Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private health cover - have I got this right?

Private health cover - have I got this right?

Old Jul 30th 2003, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Doctors in Australia

Originally posted by NinaU
Hi Kiwipaul,
Does that mean I can go private and medicare would pay for some part of the treatment, if so what percentage?. How much could you claim?
Thanks!

Regards
Nina
The medicare rebate is fixed price depending on the operation. I think I got $3,000 for my operation, so the total cost of my semi private opertation was $7,000 if I'd have gone private the rebate would have been the same, so total cost would have been $13,000.

Quality of treatment was superb, and I've no complaints.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Kiwipaul:

In the UK you wouldn't have had the 'semi-private' option and there's no rebate if you go private. Unless you had private medical insurance or were seriously rich you would have been stuck on the NHS waiting lists.

Glad to hear your operation was a success. Did you get any idea how long the 'indefinite' waiting list would have been? Waiting lists seem so much worse if you're outside Sydney or Melbourne these days.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Jolyn
Did you get any idea how long the 'indefinite' waiting list would have been? Waiting lists seem so much worse if you're outside Sydney or Melbourne these days.
Sorry no idea of the waiting list, I just wanted a resoloution ASAP.
Also the rebate wasn't just one rebate I got bills from everyone and their dogs (surgeon, annestistist, lab, etc) and for each one I had to claim the medicare rebate and then pay the difference. It mist be an admin nightmare. Why the hell they cannot just pay the medical proffessional and I just pay the gap I've no idea, but I had to claim the rebate and then forward the check to the correct person (surgeon etc) with my gap payment.

Cannot comment about how it compares to NHS as my experince is 20 years out of date, but in those days I had no complaints about their service.