developing or to go to Aus and do it there. Does anyone have any experience in developing in either country? Is there scope to develop in Perth and make good money doing so? We are sure we could make money here at it - not so sure about over there.

Yvonnex
Old Mar 9th 2008, 8:29 pm
jan
classy clipper

jan will become famous soon enoughjan will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=YvonnePaul;6036089]Hiya,

Yvonnex[/QUOTE

There are so many mid large developers here i would say you would need one million u.k. pounds to break in to the market. so many companies are able to deliver A class developments not quite like the u.k. where you can tosh up buyers here all like new and imaculate as a rule. As a pom you may even encounter more obstacles than the locals with regards to red tape.
Because of rate rises it may be that some developments are sitting on the market longer thats when cash flow can become a problem and sitting on a development can eat in to your profits especially if you have to service loans.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:14 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jan;6039208]
Hiya,

Yvonnex[/QUOTE

There are so many mid large developers here i would say you would need one million u.k. pounds to break in to the market. so many companies are able to deliver A class developments not quite like the u.k. where you can tosh up buyers here all like new and imaculate as a rule. As a pom you may even encounter more obstacles than the locals with regards to red tape.
Because of rate rises it may be that some developments are sitting on the market longer thats when cash flow can become a problem and sitting on a development can eat in to your profits especially if you have to service loans.
Take with a pinch of salt

There are large developers developing crap builds using wrong building methods.

Alot of opportunity downunder, especially for low overhead operations.

In the coming recession their is loads to be made, and the eventual upswing will not be shared with traditional builders.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:22 pm
jan
classy clipper

[QUOTE=Geelong Gent;6039412]
Originally Posted by jan

In the coming recession their is loads to be made, and the eventual upswing will not be shared with traditional builders.

The wrong building methods eh! Would be nice if you could give an example to back up YOUR opinion.
And the coming recession ? F/ME Can i borrow that crystal ball when you have finished with it.lol.
Loads to be made?????????? lol! So we should be hearing from a really rich Pom very shortly. WATCH THIS SPACE FOLKS. I reckon if i need to be taken with a pinch of Salt you need a lorry load!!
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone??
You could try sending a pm to Fly Away, I am sure she would not mind! She has done property dev in UK.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:30 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
You could try sending a pm to Fly Away, I am sure she would not mind! She has done property dev in UK.
Have sent PM
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:35 pm
Has left the building

[QUOTE=jan;6039451]
Originally Posted by Geelong Gent

The wrong building methods eh! Would be nice if you could give an example to back up YOUR opinion.
And the coming recession ? F/ME Can i borrow that crystal ball when you have finished with it.lol.
Loads to be made?????????? lol! So we should be hearing from a really rich Pom very shortly. WATCH THIS SPACE FOLKS. I reckon if i need to be taken with a pinch of Salt you need a lorry load!!
You lack the key ingredient already so advice on you would be wasted.

What I will say to the wider audience - think about environmental issues and the technology that is being used in Europe for the past say 40 years.

Aussies and in particularly builders are slow in grasping and more importantly making use of new technology.

Examples:

Timber frame
Brick veneer

The Web

Supply chain
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

You'd think with all those spiders, the web would be one thing they were good with!
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:49 pm
jan
classy clipper

[QUOTE=Geelong Gent;6039533]
Originally Posted by jan

You lack the key ingredient already so advice on you would be wasted.

What I will say to the wider audience - think about environmental issues and the technology that is being used in Europe for the past say 40 years.

Aussies and in particularly builders are slow in grasping and more importantly making use of new technology.

Examples:

Timber frame
Brick veneer

The Web

Supply chain
I dont remember asking you for any advice??
Yes think about enviromental issues. Of course the production of cement has no impact whatsoever on the enviroment None at all lol. As for timber frame brick veneer.
Many many u.k. homes have a timber frame. The veneer is not so important just preference most homes built on the west coast and florida U.S.A. are timberframed finished in stucco. not that different from Ausi homes.
It is quite evident that you may be a whinging Pom! lol.
Enjoy!
Old Mar 9th 2008, 10:02 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Because of rate rises it may be that some developments are sitting on the market longer thats when cash flow can become a problem and sitting on a development can eat in to your profits especially if you have to service loans.[/QUOTE]

NO WAY!!

I'm a town planner and have worked extensively in both the UK and Australia - currently for a private town planning firm who deal with private developers - mainly our clients are the 'Big guns' - people that head into a new development with so much money I wonder why they don't just retire and buy themselves an island in fiji....

But I've also seen a lot of people start out with much less than 100K (AUD) some with as little as a bit of equity in their own house....

My mate had his first start with a development that cost him $55,000 AUD - bought this old house, got approval for 3 units on the site, sold the site to a developer for $200,000 - so he did NOTHING except the paperwork, payed the mortgage on the site for a year whilst he got approvals sorted...

That $200K set him up to do a small house development in a growing are, he as since bought half a dozen places (over the past 5 years)....

You can start with not much - if you know what you're doing and you're willing to start out small .....

And as to the comment about 'missing' the boat and needing to start 10 years ago ... 10 years ago people were saying you had to start in the 1980's .....

no doubt ten years from now people will be saying .........'back in 2008 when .....'
Old Mar 9th 2008, 10:04 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Geelong Gent;6039412]
Originally Posted by jan

Agreed, expect for the last part - and its not that I disagree entuirely, just hat I don't even know what a 'traditional builder' is anymore - they seeom to always alter to meet the market......
Old Mar 9th 2008, 10:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Can I remind people that it is quite possible to disagree with someone's views without getting abusive.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

somme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to behold

The interest rate rise is beginning to bite on the east coast and there will be bargins to be had in the coming months, an ideal time to get on the development market. You will need to look into what certificates you need to do this as they are hot on everyone having the qualifications to do the job, unlike in the UK where every DIY enthusiast can do almost anything, the results not always good.

Good luck with whatever you decide, here you can do anything if you are willing to put the effort in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.