Reload this Page >

Private Medical Insurance on 457 Visa

Private Medical Insurance on 457 Visa

Old Feb 27th 2004, 6:33 am
Just Joined

bobinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Private Medical Insurance on 457 Visa

Hi,

Anyone know if a British (entitled to reciprocal medicare) 457 visa holder can buy a standard Medical Insurance policy with entitlement to 30% rebate. At Australian Unity one person said we couldn't (and could only offer us a travel insurance type policy) and another said we could - I'm confused...?

Why do they make it so complex to work out what these policies give you compared to using Medicare.....?

Cheers,
Bob
Old Feb 27th 2004, 6:45 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Private Medical Insurance on 457 Visa

Originally posted by bobinoz
Hi,

Anyone know if a British (entitled to reciprocal medicare) 457 visa holder can buy a standard Medical Insurance policy with entitlement to 30% rebate. At Australian Unity one person said we couldn't (and could only offer us a travel insurance type policy) and another said we could - I'm confused...?

Why do they make it so complex to work out what these policies give you compared to using Medicare.....?

Cheers,
Bob
http://www.hic.gov.au/CA256976001D06...DF_FORMS_CONS/$file/medicare_enrolment_application_form.pdf

http://www.hic.gov.au/yourhealth/ser...ta.htm#ireland

There are tax advantage from going private but it depends on your income as to whether you would be better off.