Reload this Page >

Project Management Jobs

Project Management Jobs

Old Aug 24th 2005, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

itbestuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Project Management Jobs

Hi,
I work in the UK currently as a Technical Infrastructure Project Manager, which means that I manage the implementation of large IT infrastructures for companies, Governments etc. Does anyone else do this sort of job or does anyone know if this sort of skill is in demand in Australia and if so, then is the money about the same as in the UK and where is the work located?
Old Aug 25th 2005, 12:59 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Project Management Jobs

Originally Posted by itbestuk
Hi,
I work in the UK currently as a Technical Infrastructure Project Manager, which means that I manage the implementation of large IT infrastructures for companies, Governments etc. Does anyone else do this sort of job or does anyone know if this sort of skill is in demand in Australia and if so, then is the money about the same as in the UK and where is the work located?
Does the company you work for have an aussie office ? You could move with them perhaps.

The big players are the usual suspects IBM, EDS, HP, are all here. In Brissie , Sydney, Melbourne. Not sure about Perth. There is also Datacraft they seem to be more lower level box + implementation people than the SI companies.

There are also local outsource companies (Aus focused or AP focused) a google on 'outsourcing' in Australia will fill your page with prospective employers. Then a whack on their job pages will help get an idea of opportunities and salaries.

Have you got certification - might be worth getting a PMI accreditation or some formal recognition of your skills? . IBM at least recognises the PMI certification.

www.hays.com.au or www.seek.com.au in IT or management will help you as well. Hays executive may also be appropriate.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 1:07 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I would imagine Project Managers exist all over OZ, were always looking for good PM's and BA's in Perth.
As for salary etc, to many variables to take into account, your never going to be able to compare like for like. Sydney and Melbourne in general pay higher wages than the other cities, but then cost of living is generally higher.
Australia doesnt pay the same wages as the UK, but then (IMO)you should'nt be coming to Australia expecting to be able to jump into a role from day one and earn the same salary. I normally say to people be realistic and work on a minimum of a 25% pay cut.
If your coming to Perth and time soon drop me a PM with your resume.
Steve
Old Aug 25th 2005, 1:29 am
Just Joined

itbestuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spalen
Does the company you work for have an aussie office ? You could move with them perhaps.

The big players are the usual suspects IBM, EDS, HP, are all here. In Brissie , Sydney, Melbourne. Not sure about Perth. There is also Datacraft they seem to be more lower level box + implementation people than the SI companies.
Have you got certification - might be worth getting a PMI accreditation or some formal recognition of your skills? . IBM at least recognises the PMI certification.
I think the company I work for (SERCO) has opened an office in Sydney, I have been working for the Computer Sciences Corporation before joining SERCO and I am sure that they have sites in Australia.

Regarding the certification I am PRINCE2 Qualified.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 1:59 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the company I work for (SERCO) has opened an office in Sydney, I have been working for the Computer Sciences Corporation before joining SERCO and I am sure that they have sites in Australia.

Regarding the certification I am PRINCE2 Qualified.
Just sent you a PM.
Steve
Old Aug 25th 2005, 9:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

I have just joined a company that sells project mgt services based Melbourne www.terrafirma.com.au You'll get a job ok. We are recruiting - email your cv. Doubt they would sponsor immigration though.
The website will be offline until tomorrow am as we are changing service providers.
Ian
Old Aug 25th 2005, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

Hi

I'm an application development project manager, adn recently started work in Melbourne with a major bank.

You haven't said where you are heading, but if it it Sydney or Melbourne then it is there that your chances are best.

Having PMI or Prince 2 qualifications are more important here than the UK - at least in terms of getting agencies to pay attention to you. Employers are more regimented in there pigeon-holing of staff, per se, but as an infrastructure PM you should be okay in the two major cities. Having vendor/consulting experience would certainly be a boon.

Neil
Old Aug 25th 2005, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

Hi, I suggest you:
- go to http://www.jobserve.com.au
- in the Industries entry click None
- then click the IT checkbox
- then enter the search string project manager infrastructure
This returned 154 results today.

Then click the "Send me jobs like these by: Email" icon and fill in the form. This site will then send you all the new jobs each day, and you can review the job market over a period to help you decide.

Even better, you can have several email jobs feeds set up, for example one each for Sydney/Melbourne/etc, and use this to further categorise the jobs: just add the city name into the search criteria.

My main issue with the IT job market in Oz is that a lot of the jobs are with consultancies as there's a lot of outsourcing of work which obviously provides a market for them. I don't like consultancies, and prefer direct or contract employment, but that's a personal thing.