Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private school's v State schools

Private school's v State schools

Old May 22nd 2005, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Private school's v State schools

Husband concerned about returning to oz for

a) Healthcare
b) Education

Both can be tackled, but you obviously need money. We've already decided that healthcare is a huge priority and we would never live in oz without our Medibank insurance. Education is equally as important and, to be honest, we weren't impressed with some of the state schools we visited. We have three boys who are doing well in their school in the UK, so do we go private in aus? With one full time wage and one part time wage we could afford it (just). I know a lot of you have experience of the private system. realistically how much per year will we be looking to fork out? We're used to making financial cuts (have been practising here in the UK). Any info gratefully received.
Old May 22nd 2005, 8:25 pm
blossom

Default Re: Private school's v State schools

Originally Posted by glittababe
Husband concerned about returning to oz for

a) Healthcare
b) Education

Both can be tackled, but you obviously need money. We've already decided that healthcare is a huge priority and we would never live in oz without our Medibank insurance. Education is equally as important and, to be honest, we weren't impressed with some of the state schools we visited. We have three boys who are doing well in their school in the UK, so do we go private in aus? With one full time wage and one part time wage we could afford it (just). I know a lot of you have experience of the private system. realistically how much per year will we be looking to fork out? We're used to making financial cuts (have been practising here in the UK). Any info gratefully received.
I can understand your concerns, but it would really depend on where you plan to settle. When we were there in the 80's and 90's our daughter initially went into the state school system, but we soon moved her to the catholic private school where she continued her education up to year 10. She then won a scholarship to the top school in the area. However, I have to say that from the three different systems the two private catholic schools were excellent and 'affordable'. Whereas the last school she attended would definitely have been overstretching us had we had to pay the full fees, or that we would have seriously had to cut back on our lifestyle.

When we return, we shall be taking two grandchildren with us and they will definitely go into the private catholic school system. Can't help you with costs I'm afraid as our experience was some years ago and each school sets its own charges.

If you do a search on the internet and look at schools in the area you think you will settle, why not write to them for a list of their charges -that will help you in your decision making.

Good luck to you all whatever you decide.

best wishes
Blossom

Old May 22nd 2005, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blossom
I can understand your concerns, but it would really depend on where you plan to settle. When we were there in the 80's and 90's our daughter initially went into the state school system, but we soon moved her to the catholic private school where she continued her education up to year 10. She then won a scholarship to the top school in the area. However, I have to say that from the three different systems the two private catholic schools were excellent and 'affordable'. Whereas the last school she attended would definitely have been overstretching us had we had to pay the full fees, or that we would have seriously had to cut back on our lifestyle.

When we return, we shall be taking two grandchildren with us and they will definitely go into the private catholic school system. Can't help you with costs I'm afraid as our experience was some years ago and each school sets its own charges.

If you do a search on the internet and look at schools in the area you think you will settle, why not write to them for a list of their charges -that will help you in your decision making.

Good luck to you all whatever you decide.best wishes
Blossom
Thanks Blossom,

We 'think' we'll be back in the Redland Bay area (all going well). We'd prefer a Christian based school for them as they're at one at the moment. Will check out the BaysideBrits
site and see what they recommend. many thanks annie
Old May 22nd 2005, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Hi annie

Budgeting for healthcare and education is essential.

Health cover for our family cost $2593 a year, we also seem to average about $3000 a year in gaps and fees on top of this. Thats routine dental etc nobodys been in hosp except one child for one day.

Private schools, the catholic ones are cheap, but the waiting lists are very long and most up here wont even look at you unless you are practising catholics. Even the one thats $8000 a pop has waiting lists, imagine that bill on aussie wages with three kids :scared:

Another one to allow for is Pensions, the OZ pension is asset and income tested, few will get one, allow to provide for your own retirement too.

Hope your all OK
Old May 22nd 2005, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Hi annie

Budgeting for healthcare and education is essential.

Health cover for our family cost $2593 a year, we also seem to average about $3000 a year in gaps and fees on top of this. Thats routine dental etc nobodys been in hosp except one child for one day.

Private schools, the catholic ones are cheap, but the waiting lists are very long and most up here wont even look at you unless you are practising catholics. Even the one thats $8000 a pop has waiting lists, imagine that bill on aussie wages with three kids :scared:

Another one to allow for is Pensions, the OZ pension is asset and income tested, few will get one, allow to provide for your own retirement too.

Hope your all OK

Hi there! Thanks for that. We're all ok over here, still weighing up all our options. Can't believe the amount you pay for healthcare....thats shocking!!!!! I was just going to keep our Medibank insurance going (thats $3000 plus per year), didn't think about gap payments etc Some more things to think about.

Nice over here at the moment. weather warming up, everywhere very green and blooming. Kids are starting to play out everyday and we brought a trampoline!!!! Kids love it but we've had so many injuries!!!

Will carry on putting together our 'plan', finances are the main concern as we know how expensive it is to live! Kids never see a dr or go to hospital here, but we had numerous trips to hospital there. Just bad luck I suppose! Take care and speak to you soon, love annie
Old May 23rd 2005, 12:24 am
ABCDiamond

Catholic schools that are funded with Public funds must have at least 7 per cent non-Catholic students, but on average more than double that number attended Catholic schools last year. (From a report dated April 8th, 2005)

Catholic schools receive 73 per cent of their income from Public funds, which assists in keeping fees down.

Our local Catholic School charges:
Preschool - $1520 per year per child
Primary:
1 Child Family - $1490 per year
2 Child Family - $1970 per year (= $985 each)
3 or more Child Family - $2285 for 3 children + $150 for each extra child per year

This includes:
Tuition, PT&F Levy, School Levies, Building & Maintenance Levy, School Building Fund Contribution.

