Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

property descriptions

property descriptions

Old Feb 22nd 2003, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all
Default property descriptions

can anyone help me please?
whilst looking at somewhere to rent i've come across a few abbreviations i don't understand which are probably very simple.
s.l.u.g.
d.l.u.g.
and l.u.g.
me and hubby have been trying to guess, maybe ..underground?
karen
Old Feb 22nd 2003, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: property descriptions

Originally posted by karenvirginia
can anyone help me please?
whilst looking at somewhere to rent i've come across a few abbreviations i don't understand which are probably very simple.
s.l.u.g.
d.l.u.g.
and l.u.g.
me and hubby have been trying to guess, maybe ..underground?
karen
They'll be:

Single Lock Up Garage
Double Lock Up Garage

and you guessed it....

Lock Up Garage
Old Feb 22nd 2003, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

thankyou jaykay,
alan thought it was to do with septic tanks underground!!!
so easy now we know!
karen
Old Feb 22nd 2003, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by karenvirginia
thankyou jaykay,
alan thought it was to do with septic tanks underground!!!
so easy now we know!
karen
No problem Karen

My dad is an Estate Agent here so he knows all the language!

By the way, for anyone interested, I went looking at Display Homes at Rowville today. I've fallen in love with the most fantastic house. It's roughly 44 squares and is just beautiful. Only problem is that it costs $325,000 (not including the land) but I didn't really want to have to take out a mortgage once we've moved over here, so may have to reconsider.

For anyone considering building a new house, here are a few builders names:

www.hometec.com.au (check out The Casa Royale!)
Porter Davis Homes (sorry no website)
Executive Homes
www.nsdhomes.com.au
Triline Homes
Old Feb 22nd 2003, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jaykay
No problem Karen

My dad is an Estate Agent here so he knows all the language!

By the way, for anyone interested, I went looking at Display Homes at Rowville today. I've fallen in love with the most fantastic house. It's roughly 44 squares and is just beautiful. Only problem is that it costs $325,000 (not including the land) but I didn't really want to have to take out a mortgage once we've moved over here, so may have to reconsider.

For anyone considering building a new house, here are a few builders names:

www.hometec.com.au (check out The Casa Royale!)
Porter Davis Homes (sorry no website)
Executive Homes
www.nsdhomes.com.au
Triline Homes
Anyone remember that Malvina Reynolds song, 'Little Boxes' ?
Old Feb 22nd 2003, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by etlniwd
These are definitely big boxes!!

As you drive into the estate where these display houses are located, there are at least a dozen of these double storey houses and I have to admit that they all look very "samey" and they are all on really small blocks of land (some about 600 sq m) so they are very offputting when all in a row.

I was more referring to the inside of the house (which was decked out in pale greys, plums, purples and just took my breath away), and just how big it was.
Old Feb 22nd 2003, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

pudnut is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by etlniwd
Delving deep within my memory, Was it something like,
Little boxes, on a hill side, little boxes made of ticky tacky?
something like that anyway, or am I thinking of something else entirely!!!!

Pudnut...
Old Feb 22nd 2003, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

yes 'and they all looked just the same...'

cheers

richard
Old Feb 22nd 2003, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by r.bartlett
yes 'and they all looked just the same...'

cheers

richard
Yes, that's the one.

We went driving around Samford Downs last weekend just to see what the area was like. Well, the Samford area is quite nice but 'Samford Downs' turns out to be just the developers name for their own housing estate. We drove round the estate to have a look at the plots for sale and lo and behold what should we stumble across but the latest Endeavour Prize Home. I used to get all the blurb on these sent to me when I lived in England and I must admit that I've even purchased a ticket or two in the past. Anyway I knew that some of these homes are tacky but this one defied belief. It looked like it had been assembled in about two days and designed by someone who thought it was still the 1950s. And they reckon this was worth $750k. Yeah right.

Anyway the plots we saw in Samford Downs varied from 0.5 to about 5 acres and were around the $200k mark. Not a bad price considering you get utilities connected for that. The problem is that they are all on a housing estate and everything is so regimented. OK, so you can build your own style home on your own land but you still have to look out onto all your neighbours' 'stone clad' bungalows.
Old Feb 23rd 2003, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

1) to jaykay - are you in oz or the uk? it says surrey on screen.

2) the property paper my brother sent to me from the gold coast is just full of these homes on estates - very expensive and not what we want at all.
al is a builder and we are looking forward to building our own home in the future when he's found out all about local regs and different building styles. To begin with he'll be available to expats for extensions etc.!!!
from what we gather you design your house, get drawings passed, find your plot and employ a builder - is that right?
karen
Old Feb 23rd 2003, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

richard, any more new on that xray? you were seeing the doc again last time i read. karen
Old Feb 23rd 2003, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

thanks karen
yes i posted back on what my gp said
he was not impressed but as he's not the 'expert' refered me on to one
so i wait for an apointment

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=133631

cheers

richard
Old Feb 23rd 2003, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

good luck anyway.
Old Feb 25th 2003, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by karenvirginia
1) to jaykay - are you in oz or the uk? it says surrey on screen.

[/QUTOE]

Hi Karen

I'm on a 3 week holiday in Melbourne at the moment, staying with my parents. Leaving on Saturday to return home to Surrey.

Then once I get back, will start the ball rolling with getting my partner (who's english) a Spouse Visa so that we can move to Melbourne in September time. Hoping to front end load the application and get an interview so that we can get visa on the day.

It's a beautiful day in Melbourne today (again!!). Not as hot as yesterday (which was 35 degrees) but still warm enough to wear minimal clothing and enjoy the warm breeze on the back verandah, with a cool drink in hand!
Old Feb 25th 2003, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

i've got citizenship through my mom being born in melbourne and sponsored my husband alan for a spouse visa which we have just got. we never had to have any kind of interview???
we will be on our way early sept to gold coast hopefully. i have a brother in sydney too.
safe journey home
karen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.