Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private medicate insurance and Maternity cover

Private medicate insurance and Maternity cover

Old Jul 10th 2009, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

pawpaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Private medicate insurance and Maternity cover

I have search through the threads but can't find the info.

This is my question:
I have Permanent Residency and am planning to start a family. I have search through the insurances availiable and all have a condition for 12 months waiting period before maternity cover kicks in.

I have no issues with Public hosipital care. My only worry is that I may not be able to get a place at the Public Hospital. I am currently not residing in Australia but would like to have my child born in Australia. So I plan to fly into Australia only in my third trimester. Would Public Hospital reject me as I am not with them from the beginning of my pregnancy?

I can visit my private doctor till before labour. I only need my private insurance's maternity cover to kick in for the labour process inself. Can my pregnancy period (approximately 10months) be accounted for the 12 months waiting period?
Old Jul 10th 2009, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Private medicate insurance and Maternity cover

The public hospital wont reject you for not being with them from the beginning.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 5:06 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pawpaw
I have no issues with Public hosipital care. My only worry is that I may not be able to get a place at the Public Hospital.
I can't honestly see that as being an issue.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Guess it just depends on the public hospital and whether they have lots of patients booked in. I guess if there is no room at the inn they will send you to another public hospital. Maternity grant has placed a strain on resources.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I know ladies who have got the private cover then got pregnant 3 months later. This was planned so the birth was covered.
However if it was me Id give myself an extra month just in case you went into early labour.

But you should be fine for the state care, which is supposed to be best for natural birth. Private is often seen as more C Section friendly

Gems.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pawpaw
I have search through the threads but can't find the info.

This is my question:
I have Permanent Residency and am planning to start a family. I have search through the insurances availiable and all have a condition for 12 months waiting period before maternity cover kicks in.

I have no issues with Public hosipital care. My only worry is that I may not be able to get a place at the Public Hospital. I am currently not residing in Australia but would like to have my child born in Australia. So I plan to fly into Australia only in my third trimester. Would Public Hospital reject me as I am not with them from the beginning of my pregnancy?

I can visit my private doctor till before labour. I only need my private insurance's maternity cover to kick in for the labour process inself. Can my pregnancy period (approximately 10months) be accounted for the 12 months waiting period?
The standard term of pregnancy does count towards the waiting period. It doesn't matter if you have the baby early, they still count the full term.

Everyone will get a place at a public hospital....unless maybe if you are going to a regional area....you could maybe pre-book from there when you fall pregnant?

Usually when you go to a private hospital for birth you use a private gynaecologist during the pregnancy and then they (or their backup) do the delivery.

When you go to a public hospital you usually either go to the hospital itself during the pregnancy or go to you local GP with just a few visits to the hospital.

If you do go private and use a gynaecologist then make sure you ask to be a "No Gap" patient. If they agree this means there will not be a gap between the medicare scheduled fee and their fee. They do it for some patients. They will also then try to minimise gaps with other professionals like anaesthetists that they work with.

Private do have a higher rate of c sections - but you can shop around and find one that suits your philosophy on childbirth if you wish. Sites like bubhub are good for discussing that sort of thing: http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/forums/.

Good luck.