Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Probably an old question but...

Probably an old question but...

Old Jan 4th 2004, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

glasgowbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Probably an old question but...

I am heading out to Sydney at the end of January on a three month tourist visa - I am planning to stay with my Australian boyfriend (we are going to rent together). I am hoping to get work while I am out there (a sponsoring employer) as I'm potentially a skilled migrant (though bizarrely having spent the last year on a full time post grad course I cannot migrate this way cos I have not been working in my profession for 12 out of the last 18 months!!), but the theory is my qualifications in one of the areas in which Australia has a skills shortage will have them desperate to employ me

While I am looking for work we will be living together and therefore laying down 'evidence' of our relationship so that we can potentially apply for sponsorship through the partner migration route. (Oh and BTW too old for a one year working visa)

Am I being a totally naive fool?
Old Jan 4th 2004, 7:52 pm
Semper Vigilante

ButtonMoon is an unknown quantity at this point

why would you think you are being naive ?
I met an Aussie girl in the UK in 1996 and two months later,moved here to Oz.
Go for it.What's the worst that can happen ?
I guess you shouldbe aware of the pressures...the application process took two years and if you start to find out things about your boyfriend in that time that you don't like then you have to face some home truths.Do you put up with it or call it off and return home ?
Will the fella chuck you in that time ?
Will he think your only motivation for being here is to get residency.You need to be very open about it.
If you decide to do it , he will have to fill in forms,attend interviews etc.He needs to be comitted to the cause.
You will need to pay the cost of a non refundable application fee( about $1500) pay for medicals etc.After the two years,you will both need to prove you are still together.It's quite invasive.
Make sure you have all the bills in joint names etc.They basically want you to prove you are an item and are comitted to each other.
Ask yourself why you are thinking about it, what is your motivation ?This may help you take the right path.
Remember that once you get over the initial ' tourist fever' then life is the same here as anywhere..bills, hassles,work etc.
Good luck in your decisions.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 7:55 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Probably an old question but...

Originally posted by glasgowbird
I am heading out to Sydney at the end of January on a three month tourist visa - I am planning to stay with my Australian boyfriend (we are going to rent together). I am hoping to get work while I am out there (a sponsoring employer) as I'm potentially a skilled migrant (though bizarrely having spent the last year on a full time post grad course I cannot migrate this way cos I have not been working in my profession for 12 out of the last 18 months!!), but the theory is my qualifications in one of the areas in which Australia has a skills shortage will have them desperate to employ me

While I am looking for work we will be living together and therefore laying down 'evidence' of our relationship so that we can potentially apply for sponsorship through the partner migration route. (Oh and BTW too old for a one year working visa)

Am I being a totally naive fool?
What is your qualification then we can judge your foolishness. How much evidence do you have? Did you know that London AHC partner applications can take a matter of weeks (when front end loaded) whilst Australian onshore applications can take 6 months. You might be better off collecting evidence in the UK.

Your other hurdle is Australian immigration who can turn you straight back to Britain if they suspect you are here for anything other than a trip. It is unlikely but still a possibility. The you will need money for those trips to Auckland or Fiji to renew your ETA.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

Hey Button Moon, thanks for that. Nice to know it works when you go for the 'drop everything and just rock up' option. A lot of the posts on this forum seem to suggest that it is one almightly difficult and time consuming process before you even get there.

As for motivation - well its the fella, isn't it always
Old Jan 4th 2004, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

Hey Bondipom

I'm a chartered accountant. Relationship is fairly new (met on holiday in Aus few months ago). . Evidence of relationship therefore so far scant, need to live together yet! but will do immediately on arrival as (hopefully) joint lease holders.

Appreciate the added expense of ducking out of the country to renew ETA, also aware of need to make sure immigration relaise it is only a trip

I'm new to this what do you mean front end loaded re Aus HC application in London, cheers
Old Jan 4th 2004, 8:22 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Front End Load is when you lodge your application with police checks and medicals. Good luck on the job applications and my only suggestion would be to try and get sponsored from the UK. Hopefully an accountant will be able to suggest your chances of success in job hunting.

BTW when you lodge a partner application in Australia you will get a bridging visa that gives you the same work rights as your current visa.

Bridging visas have some travel restrictions.

For all things partner application check out booklet 1127 from www.immi.gov.au/allforms .

I got my provisional spouse visa in the UK over 2 years ago and recently got my permanent residence.