Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private medical date missed

Private medical date missed

Old Sep 12th 2008, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of
Default Private medical date missed

I landed last September, started work in October, applied for Medicare and have been out of work since June. I have not taken out private medical insurance within the 12 months will I be surcharged?
Old Sep 12th 2008, 8:18 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Private medical date missed

Originally Posted by discobay
I landed last September, started work in October, applied for Medicare and have been out of work since June. I have not taken out private medical insurance within the 12 months will I be surcharged?
Are you asking about private medical insurance premiums? Then it depends on your age. If you're over 30, then yes, if you take out private medical insurance there will be a premium loading (additional charge) for every year you are over 30.

If you are asking about the Medicare surcharge levy, then that depends on your taxable income. In the 2007-08 tax year (ended 30 June 2008) the levy kicked in if your taxable income went over $50,000 (single person) or $100,000 (couple, family). For the 2008-09 tax year (ending 30 June 2009) the thresholds are $100,000 (single person) and $150,000 (couple, family). The levy is 1% of your taxable income.

Gina
Old Sep 12th 2008, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

I think the OP is talking specifically about that 12 month rule for avoiding the
age related proportion increase thingy...this I know nothing about.
But would be interested to know!
HKA
x
Old Sep 12th 2008, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Are you asking about private medical insurance premiums? Then it depends on your age. If you're over 30, then yes, if you take out private medical insurance there will be a premium loading (additional charge) for every year you are over 30.

If you are asking about the Medicare surcharge levy, then that depends on your taxable income. In the 2007-08 tax year (ended 30 June 2008) the levy kicked in if your taxable income went over $50,000 (single person) or $100,000 (couple, family). For the 2008-09 tax year (ending 30 June 2009) the thresholds are $100,000 (single person) and $150,000 (couple, family). The levy is 1% of your taxable income.

Gina
Hi Gina,

I guess I am asking about both. I haven't decided 100% about private medical insurance though we are both over 30 years of age. W.r.t. the MLS would that be charged starting from last year or from this year as I landed 12 months ago? And would the 1% levy be charged every year from now on regardless of whether my personal circumstances changed?
Old Sep 12th 2008, 9:50 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Its 12 months from getting your medicare card, if that helps. 2% for every year over 30 if you don't have private
Old Sep 12th 2008, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by datamile
Its 12 months from getting your medicare card, if that helps. 2% for every year over 30 if you don't have private
There is conflicting information regarding the start date i.e. date of landing vs date of medicare registration. I am going to have to ring them.
Regarding the 2%, if I am 36 years old does that mean the private medical insurance provider will charge me an additional 12% in premiums?
Old Sep 12th 2008, 10:33 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

There is conflicting information regarding the start date i.e. date of landing vs date of medicare registration. I am going to have to ring them.
Regarding the 2%, if I am 36 years old does that mean the private medical insurance provider will charge me an additional 12% in premiums?
http://www.health.gov.au/internet/ma...rs-general.htm

If you are a new migrant to Australia, and are aged 31 or over, you will not have to pay a LHC loading if you purchase hospital cover within 12 months of being registered for Medicare.

If you delay purchasing hospital cover for more than 12 months after your registration, you will have to pay 2% more for each year you are aged over 30 when you purchase your hospital cover.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by datamile
http://www.health.gov.au/internet/ma...rs-general.htm

If you are a new migrant to Australia, and are aged 31 or over, you will not have to pay a LHC loading if you purchase hospital cover within 12 months of being registered for Medicare.

If you delay purchasing hospital cover for more than 12 months after your registration, you will have to pay 2% more for each year you are aged over 30 when you purchase your hospital cover.
That is a very useful link - thank you. I may still have time to buy Lifetime Health Cover (literally days).
Would you be able to help me understand the Medicare Levy Surcharge? Does it also commence 12-months from the date I registered for Medicare or from landing and would it be charged on last year's income or this year's?
Old Sep 12th 2008, 11:00 am
DownUnder

That is a very useful link - thank you. I may still have time to buy Lifetime Health Cover (literally days).
Would you be able to help me understand the Medicare Levy Surcharge? Does it also commence 12-months from the date I registered for Medicare or from landing and would it be charged on last year's income or this year's?
Ok, the other gov useful link with insurer search, and faq

http://www.privatehealth.gov.au/

You could take out cheap public hospital for $70 a month for two, and then that gets you out of the LHC, and then gives you more time to pick the fund you want.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Will give it a read.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 7:28 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

The Medicare Levy Surcharge has nothing to do with the date you arrived in Australia. It is linked to your taxable income in each tax year. Each year when you do your tax return, the ATO computer checks whether you need to pay the 1% or not.

If you have private hospital cover, then the Medicare surcharge levy does not apply. If you don't have private hospital cover, then the Medicare surcharge levy applies if your taxable income exceeds the thresholds..

As I already said in my post above: In the 2007-08 tax year (ended 30 June 2008) the levy kicked in if your taxable income went over $50,000 (single person) or $100,000 (couple, family). For the 2008-09 tax year (ending 30 June 2009) the thresholds are $100,000 (single person) and $150,000 (couple, family). The levy is 1% of your taxable income.

Gina
(sometimes I think I just talk to myself)
Old Sep 13th 2008, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

You maybe talking to your self but you aint readin' either!
The OP did not mention 'Medicare Surcharge Levy' in the original post....
It is quite clear you are providing some really good information but have failed to grasp the OPs original question was about that area which deals with 'how long have you got before premiums go up cos you old?'
Having said that...thank you for your info Gina as I am now in a more clear position.
Oh, and yes I was listening!
HKA
x
Old Sep 13th 2008, 7:42 am
Banned

Originally Posted by hollykimalan
You maybe talking to your self but you aint readin' either!
The OP did not mention 'Medicare Surcharge Levy' in the original post....
The OP referred only to "surcharge" which could apply to both. Hence - if you can be bothered to re-read my reply - I chose to answer both.
It is quite clear you are providing some really good information but have failed to grasp the OPs original question was about that area which deals with 'how long have you got before premiums go up cos you old?'
You're a right cow, aren't you! Again, if you can be bothered to re-read my post, I did explain he'd be surcharged on private medical insurance once he got to 30 years of age.

And if you can be bothered to re-read the OP's post no 8, he asks specifically about Medicare levy surcharge, which I have now answered (again).

Although you don't seem to have read either the OP's posts or my posts properly before, I am glad to have been of help to you, HKA.

Gina

Last edited by GinaUK; Sep 13th 2008 at 7:47 am.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Gina,
Leaving the surcharge to one side just now...
Say my Dad wants to come to Australia, Permanent visa. He will be 62 years old.
Would he NOT be stung by increased premiums 'cos of his age if he take out
health insurance before he has been in Australia for 12 months?
Just wondering...he keeps asking about stuff like this.
HKA
x
Old Sep 13th 2008, 7:55 am
Banned

Say my Dad wants to come to Australia, Permanent visa. He will be 62 years old.
Would he NOT be stung by increased premiums 'cos of his age if he take out health insurance before he has been in Australia for 12 months?
He would not be stung by the 2% "penalty" for every year he is over 30.

But all private health insurance companies exclude pre-exisitng conditions when you take out a policy. I imagine at age 62 he may have a few conditions. So, any treatment he would need for those could not be covered under private health insurance.

A private health insurance company could also refuse outright to insure him. Or they could insist that he takes a medical before they insure him.

You know what insurance companies are like ...

But if your Dad got a PR visa, he'd be covered by Medicare.

Gina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.