Pronunciation

Old May 16th 2009, 5:50 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all
Default Pronunciation

My boys are called Matty and Shay - not MaRty and She!!!!!

Please tell me I'm not the only one that nobody can understand. Every time i spell out the letter 'A' they seem to think it's an 'E' - I've now taken to saying 'A' with an Austalian accent . . . a dodgey one at that!!

Kareena
Old May 16th 2009, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pronunciation

Try Lager and lime, my oh geordie accent still has trouble with the bar staff with that one.
Old May 16th 2009, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kar-kier

Please tell me I'm not the only one that nobody can understand. Every time i spell out the letter 'A' they seem to think it's an 'E' - I've now taken to saying 'A' with an Austalian accent . . . a dodgey one at that!!

Kareena
Same same.

Must be a north-east thing.

My boy's called Alfie not Elfie. My surname leaves them utterly bemused. And I want diet coke with my BigMac not diet cork.
Old May 16th 2009, 8:02 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

When you pronounce it to them say "Maddie" which translates to Matty in Australian.
Don't know about the other one
Old May 16th 2009, 8:06 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Same same.

Must be a north-east thing.

My boy's called Alfie not Elfie. My surname leaves them utterly bemused. And I want diet coke with my BigMac not diet cork.
Ahh.. I have a NE accent (sometimes.. its stronger when I've been talking to me Mam).. I have a terrible job making myself understood at MaccyDs Drive-Thru.. they insist on giving me Triple Quarterpounders instead of Double Quarterpounders.

Perhaps I should a) be a fatter cow and eat the triple quarterpounders or b ) be a less fat cow and stop eating MaccyDs or c) stop being a lazy cow and go inside or d) learn to talk proper, like.

(Disclaimer.. the burgers are really for the teenagers.. but I'm sure no one will really believe that)
Old May 16th 2009, 8:08 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kar-kier

Kareena
Wait till your kids start talking like that!!

As a newly arrived kiwi in London many years ago I had to change the way I pronounced my name. Works both ways I'm afraid.
Old May 16th 2009, 10:19 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jmh
Wait till your kids start talking like that!!

As a newly arrived kiwi in London many years ago I had to change the way I pronounced my name. Works both ways I'm afraid.
See, that's the thing, I understand everything they say, that is what confuses me more - I understand them, but they can't understand me!
Old May 16th 2009, 10:22 am
Living the dream!

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Ahh.. I have a NE accent (sometimes.. its stronger when I've been talking to me Mam).. I have a terrible job making myself understood at MaccyDs Drive-Thru.. they insist on giving me Triple Quarterpounders instead of Double Quarterpounders.

Perhaps I should a) be a fatter cow and eat the triple quarterpounders or b ) be a less fat cow and stop eating MaccyDs or c) stop being a lazy cow and go inside or d) learn to talk proper, like.

(Disclaimer.. the burgers are really for the teenagers.. but I'm sure no one will really believe that)
Don't get me started on Drive thrus!! My hubby refuses point blank to go through them anymore!
Old May 16th 2009, 10:37 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy

The thing that really annoys me is the inability of Aussies to pronounce "eu" properly, in that nearly all of them pronounce it "i". I'll give you some examples. MacDonalds is pronounced "Mick Donalds", Dymocks is pronounced "Dymicks". It would bother me so much if Aussies weren't so hypocritical and didn't take the piss out of the Kiwis for their inability to pronounce vowels.
Old May 16th 2009, 10:39 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

For my first year in this country when I had to introduce myself on the phone people thought my name was "Sum", I even used to spell it for them "S A M", "Hello Simon how can I help you". Used to drive me up the f#$king wall, so just to be understood I now HAVE to announce myself as "Saaaaaaaaaam"
Old May 16th 2009, 10:43 am
Living the dream!

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
For my first year in this country when I had to introduce myself on the phone people thought my name was "Sum", I even used to spell it for them "S A M", "Hello Simon how can I help you". Used to drive me up the f#$king wall, so just to be understood I now HAVE to announce myself as "Saaaaaaaaaam"
I can just imagine someone shouting SAAAAAAM down the phone! And I bet half of them still don't get it!
Old May 16th 2009, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Dymocks is pronounced "Dymicks".
Sorry, can't agree...Dymocks is pronounced, in Australia, as "Dimicks"...not...
"Diemocks".

I am continually trying to explain the eccentricities of english language pronunciation to my wife.....'she wound the bandage around the wound'.

Why is English a difficult language to learn? There are so many exceptions to rules and then, the pronunciations between England (between each village), Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Canada, US, NZ, SA et al makes the broth even richer.
Old May 16th 2009, 11:07 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by JR230898
Sorry, can't agree...Dymocks is pronounced, in Australia, as "Dimicks"...not...
"Diemocks".

I am continually trying to explain the eccentricities of english language pronunciation to my wife.....'she wound the bandage around the wound'.

Why is English a difficult language to learn? There are so many exceptions to rules and then, the pronunciations between England (between each village), Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Canada, US, NZ, SA et al makes the broth even richer.
I never said it should be "Diemocks" it should be "dimooks". My point is that it seems no Aussie can pronounce the "euc" or "ooc/k" sound "Mc" is either prounounced "mac" (which is totally different) or "mick".
Old May 16th 2009, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

I never said it should be "Diemocks" it should be "dimooks". My point is that it seems no Aussie can pronounce the "euc" or "ooc/k" sound "Mc" is either prounounced "mac" (which is totally different) or "mick".
There in lies an indication of the different perspectives we all have of just the pronunciation of English...phonetically...Dymocks...to me...should be pronounced 'Diemox'..it is difficult for me to understand how the 'mocks' part would be elongated to sound like 'moocks'.

Now...when you are using "euc"...how would you pronounce eucalyptus? To me, and to the vast majority of people in Australia, we try to produce a sound like "you calip tus"...interested to hear your take on this.
Old May 16th 2009, 11:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

No Aussie? Come on, various people in various countries would have issues but it's hardly a 'country' problem. A friend of mine used to work in the USA. His name is Ian but most of the people in worked with insisted on pronouncing it Eye an. Different areas of the UK pronounce words differently, as do areas of Australia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.