Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Processing of applications without a job offer

Processing of applications without a job offer

Old Jan 13th 2004, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Processing of NZ applications without a job offer

I thought I'd mention this, in case anyone is in the same boat as me.

I submitted an application last May, under the old rules. I didn't include a job offer and was hoping for a temporary work visa by now. After talking to the filing officer last month, and again today, I find that my application is unlikely to be considered for another 6 to 12 months, without a job offer. I don't know where all of these new, with job, applications are coming from but that's the situation.

Not that it has too much effect. I would ultimately need to find a job anyway, and will be going again in March to do just that, but having conditional approval and be able to work immediately would have been useful.

Last edited by sofistek; Jan 14th 2004 at 6:47 am.
Old Jan 13th 2004, 10:06 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Processing of applications without a job offer

Originally posted by sofistek

I submitted an application last May, under the old rules. I didn't include a job offer and was hoping for a temporary work visa by now. After talking to the filing officer last month, and again today, I find that my application is unlikely to be considered for another 6 to 12 months, without a job offer. I don't know where all of these new, with job, applications are coming from but that's the situation.

Not that it has too much effect. I would ultimately need to find a job anyway, and will be going again in March to do just that, but having conditional approval and be able to work immediately would have been useful.

gday sofistek

try

www.jobs.com.au m8 log ya details and fill in an online resume , just may help!
Old Jan 14th 2004, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Processing of NZ applications without a job offer

Sorry, I should have included NZ in the subject. I usually do but forgot, this time.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

A friend of mine has a job waiting in NZ, they were ready to send in their PR application in the hope it wouldn't take very long. They then found out that you have to write in with an expression of interest and then they will consider whether to let you apply or not Apparantley it is taking about 6 months for them to even look at the expressions of interest.

They are having to apply for a WHV and go on that, maybe that is why?
Old Jan 14th 2004, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by DianeOZ
A friend of mine has a job waiting in NZ, they were ready to send in their PR application in the hope it wouldn't take very long. They then found out that you have to write in with an expression of interest and then they will consider whether to let you apply or not Apparantley it is taking about 6 months for them to even look at the expressions of interest.

They are having to apply for a WHV and go on that, maybe that is why?
I was told that is is purely workload. For some reason, the new policy has increased the number of applications that have priority, rather than decreased it The person I spoke to also couldn't explain it.

It may be that the temporary change last July brought a glut of applications from those hoping to get in before the apparent lottery of the expressions of interest pool. Before they have been sorted, the new skilled migrant category will kick in, further increasing the workload in the short term. However, the filing officer was still confident that, if I submitted a job offer, my PR application could be turned round in under a month.

You could only submit expressions of interest from last month, and the first selections from the pool will only take place later this month, or next. So I'm not sure what you mean, Diane, by EOIs taking 6 months to even be looked at.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

It was obviously my friend being a bit hysterical - sorry for duff info.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tony,
Once you're in NZ and you get a job offer, you can go and see the NZIS and possibly get a work permit on the same day, as we did. Just remember to have copies of your paperwork and your NZIS correspondence with you.
We then got our PR application transferred from London to Auckland, and I was granted PR one week later! I still can't quite believe it myself!!!!

So it can be pretty quick if everythings in order.

Good luck in March, remind me and we can meet up?

Karen
Old Jan 14th 2004, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by The Simpsons
Hi Tony,
Once you're in NZ and you get a job offer, you can go and see the NZIS and possibly get a work permit on the same day, as we did. Just remember to have copies of your paperwork and your NZIS correspondence with you.
We then got our PR application transferred from London to Auckland, and I was granted PR one week later! I still can't quite believe it myself!!!!

So it can be pretty quick if everythings in order.

Good luck in March, remind me and we can meet up?

Karen
Hi Karen,

The filing officer confirmed that all of the information in my PR application would be accessible to agencies in New Zealand, if needed for a work visa application. However, I'm still going to take a lot of information with me, as you suggest.

What was the reasoning behind moving the application to Auckland? When I talked to the same NZIS emloyee in December, she said it would be quicker to leave it in the UK. However, you can't get much quicker than a week!

I'd love to meet up when I'm out there. I don't know my itinerary yet but I'll PM you when I do. I think I'll be starting in Auckland but there's a possibility that I might have to leg it to Wellington as soon as I get there.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point

What was the reasoning behind moving the application to Auckland? When I talked to the same NZIS emloyee in December, she said it would be quicker to leave it in the UK. However, you can't get much quicker than a week!
It was the NZIS officer in Auckland who said it would be quicker to have the application transferred. You have to put it in writing to the UK/London office, but as I said, it was damn quick!

I don't know why it would be quicker. I suppose, as an applicant, you're in NZ, actually working and have had paperwork checked already for the work permit, so sticking the PR in your passport isn't gonna be much effort, plus it gets you out of the huge pile you're stuck in at the UK office and onto the top of a pile on someone's desk when the post comes!

soon!
Old Jan 19th 2004, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by The Simpsons
It was the NZIS officer in Auckland who said it would be quicker to have the application transferred. You have to put it in writing to the UK/London office, but as I said, it was damn quick!
Hmm, I wonder if the various NZIS offices talk to each other. Not the offices themselves, of course, but the people working in the offices

Soon, indeed.