Proof of Address etc in Australia

Proof of Address etc in Australia

Old Jun 1st 2012, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Perthflyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Proof of Address etc in Australia

Hi

My Mum is coming out on a visit next month to validate her Parent visa

I would like to get her set up with drivers licences etc when she comes out but do not see how I can do this without her having a residential address (she will live with me)

- Cannot apply for a TFN until she hits the country
- Bank account will need proof of address
- Cannot apply for a medicare card until she hits the country

Any tips or ideas would be gratefully received
Old Jun 1st 2012, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof of Address etc in Australia

If she is only coming to validate her visa, she does not need to change her licence, get a TFN number or register for medicare. In fact it is a bad idea to do those things. Even when she moves permanently, it is not necessary to change the driving licence straight away.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

Perthflyer is an unknown quantity at this point

She will be coming in July for a few weeks to validate her visa before migrating permamently in October

Am intrigued as to why it would be a bad idea to get her sorted out with a bank, drivers licence etc as I would have thought it would have made her perm migration easier
Old Jun 1st 2012, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthflyer
She will be coming in July for a few weeks to validate her visa before migrating permamently in October

Am intrigued as to why it would be a bad idea to get her sorted out with a bank, drivers licence etc as I would have thought it would have made her perm migration easier
I didn't mention the bank. I was mainly saying it is a bad idea to register for TFN and medicare. I think you need to be a resident to swap licence, she might have a PR visa, but she is not resident until she moves here. Same as I am not resident in the UK now, although I do have the right to reside there.

Have a read of the things not to do on validation trip section.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Visa_Validation-Australia

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Jun 1st 2012 at 11:38 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I got my OH (currently here on a visitor visa, but applying for a spouse visa this week) a driving licence no problems.

I put him on my house insurance - I knew that there was a renewal due so when that came, it had both our names on. I then took that, his passport and his UK driving licence down and applied for an Aussie driving licence.

For the bank he just took in his passport and because he'd been here less than 6 weeks that was all he needed to provide. We used ANZ since he didn't have to be resident for that account.

For medicare and TFN, you may as well wait until she comes permanently. They are pretty easy to get.

TFN - so long as she isn't getting interest paid to her bank account isn't needed until she is here for good.

Medicare, she just needs to turn up with her passport and they will issue that there and then.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 4:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I would like to get her set up with drivers licences etc when she comes out but do not see how I can do this without her having a residential address (she will live with me)

Have a look for the lists of things that help to produce "100 poimts of iD" - thats what you need for bank accounts etc. When someone has first arrived, their passport with a recent entry stamp is usually accepted as being worth 100 points, rather than the usual 60.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_point_check
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 8:59 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

getting a proof of address is actually easiest *from* the bank. When you open an account a few days after landing, say, they can accept the fact that you are just landed and usually skip it - they can see your passport and entry stamp, it works for them. To get the ball rolling, I asked my manager to print out a standard letter addressed to payroll manager with the account info for salary transfers, it contains all your ID/address information on it as well and can be used as a proof of address letter elsewhere - e.g. to get your driver license swapped. Once you have two of these done, ID becomes so much easier.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

I opened a bank account with NAB with no proof of address...
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 2:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If I were her I would only do the bank account bit on a validation trip. The rest can be done easily and quickly once she's here permanently.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 3:05 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
I opened a bank account with NAB with no proof of address...
Lucky you! Not only did they want it to open mine, they now want proof of address, AND personal appearances in the branch from both my ex and I in order to close an empty, unused, joint bank account.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 3:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Lucky you! Not only did they want it to open mine, they now want proof of address, AND personal appearances in the branch from both my ex and I in order to close an empty, unused, joint bank account.
That is extraordinary, what a waste of everyone's time.

I am also pretty sure I opened my NAB account with no proof of address, well I opened it from the UK and then walked into the branch whilst on validation trip and activated it by flashing my passport.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 9:00 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
That is extraordinary, what a waste of everyone's time.

I am also pretty sure I opened my NAB account with no proof of address, well I opened it from the UK and then walked into the branch whilst on validation trip and activated it by flashing my passport.
May vary from branch to branch -we both already had credit cards with them when we opened the joint account, I'd been here a few years but they wanted shedloads of id and income stuff I never used it, though the ex did for a while. They can whistle for closing it, I don't care if it sits there empty for years, its not costing me anything
Old Jun 4th 2012, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
May vary from branch to branch -we both already had credit cards with them when we opened the joint account, I'd been here a few years but they wanted shedloads of id and income stuff I never used it, though the ex did for a while. They can whistle for closing it, I don't care if it sits there empty for years, its not costing me anything
That's why then...you only need a passport if you have been here less than 6 weeks, otherwise you need to show the 100 points of ID
Old Jun 5th 2012, 11:10 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
That's why then...you only need a passport if you have been here less than 6 weeks, otherwise you need to show the 100 points of ID
Exactly. Then you ask *them* to print out a proof of address letter for you, to use in other places.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 12:04 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Wendy
To open one maybe, even though they'd already had the 100 points for the credit card the year before, but why the need for ID (and a personal appearance) to CLOSE an empty account?