Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Problems with Police checks.......

Problems with Police checks.......

Old Apr 11th 2003, 9:26 pm
happy bunny!!

teresa.c is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Problems with Police checks.......

I am soooooo cross!!!!!!

You will just not believe what we have been through today!!!!
It could only happen to us!
Hubby got police checks, and his file stated he had a conviction(not any old conviction, but ABH against a police officer!!) for a crime he didnt commit!

Basically, to cut 6 hours of our day very short, it turns out his brothers conviction has gone onto hubby's file, and his brothers name is down as an'alias'. So they think hubby is a criminal, usung his brothers name as well as his own!!! What a nightmare we have had trying to sort it! We have been to Leicester Police HQ, I have faxed New Scotland Yard, phoned Thames Valley Police and bloody phone Aylesbury magistrates court to try to get some sense! Its funny how no-one can help us until Monday.
This is gonna take weeks to sort out, seeing as we gotta try to get police data officially changed.
Im worried now incase DIMIA dont give us an extension on our extension :scared:

What if we dont get in??

What a mad situation.

Sorry to blub but I feel so frustrated, its the weekend and Im gonna be spitting kittens until Monday when I can finally talk to someone to try and get this mess sorted!

I dont suppose anyone else has had this problem??? That would be hoping too much!
Old Apr 12th 2003, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Chris000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Did his brother use your husbands name as an alias when he was arrested then? I cant see how else this could have happened.

If this is this case maybe a voluntary statement from brother in law admitting that he used your husbands details in the past may speed up the process, tricky one though, good luck.

Chris.
Old Apr 12th 2003, 6:32 am
happy bunny!!

Originally posted by Chris
Hi,

Did his brother use your husbands name as an alias when he was arrested then? I cant see how else this could have happened.

If this is this case maybe a voluntary statement from brother in law admitting that he used your husbands details in the past may speed up the process, tricky one though, good luck.

Chris.
Hi Chris
Thanks for yoyr reply.
They were both arrested the same night at the same incident, his brother was convicted, hubby was let off!!! So the police obtained both names at the same time!. He def didnt use my husbands details any other time, because that was our first thought initially, but hubby was sure his brother wouldnt do that, they are quite close. We thought there may have been a mix up with paperwork on the night of arrest, birthdates are similar, initials exactly the same, even middle names!! The sgt we spoke to agreed that false details havent been given and said that the files were changed in 1992, but didnt know the reason why! Its all soo wierd.:scared:
Old Apr 12th 2003, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh my god. Keep calm !!

It will all work out in the end.

footie chick
Old Apr 12th 2003, 10:44 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Problems with Police checks.......

Originally posted by teresa.c
I am soooooo cross!!!!!!

Hubby got police checks, and his file stated he had a conviction(not any old conviction, but ABH against a police officer!!) for a crime he didnt commit!

Basically, to cut 6 hours of our day very short, it turns out his brothers conviction has gone onto hubby's file, and his brothers name is down as an'alias'. So they think hubby is a criminal, usung his brothers name as well as his own!!! What a nightmare we have had trying to sort it! We have been to Leicester Police HQ, I have faxed New Scotland Yard, phoned Thames Valley Police and bloody phone Aylesbury magistrates court to try to get some sense! Its funny how no-one can help us until Monday.
This is gonna take weeks to sort out, seeing as we gotta try to get police data officially changed.

What if we dont get in??

What a mad situation.

Sorry to blub but I feel so frustrated, its the weekend and Im gonna be spitting kittens until Monday when I can finally talk to someone to try and get this mess sorted!

I dont suppose anyone else has had this problem??? That would be hoping too much!

This is such a bummer for you! I'm sure you will be able to sort it out but you will really have to be a pain in the ass to them to get it sorted promptly.
I think this illustrates a point for everyone though. When we were putting our application together i requested police checks way before they were needed. I was worried of tales of incorrect details on credit checks i had heard about and was worried that the same could be possible for police checks. Ours were fine but if they hadn't been we would have had ample time to sort it out, and at only £10 each it was worth it for peace of mind. I just requested them again when the time came for putting the application in.

Based on your experience i would recommend this for everyone. Best of luck sorting this out.

Paula
Old Apr 12th 2003, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sindy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Teresa

AAAAAGH, so sorry to read what has happened. What a nightmare! As if things are not stressful enough.

I hope you manage to clear things up quickly, keep us posted on how things develope. Good luck

Sindy
Old Apr 13th 2003, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

I am soooooo cross!!!!!!

What if we dont get in??

What a mad situation.

Hi

Just a quick thought. Why don't you start to quote the data protection act to the police. That they have to make good any mistakes or incorrect data stored on thier computer systems.

Also if your brother inlaw was charged then they will have his fingerprints and you can therefore prove it was him and not the hubby.

KS
Old Apr 13th 2003, 7:14 am
happy bunny!!

Originally posted by shorrock
Hi

Just a quick thought. Why don't you start to quote the data protection act to the police. That they have to make good any mistakes or incorrect data stored on thier computer systems.

Also if your brother inlaw was charged then they will have his fingerprints and you can therefore prove it was him and not the hubby.

KS
Thanks for that, but we tried the fingerprint route, brother in law refused to have prints done at the time!! hubbys prints were unidentifiable
Old Apr 13th 2003, 8:41 am

bored_bean is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that, but we tried the fingerprint route, brother in law refused to have prints done at the time!! hubbys prints were unidentifiable
Get hold of someone as high up as possible. Let them know that *their* data is inaccurate and that any incidental costs *you* incur whilst they sort it out will be passed on to them. Don't be rude, but be forceful and keep reminding them that it is their mistake, they have libelled your husband, and that you want to see results yesterday. The higher up you go, and the more forceful (but not rude) you are, the more likely you are to get this rectified quickly. The intervention of a lawyer/MP/press may help but give them a chance to fix it first
Old Apr 13th 2003, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Hi,

Prints, photograph and in some cases DNA are taken by force if the prisoner is charged with a criminal offence, its not normally a choice. This is a strange one.

Chris.

Old Apr 13th 2003, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Hi again,

What sort of "file" did your husband have for the police to put the wrong details on? Sorry to be nosey but this a strange situation you find yourselves in.

If a person was not charged or found not guilty at court there would be no police record.

Also it might be worth hubbys brother having a data protection check carried out to see if there is a conviction recorded against him for this same offence, if only one person was charged and convicted of the offence it can only be recorded once, (for can, read should!!), the other thing is to find out what effect all this will have on your application (it may have none...who knows!)

Chris.
Old Apr 14th 2003, 6:07 pm
happy bunny!!

Default all sorted...i hope!

You will be pleased to know it has all been sorted, well I hope!!
Thames Valley Police data protection office have located the problem and have promised to sort it all out! The trouble now is that we have to re-apply to scotland yard for more checks taking another 6 weeks

Not too bad after all!!!
Old Apr 14th 2003, 7:15 pm

kevwalt is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to hear you've got it sorted. You never know if you write a covering letter with your next police check they might process it a bit quicker being as it was their mistake in the first place.

Best of luck

Kate
Old Apr 15th 2003, 12:29 pm
happy bunny!!

Originally posted by kevwalt
Glad to hear you've got it sorted. You never know if you write a covering letter with your next police check they might process it a bit quicker being as it was their mistake in the first place.

Best of luck

Kate
Hi Kate
New police check went off this morning with a very, very,nice covering letter!!!!
Hope it works!!!