Old May 23rd 2005, 9:08 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Glittababe,
Our daughter goes to Redland college in wellington point, its a non-denominational christian school. We pay $700 per term for year 2. This includes books, stationary and excursions and the only addition is uniform, though that is pricey. It is worth every cent to us after a bad experience with a local state school, I would say it compares with the catholic primary she attended in england (where she'll return when we go back next year.)
Good luck,
Michaela
Old May 23rd 2005, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mcmercer
Hi Glittababe,
Our daughter goes to Redland college in wellington point, its a non-denominational christian school. We pay $700 per term for year 2. This includes books, stationary and excursions and the only addition is uniform, though that is pricey. It is worth every cent to us after a bad experience with a local state school, I would say it compares with the catholic primary she attended in england (where she'll return when we go back next year.)
Good luck,
Michaela
Are you definately coming back then? Where will you be heading for? Are you heading back for the winter or summer? Ooooo so many questions. Yesterday we wanted to head back to aus, today we went shopping (clothes etc) and had a lovely dinner at local restaurant (outside as sun shining and 22 degrees), overlooking the fields and countryside. It was great! We took a walk back through village, picked the kids up from school and now we're having a chilled out evening before work tomorrow! Decisions, decisions X
Old May 23rd 2005, 7:08 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcmercer
Hi Glittababe,
Good luck,
Michaela
Call me thick!! but what are the age bands i.e year 2 is, year 3 is

Thanks

Karen
Old May 23rd 2005, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

delbert is an unknown quantity at this point
Default medicare

Originally Posted by glittababe
Hi there! Thanks for that. We're all ok over here, still weighing up all our options. Can't believe the amount you pay for healthcare....thats shocking!!!!! I was just going to keep our Medibank insurance going (thats $3000 plus per year), didn't think about gap payments etc Some more things to think about.

Nice over here at the moment. weather warming up, everywhere very green and blooming. Kids are starting to play out everyday and we brought a trampoline!!!! Kids love it but we've had so many injuries!!!

Will carry on putting together our 'plan', finances are the main concern as we know how expensive it is to live! Kids never see a dr or go to hospital here, but we had numerous trips to hospital there. Just bad luck I suppose! Take care and speak to you soon, love annie
Hello

Whats up with Medicare?It was perfectly fine for us and if you wish to have private cover you have to pay for it like anything else.If you complain about the expense don't have it !
Old May 23rd 2005, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough
Default Re: medicare

Originally Posted by delbert
Hello

Whats up with Medicare?It was perfectly fine for us and if you wish to have private cover you have to pay for it like anything else.If you complain about the expense don't have it !
I have lived here over 20 years. We've had two kids and brought them up with no private cover. When necessary have paid out of my own pocket. Must be quids in.
Old May 23rd 2005, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by delbert
Hello

The gov has tailored the tax system so that those earning over $50,000 or $100,00 a family, have no option to take out private health cover, otherwise on top of the medicare levy you receive another levy for not having private.

You are also penalised each year you dont join, join up after 30 and the premium will carry a penalty for each year you did not join. (there is an exemption for migrants for the first year they arrive).

Or just a few other examples of why people take private.

Medicare does not cover dental, suppose you child need braces, several thousand. Or like me one tooth needs a crown the dentist is quoting $1200.

Medicare does not cover prescriptions.

Those living outside of a major city will find many things hard to access without private cover.

Waiting lists on medicare are long in hospitals, in many cases of cancer surgery especially, take the recent Kylie Minogue example, have money or private cover and your operated on the same week, I know for a fact that would not have happened on medicare. Money may not buy you happiness but it can buy your health

Last edited by jad n rich; May 23rd 2005 at 9:30 pm.
Old May 24th 2005, 12:06 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by wargod
Call me thick!! but what are the age bands i.e year 2 is, year 3 is

Thanks

Karen
My daughter is in year 4 , she is 9 (tommorrow )
Most of her class are aged 8 or 9, she is about in the middle of the age range of the class.

Old May 24th 2005, 12:26 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Quokka
I have lived here over 20 years. We've had two kids and brought them up with no private cover. When necessary have paid out of my own pocket. Must be quids in.
I'm about the same, having lived here for about 15 years in total, and if I calculate what I have spent compared to what the insurance would have cost, I am way ahead, and been very happy with all medical treatment that I have needed, with one recent exception (the hospital lost my file)

However, I also know others who have claimed more than they have paid in insurance.

It is like all Insurance, it is there for the important occassion.

But be aware of its limitations, eg: claim limits. Braces for example can cost thousands, but check how much the insurer will actually cover, it may be only 50% or less.
eg: With Medibank Private, they quote: "$500 Annual claim Limit- Combined General Dental and Endodontic Services " on their First Choice Extras plan.
Although their "Blue Ribbon" plan says "General Dental - No annual limit", but
Endodontic Services (eg root canal treatment) has a $400-$800 annual limit.
And Orthodontics has a Lifetime limit of $2,400. And this is on the top of the range plan.

Ensure you check out the plan you go for very carefully.

Old May 24th 2005, 3:34 am
Sand, sea and serenity

Milo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the rough

My two eldest (years 9 and 12) are in public school and yougest is in year 4 at catholic private school, no complaints from either. If all had to go to private we believe would have been difficult for us. But that's not the reason we put the elder children in public school though, we just couldn't get them into the catholic private school when we first moved here, they had been out of school for a while and we wanted them to go back as soon as possible, the school we have chosen was definitely the best school, we have found the teachers excellent, in fact much more interested in them as people than the catholic school they attended in the UK.

Marie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.