Reload this Page >

IT Project Management - Sydney

IT Project Management - Sydney

Old Oct 22nd 2014, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

mdavo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IT Project Management - Sydney

Hi,

Looking for some advice/pointers/feelers for IT Project Management work in Sydney. I am degree qualified and 4 years experience gained as a hybrid Business Analyst and Project Manager for a software house.

I would like to know what my chances are of being able to find a suitable role in Sydney or if I would be wasting my time? I have sent me CV out to a couple of recruiters with nothing back but I am still in the UK. I would look to move out to Sydney early in November, but cautious that I could end up spending alot of my savings to have little success in securing a role. Could anyone tell me what the market is like at the moment or if I should hold back for now?
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT Project Management - Sydney

Do you have a visa to enter on? That could be the first hurdle before you start thinking about jobs
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdavo
Hi,

Looking for some advice/pointers/feelers for IT Project Management work in Sydney. I am degree qualified and 4 years experience gained as a hybrid Business Analyst and Project Manager for a software house.

I would like to know what my chances are of being able to find a suitable role in Sydney or if I would be wasting my time? I have sent me CV out to a couple of recruiters with nothing back but I am still in the UK. I would look to move out to Sydney early in November, but cautious that I could end up spending alot of my savings to have little success in securing a role. Could anyone tell me what the market is like at the moment or if I should hold back for now?
The visa question is the important one here, some visas will make it a lot easier than others and some visas will make it very difficult.

I don't know too much about the IT market, but November is a tricky time because if you don't get something in first few weeks the market will be very quiet until February.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

Hi thanks for coming back. I am looking to go ahead with the 417 Working Holiday Visa and seek further sponsorship through an employee.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks for coming back. I am looking to go ahead with the 417 Working Holiday Visa and seek further sponsorship through an employee.
OK the WHV is one of the not so great visas and it is not too surprising that you haven't had any response for far whilst you are still in the UK. Once you are here, you are restricted to 6 months with any employer so you will need to target very short term projects, but beyond that, I guess it will come down to your ability to land jobs.

I would be surprised if there would be much need for sponsorship at the moment, with unemployment the way it is, but you never can tell. Skilled migration might be worth looking into if you wanted to move to Australia rather than just spend a year or two here.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Hi,

I think that it might be tight to get short term work in the 4Q of the year as the pool of labour get's filled with local Grads and most projects wind up recruitment from November till after Australia day.You may get an analyst role depending on your skills.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Hi thanks all.

That face that there is little work between November and Australia Day - is that down to the nature of when recruitment runs around Christmas etc?

I have thought about getting the Skilled Visa but there is obviously a significant price increase on this. I might be pushing my luck looking for a job over 6 months and asking them to sponsor me then I assume?

Icecube - I am currently a hybrid project manager and business analyst so I am hoping that will assist me along the way/set me aside from the crowd a little.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 2:38 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

End of November to end of January is peak of summer here, HR dept, managers etc on summer holidays so very little jobs going...or even being advertised, regardless of the job except those relating to tourism and hospitality who are trying to keep those holidaying happy
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

WHV is basically a tourist with work rights visa, as others have said, given the number of home grown grads out of work it's unlikely you'd get sponsorship. Its not a pathway to permanence by any means. Youd be more likely to get jobs making coffee and pouring beer.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

WelshBen is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a Business Analyst / Software Tester based in Melbourne. There is huge competition for roles and you'd be competing against permanent residents and citizens! I think you'd be extremely lucky to land a role on a WHV, especially one that would lead to sponsorship.

As mentioned above, if you are planning on moving long term then I'd recommend the skilled migration route - Business Analyst is on the skills list.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi thanks all.

That face that there is little work between November and Australia Day - is that down to the nature of when recruitment runs around Christmas etc?

I have thought about getting the Skilled Visa but there is obviously a significant price increase on this. I might be pushing my luck looking for a job over 6 months and asking them to sponsor me then I assume?

Icecube - I am currently a hybrid project manager and business analyst so I am hoping that will assist me along the way/set me aside from the crowd a little.
You could always see how you get on and then try for skilled migration if you are not getting anywhere in the WHV. Maybe get skills assessment underway before you leave. Unemployment is quite high in Australia and no company will sponsor unless they have to.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 11:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teza
HR dept, managers etc on summer holidays so very little jobs going
On the contrary. When these useless twats go out of town is the time to get the work done