Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Problems in Melbourne?

Problems in Melbourne?

Old Dec 8th 2016, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problems in Melbourne?

Originally Posted by sr71
Different types of Muslims (more Lebanese for example) and different dynamics in society than the UK.

Very few places I'd feel unsafe in Melbourne
In some ways it's almost a desired experience to go somewhere edgy in Melbourne, such is the inherently safe feel of the place, whether that safe feeling is based on true facts or not is possibly a valid point. Footscray has definitely lost a lot of it's dodgy vibe in the last five years.... I kind of miss that myself. On one trip there I went to a grocers shop on the outside of the market to buy some under the counter, yet amusingly out in the open illegal fireworks.... A almost nostalgic "Something bad could happen" South London vibe back then.

Last place in Aus I walked around where I figured I had to watch myself, was in Parramatta Sydney... Witnessed quite a few things, ice heads tripping and a bloke being chased after a robbery and plenty of people with seemingly plenty of 'Tude in one arvo up there. I'd go back though simply on the basis that it's so unusual here in Aus to see stuff in a concentrated form like that. Plus the away football will take me there with Melbourne Victory.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 8th 2016 at 1:18 am.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Is it broke? If not, don't fix it.
Do you have a much better offer to go to? If not, don't go.
Are you prepared to gamble, ball park £50k? If not, don't go.
Are you someone who sees life as a series of adventures rather than a need to put down roots in concrete? If so, then you have little to lose.
Melbourne wouldn't be my place of choice, not with Daniel Andrews at the helm anyway but each to their own.
If it works, it works, if it doesn't then move on, no shame in that, just don't burn any bridges - rent out your beautiful home in the country, suck it and see.
I think this is very good advice (once again Quoll) if I were happy with my lot in life then I would not risk migrating for all the "tea in china" .
Old Dec 21st 2016, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

WWBiscuit is an unknown quantity at this point

Melbourne really is all about the suburb in which you choose to live and, by extension, those where you choose to hang out. Melburnians tend to make a statement in this way.

As a result, the violence to which the OP alludes is very compartmentalised. I think south-eastern suburbs such as Dandenong and Noble Park may be problematic. Also, northern suburbs such as Broadmeadows and Roxburgh Park seem to be always in the news for the wrong reasons. However, it's not like UK cities at all - where otherwise lovely and affluent areas have a god-awful housing estate plonked somewhere in it. For instance, one of the roughest schools in London is in Chelsea! You won't see that in Melbourne.

The vast majority of suburbs in Melbourne are extremely safe, and do not experience transient populations of trouble-makers coming through them.