British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Problem using Nationwide card (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/problem-using-nationwide-card-480645/)

ashwood Sep 12th 2007 12:30 pm

Problem using Nationwide card

Hi,

I have been having problems using my credit and debit cards here in Brisbane. They work fine in the ATMs to draw out cash, but the EFTPOS terminals decline them. I am mainly trying to use my Nationwide Flexaccount card.

One possibility is that the salesperson has to chose whether it's a "Credit" account vs a "Cheque" account vs a "Savings" account. We don't have this sort of thing in the UK.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Pollyana Sep 12th 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Problem using Nationwide card

Originally Posted by ashwood (Post 5302201)
Hi,

I have been having problems using my credit and debit cards here in Brisbane. They work fine in the ATMs to draw out cash, but the EFTPOS terminals decline them. I am mainly trying to use my Nationwide Flexaccount card.

One possibility is that the salesperson has to chose whether it's a "Credit" account vs a "Cheque" account vs a "Savings" account. We don't have this sort of thing in the UK.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

If tis a UK card, ALWAYS go for the credit option. Doesn't matter what sort of UK account its drawn on, when they ask you "cheque savings or credit", always go for "credit" :)

alipally Sep 12th 2007 3:01 pm

Yep Pollyanna is right, always go for credit!
WE were there last month, armed with our Nationwide cards!
Also ask to key in your PIN number if it gives them the option, as mine was declined after a couple of times of not bothering to key it in!

Hope this helps a bit!

Ali

hitchcock71 Sep 12th 2007 3:03 pm

oh used his in perth in may and when he was in coles and woolworths he had to sign the recipt like the olde days be4 pin no

alipally Sep 12th 2007 3:07 pm

forgot to say, you'll have to sign as well as Oz hasn't quite managed to move onto PIN only yet... although NZ have!

Ali x

woogle Sep 14th 2007 8:05 am

Had my first problem using mine today, it was on a new machine that reads the chip part of the card & was declined for reason 12 - whatever that is ? lady in the shop says they have only had the chip reader for a month, so I'm wondering if its no longer compatable ? Used it the the after & it was fine :confused:

flump Sep 14th 2007 8:26 am

Originally Posted by woogle (Post 5310027)
Had my first problem using mine today, it was on a new machine that reads the chip part of the card & was declined for reason 12 - whatever that is ? lady in the shop says they have only had the chip reader for a month, so I'm wondering if its no longer compatable ? Used it the the after & it was fine :confused:

Hi

Glad that has been brought up, just applied for a nationwaide flex account for our trip in a few wks, would have been panicking if it was declined!! So its 'credit' even when u you the debit card?

Claire
x

Stella340 Sep 14th 2007 8:30 am

Originally Posted by flump (Post 5310089)
Hi

Glad that has been brought up, just applied for a nationwaide flex account for our trip in a few wks, would have been panicking if it was declined!! So its 'credit' even when u you the debit card?

Claire
x

Yeah the savings/cheque account thing took a while for me to get used to. But any card with a chip and the Visa sign just say 'credit' and then you'll have to sign a receipt.
Normal debit cards require you to put your pin in (even though they have no chip) :blink:

flump Sep 14th 2007 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Stella340 (Post 5310097)
Yeah the savings/cheque account thing took a while for me to get used to. But any card with a chip and the Visa sign just say 'credit' and then you'll have to sign a receipt.
Normal debit cards require you to put your pin in (even though they have no chip) :blink:

Great thanks. Fingers crossed the cards come thru in time, only 2 1/2 wks till we visit.

ashwood Sep 14th 2007 11:35 am

Thanks for all the replies and advice! Yes, you have to say "credit" or press the "credit" button on the PIN machine, and the card wil be accepted. You learn something everyday :rofl:

flump Sep 14th 2007 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by ashwood (Post 5310556)
Thanks for all the replies and advice! Yes, you have to say "credit" or press the "credit" button on the PIN machine, and the card wil be accepted. You learn something everyday :rofl:

just realised u are not far from us in the uk.

when do u get back frm your trip? and where are you visiting, just brisbane or are u travelling to other areas?

Claire

ashwood Sep 14th 2007 1:36 pm

Ah, Doncaster. :) Used to commute to Donny every day for a year. Came to Brisbane only 3 days ago but severely homesick. I'll be lucky if I last 6 months here :confused: Tempted to get on the next flight home. I'm supposed to be working here for a year.

Hopefully will feel better when I start working on Monday...! Things like the cost of living, cost of renting, cost of buying a car, difficulties getting broadband etc. etc. etc. aren't helping matters. Oh well! :blink:

flump Sep 14th 2007 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by ashwood (Post 5311082)
Ah, Doncaster. :) Used to commute to Donny every day for a year. Came to Brisbane only 3 days ago but severely homesick. I'll be lucky if I last 6 months here :confused: Tempted to get on the next flight home. I'm supposed to be working here for a year.

Hopefully will feel better when I start working on Monday...! Things like the cost of living, cost of renting, cost of buying a car, difficulties getting broadband etc. etc. etc. aren't helping matters. Oh well! :blink:

Hi

Do u have any family with you??

what is the weather like at the moment?

Yes hopefully when u start work and meeting other people you will start to feel less homesick.

TAke Care and keep smiling
Claire

ashwood Sep 14th 2007 2:21 pm

Wife and kids are still back home for the moment until I get things settled here. Hopefully won't be long. Weather's nice - about 20 degrees I think, occasionally cloudy.

alipally Sep 14th 2007 2:36 pm

Being stuck the other side of the world without your nearest and dearest will get you wanting to scurry back home...

When are they coming over? My guess if it's a year, you're going to struggle with homesickness. Hope it soon