Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Problem using Nationwide card

Problem using Nationwide card

Old Sep 12th 2007, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

ashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really nice
Default Problem using Nationwide card

Hi,

I have been having problems using my credit and debit cards here in Brisbane. They work fine in the ATMs to draw out cash, but the EFTPOS terminals decline them. I am mainly trying to use my Nationwide Flexaccount card.

One possibility is that the salesperson has to chose whether it's a "Credit" account vs a "Cheque" account vs a "Savings" account. We don't have this sort of thing in the UK.

Any ideas?

Cheers!
Old Sep 12th 2007, 12:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problem using Nationwide card

Originally Posted by ashwood
Hi,

I have been having problems using my credit and debit cards here in Brisbane. They work fine in the ATMs to draw out cash, but the EFTPOS terminals decline them. I am mainly trying to use my Nationwide Flexaccount card.

One possibility is that the salesperson has to chose whether it's a "Credit" account vs a "Cheque" account vs a "Savings" account. We don't have this sort of thing in the UK.

Any ideas?

Cheers!
If tis a UK card, ALWAYS go for the credit option. Doesn't matter what sort of UK account its drawn on, when they ask you "cheque savings or credit", always go for "credit"
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:01 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Yep Pollyanna is right, always go for credit!
WE were there last month, armed with our Nationwide cards!
Also ask to key in your PIN number if it gives them the option, as mine was declined after a couple of times of not bothering to key it in!

Hope this helps a bit!

Ali
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

oh used his in perth in may and when he was in coles and woolworths he had to sign the recipt like the olde days be4 pin no
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:07 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

forgot to say, you'll have to sign as well as Oz hasn't quite managed to move onto PIN only yet... although NZ have!

Ali x
Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

Had my first problem using mine today, it was on a new machine that reads the chip part of the card & was declined for reason 12 - whatever that is ? lady in the shop says they have only had the chip reader for a month, so I'm wondering if its no longer compatable ? Used it the the after & it was fine
Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

flump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by woogle
Had my first problem using mine today, it was on a new machine that reads the chip part of the card & was declined for reason 12 - whatever that is ? lady in the shop says they have only had the chip reader for a month, so I'm wondering if its no longer compatable ? Used it the the after & it was fine
Hi

Glad that has been brought up, just applied for a nationwaide flex account for our trip in a few wks, would have been panicking if it was declined!! So its 'credit' even when u you the debit card?

Claire
x
Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by flump
Hi

Glad that has been brought up, just applied for a nationwaide flex account for our trip in a few wks, would have been panicking if it was declined!! So its 'credit' even when u you the debit card?

Claire
x
Yeah the savings/cheque account thing took a while for me to get used to. But any card with a chip and the Visa sign just say 'credit' and then you'll have to sign a receipt.
Normal debit cards require you to put your pin in (even though they have no chip)
Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

flump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Stella340
Yeah the savings/cheque account thing took a while for me to get used to. But any card with a chip and the Visa sign just say 'credit' and then you'll have to sign a receipt.
Normal debit cards require you to put your pin in (even though they have no chip)
Great thanks. Fingers crossed the cards come thru in time, only 2 1/2 wks till we visit.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

ashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really nice

Thanks for all the replies and advice! Yes, you have to say "credit" or press the "credit" button on the PIN machine, and the card wil be accepted. You learn something everyday
Old Sep 14th 2007, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the replies and advice! Yes, you have to say "credit" or press the "credit" button on the PIN machine, and the card wil be accepted. You learn something everyday
just realised u are not far from us in the uk.

when do u get back frm your trip? and where are you visiting, just brisbane or are u travelling to other areas?

Claire
Old Sep 14th 2007, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Ah, Doncaster. Used to commute to Donny every day for a year. Came to Brisbane only 3 days ago but severely homesick. I'll be lucky if I last 6 months here Tempted to get on the next flight home. I'm supposed to be working here for a year.

Hopefully will feel better when I start working on Monday...! Things like the cost of living, cost of renting, cost of buying a car, difficulties getting broadband etc. etc. etc. aren't helping matters. Oh well!
Old Sep 14th 2007, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Ah, Doncaster. Used to commute to Donny every day for a year. Came to Brisbane only 3 days ago but severely homesick. I'll be lucky if I last 6 months here Tempted to get on the next flight home. I'm supposed to be working here for a year.

Hopefully will feel better when I start working on Monday...! Things like the cost of living, cost of renting, cost of buying a car, difficulties getting broadband etc. etc. etc. aren't helping matters. Oh well!
Hi

Do u have any family with you??

what is the weather like at the moment?

Yes hopefully when u start work and meeting other people you will start to feel less homesick.

TAke Care and keep smiling
Claire
Old Sep 14th 2007, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Wife and kids are still back home for the moment until I get things settled here. Hopefully won't be long. Weather's nice - about 20 degrees I think, occasionally cloudy.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 2:36 pm
Ping pong PoM

Being stuck the other side of the world without your nearest and dearest will get you wanting to scurry back home...

When are they coming over? My guess if it's a year, you're going to struggle with homesickness. Hope it soon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.