Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private Schools...

Private Schools...

Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:22 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light
Default Private Schools...

Are private schools in Aus. really cheap ?? As there seem to be a lot of people talking about sending there kids there...
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Private Schools...

Originally Posted by CORKER
Are private schools in Aus. really cheap ?? As there seem to be a lot of people talking about sending there kids there...
Apparently more than 1/4 of all school children go to an independent school (in Melbourne) which means there is obviously a draw to them (inefficient govt. schools perhaps, I am not sure as I don't have children). But I think as in most places they vary from quite reasonable to very very expensive.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CORKER
They are cheaper than UK private schools because here the funds that state schools receive per child, the private schools receive also so you are only paying the extra bit whereas in UK the private schools receive nothing from the government. I think a lot of people send their kids private as it is more affordable but what seems to happen is that the kids go to the state school when they are younger and then go to private school for their high school years.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 2:53 am
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

The 'cheaper' private schools are approx $4k/child at high school level (including stationery,uniform etc.), generally with discounts for additional family members - e.g. 10% off fees for the second, 20% for subsequent. (Note for calculation purposes, fees are only a portion of the $4k - other non-discountable items included are excursions, incursions, building maintenance etc.). In our short experience to date the differnce in standards between state/private is more noticeable as the kids get older - hence probably the switch between state/private at high school level.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 4:36 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bal56
The 'cheaper' private schools are approx $4k/child at high school level (including stationery,uniform etc.), generally with discounts for additional family members - e.g. 10% off fees for the second, 20% for subsequent. (Note for calculation purposes, fees are only a portion of the $4k - other non-discountable items included are excursions, incursions, building maintenance etc.). In our short experience to date the differnce in standards between state/private is more noticeable as the kids get older - hence probably the switch between state/private at high school level.
Wow, the cheapest private school I have seen in Victoria near me starts at $12k!

But you can get scholorships and I think most people who move from UK mainstream schools will get their children in for a scholorship discount as the academic education is a few years ahead in the UK. THAT IS NOT TO SAY IT IS BETTER THOUGH! It is much more rounded here and there is a focus on wellbeing, confidence, environmental issues etc. rather than jst the 3 R's.

Louise
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Originally Posted by ljj
Wow, the cheapest private school I have seen in Victoria near me starts at $12k!

But you can get scholorships and I think most people who move from UK mainstream schools will get their children in for a scholorship discount as the academic education is a few years ahead in the UK. THAT IS NOT TO SAY IT IS BETTER THOUGH! It is much more rounded here and there is a focus on wellbeing, confidence, environmental issues etc. rather than jst the 3 R's.

Louise
Hi

There are certainly schools alot cheaper than that. Religious based schools tend to be much cheaper as they do not pay the same taxes as non-religious.

Totally depends where you are as well, and what year. The school I was looking at for my little girl was about AUD$5k in primary up to $14k in senior.

That said, again depending on where you are private may be a waste of money there are some excellent government schools. Also if you are bright as you said scholarships or places like Melbourne or University High are available.

Worth investigating all the possibilities

Abby