Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private Health insurance for child only

Private Health insurance for child only

Old Feb 18th 2011, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Private Health insurance for child only

Hi everyone,

Ive just organised private health insurance but just for my 6 year old. Recently diagnosed at Christmas with Type 1 Diabetes and as of this week now Coeliacs disease.

Anyway thought Id mention that you can insure a child under 18 on their own policy to save money.
I did it by contacting them direct.

It only costing me $27 per fortnight for hospital, extras and gapsaver.
Only reason I want it is I have been told by the kids hospital
(HBF confirmed) they will let us have a insulin pump that costs around $8000 on the cover.
They also replace with a new one every 3-4yrs when warranty for insulin pump ends.

It will have a 12month wait for the insulin pump and any hospital treatment for the existing medical conditions.
But its thousands cheaper than paying for a pump myself.

Im using HBF but Medibank will also cover children on their own policy.
Good to know if you have a child with serious medical condition and dont want to pay for a whole family.

Ive had excellent care on medicare and cant fault it. But this time private health insurance is a must.

Who said health insurance was a waste of money

Gems

Last edited by Gems; Feb 18th 2011 at 2:12 am.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Private Health insurance for child only

When my son was going through rehab last year, I met mums whose kids had chronic conditions and was surprised to find that some of these families had cover with both Medibank and HBF. They used one for hospital cover and the other for everything else, as you get better rebates and cover for some items by cherry-picking the best value out of each policy.

That's rough about the CD, Gems - as if you didn't have enough on your plate with DM. Hope you're getting all the support you need.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Helen,

Good to know you can actually have both covers. Will look into that.

Gems
Old Feb 18th 2011, 6:42 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gems
Hi everyone,

Ive just organised private health insurance but just for my 6 year old. Recently diagnosed at Christmas with Type 1 Diabetes and as of this week now Coeliacs disease.

Anyway thought Id mention that you can insure a child under 18 on their own policy to save money.
I did it by contacting them direct.

It only costing me $27 per fortnight for hospital, extras and gapsaver.
Only reason I want it is I have been told by the kids hospital
(HBF confirmed) they will let us have a insulin pump that costs around $8000 on the cover.
They also replace with a new one every 3-4yrs when warranty for insulin pump ends.

It will have a 12month wait for the insulin pump and any hospital treatment for the existing medical conditions.
But its thousands cheaper than paying for a pump myself.

Im using HBF but Medibank will also cover children on their own policy.
Good to know if you have a child with serious medical condition and dont want to pay for a whole family.

Ive had excellent care on medicare and cant fault it. But this time private health insurance is a must.

Who said health insurance was a waste of money

Gems
I've never had a problem with HBF and we have probably claimed more than we have paid in.

Having private cover is no-brainer for me - plus there are tax benefits too.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

My OH gets HBF as part of his salary package and we used it heavily last year and all 4 of us have had physio this year (and it's only Feb). My eldest needed new orthotics 3 weeks ago (how much more can his feet grow) - it was irritating to find that HBF didn't cover the cost of the orthotics ($95), but Medibank would have. You've got to carefully go over each policy and see what suits you best, but we don't always know which health service we're going to need.