Pronounciation

Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:55 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pronounciation

I can say doona rather than duvet, manchester rather than linen etc. But I really can't get my head around pronouncing data as darta or memo as mee-mo.

Anyone else got words they can't get used to like this?
Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:56 am
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice
Default Re: Pronounciation

Originally Posted by worzel
I can say doona rather than duvet, manchester rather than linen etc. But I really can't get my head around pronouncing data as darta or memo as mee-mo.

what about row-ta instead of router or rowt instead of route ...
Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:57 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

yep Megan as Meegan...
Old Feb 10th 2006, 9:00 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cam_uk
Ah yes - that is a really important one - the best "root" between Perth and Geraldton is a girl who knows how to please her man and not the Brand Highway
Old Feb 10th 2006, 9:06 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Pronounciation

Originally Posted by cam_uk
Do I detect a network engineer at work here?

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Feb 10th 2006, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welshie
yep Megan as Meegan...
Had to get used to that one pretty quick, sons girlfriend is called meeegan.
JO
Old Feb 10th 2006, 9:31 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

I can't do Yo - gert.

New expressions are easy to pick up but to have to say a word differently to the way that you have been saying it for 30 (or more!!!) years makes me feel false. So, I'll say it my way!

Binbird
Old Feb 10th 2006, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Manchester instead of linen, whats that all about then? I lived in Aus til I was 10 but dont remember that one.

I wonder if I pick up my old aussie accent quickly?
Old Feb 10th 2006, 9:58 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lawlaw
Manchester instead of linen, whats that all about then? I lived in Aus til I was 10 but dont remember that one.

I wonder if I pick up my old aussie accent quickly?

Yeh when we lived in NZ I couldnt cope with calling linen "manchester".

I went into a shop with a visitor from the UK as she wanted to buy a towel. Upon being told she'd find them in the Manchester department she inquired whether that was between the Birmingham and the Carlisle departments.

The shop staff didn't get it

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Feb 10th 2006, 10:04 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Pronounciation

Originally Posted by lawlaw

Until about 1820 in NSW, all woven cotton cloth and clothing came from India.

Then came the Industrial Revolution in England when people learnt how to spin and weave cotton like the Indians, but by machine. Many mills were founded and prospered in Lancashire, with the city of Manchester as its centre.

In Australia, Indian cottons were gradually replaced by the machine-woven sheets, etc, imported from England.

The term "manchester" for these items was first mentioned in the Sydney Gazette in 1835 and in due course manchester became the generic term for all household linen.
Source.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 10:15 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Then came the Industrial Revolution in England when people learnt how to spin and weave cotton like the Indians, but by machine. Many mills were founded and prospered in Lancashire, with the city of Manchester as its centre.

In Australia, Indian cottons were gradually replaced by the machine-woven sheets, etc, imported from England.

The term "manchester" for these items was first mentioned in the Sydney Gazette in 1835 and in due course manchester became the generic term for all household linen.
Source.
Excellent. I am now going to start referring to all Australian lager as "Melbourne" being where both Fosters and Carlton have their HQs.

Tinnie of Melbourne anyone?

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Feb 10th 2006, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Yeh when we lived in NZ I couldnt cope with calling linen "manchester".

I went into a shop with a visitor from the UK as she wanted to buy a towel. Upon being told she'd find them in the Manchester department she inquired whether that was between the Birmingham and the Carlisle departments.

The shop staff didn't get it

Cheers

Buzzy

Classic
Old Feb 10th 2006, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pronounciation

How about Pronounciation instead of Pronunciation?
Old Feb 10th 2006, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Source.

Oh ok I get it, still thinks its a bit pony though. I will stick with linen.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Maroon will always be maroon to me and not marone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.