Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private Health Cover (again, sorry!)

Private Health Cover (again, sorry!)

Old May 11th 2006, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Private Health Cover (again, sorry!)

Originally Posted by Grayling
I believe that you would become eligible for medicare if you make an application for PR.....if that is what you want or plan to do.

G
Yep, we would be entitled to it once our PR came through. We'd also be entitled to things like child benefit (well, the Oz equiv). But we'd lose the LAFHA allowance as soon as we think about PR so we'd have to make sure we had a few pennies tucked aside for however-long-it-takes to get PR.

It's something we may well consider if we intend to stay here long-term (the thought of which terrifies me still, but that's a whole other thread lol)
Old May 11th 2006, 8:00 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TillyG
Yep, we would be entitled to it once our PR came through. We'd also be entitled to things like child benefit (well, the Oz equiv). But we'd lose the LAFHA allowance as soon as we think about PR so we'd have to make sure we had a few pennies tucked aside for however-long-it-takes to get PR.

It's something we may well consider if we intend to stay here long-term (the thought of which terrifies me still, but that's a whole other thread lol)
You would be entitled to it when you apply NOT have to wait until you get PR.

Don't know about the LAFHA allowance.

Have you read this?:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357804

G
Old May 11th 2006, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Grayling
You would be entitled to it when you apply NOT have to wait until you get PR.

Don't know about the LAFHA allowance.

Have you read this?:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357804

G
Ahhh, I really didn't realise that you're entitled when you start the PR process - that's handy to know, thank you. I haven't really looked into it as at the moment I'm just running to stand still lol

As for the link you posted - yup, I've read it and printed a copy out ... really wish I had seen it before we came here. I didn't appreciate how restrictive the 457 was to be honest. To be fair, though, DH only got offered the job start of Dec and we were here by mid-Feb so I really didn't have time to research everything (I did do tons of research in those few months though, as well as trying to get the house fit for sale lol)

Thanks for the link though G - I didn't know it was there until someone mentioned it the other day/week and it makes for pretty scary reading.
Old May 15th 2006, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Fardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the rough

Sorry, this again. Finally found a site that sees to summarise what happens reasonably clearly: http:\\www.exfin.com\health-insurance-457.php. My general view is that if I was single and in good health then the reciprocal care under Medicare would be OK (it includes GP cost and prescriptions), but if I had a family I would think about private health care pretty carefully. That said, if something is (really) wrong with children they normally go to the local Children's Hospital, which is public.

The real moral of the story though is that it is the employers who should be providing health insurance and it should be part of the "package". They don't really protect themselves in terms of liability to the Government by making it a condition of the employment contract.
Old May 15th 2006, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fardell
Sorry, this again. Finally found a site that sees to summarise what happens reasonably clearly: http:\\www.exfin.com\health-insurance-457.php. My general view is that if I was single and in good health then the reciprocal care under Medicare would be OK (it includes GP cost and prescriptions), but if I had a family I would think about private health care pretty carefully. That said, if something is (really) wrong with children they normally go to the local Children's Hospital, which is public.

The real moral of the story though is that it is the employers who should be providing health insurance and it should be part of the "package". They don't really protect themselves in terms of liability to the Government by making it a condition of the employment contract.
Well, I'm sending off the application forms today. As I understood it, I would only be able to claim back part of the GP consult fees if it was "immediately necessary" and it can be a grey area.

We've decided to go for it as I'm a born worrier and would rather have the cover than not. It's galling having to pay out $416 per month though for something that was, essentially, free in the UK - ultimately, we're going to be no better off financially here afterall which is a really p*sser frankly.

But it's not going to be forever
Old May 16th 2006, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by aaron8123
Tilly
Hi Tilly,

We are also on a 457 Visa and have private medical insurance through the company with HBA. We are paying $300 for 2 Adults and 1 child. We have the overseas visitor cover but not the extras option (should have in hindsight as recent visit to the dentist cost $300)

I thought we did not have a choice and that part of the visa conditions is that the nominee has to have private health cover. Were you told this?

Also, what happens when you go to the GP for say the flu - would this be covered under the reciprocal agreement, I must admit I thought medically necessary was something severe like breaking a leg or something![/QUOTE]

When I was over in Oz on a working holiday I went to the doctors for an ear infection which was certainly not life threatening but given that I was over there for another 6 months I had to get it sorted out there rather than wait till I got home. I went to a bulk billing place so had to pay no doctors fees (didnt even have to make an appointment, just turned up) and all I had to pay was for the presecription of antibiotics which was about $20
Old Jun 13th 2006, 11:39 am
Just Joined

pfal is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we are on 457 and have used medicare, all of us 2 adults 2 small kids. There has never been a problem and it ws never a real emergency. the only difference between here and the NhS is that you have to pay 50 to see the doctor and then only get 35 i think back from the medicare office. the kids are completely free. so far so good. nobody has ever asked us about emergency. they just treat us.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pfal
Hi we are on 457 and have used medicare, all of us 2 adults 2 small kids. There has never been a problem and it ws never a real emergency. the only difference between here and the NhS is that you have to pay 50 to see the doctor and then only get 35 i think back from the medicare office. the kids are completely free. so far so good. nobody has ever asked us about emergency. they just treat us.
Wow, that's good

I guess I'm just overly cautious. I *do* begrudge paying the $416 per month but it gives me peace of mind ... esp if we end up having another baby - I had a look at the Medicare schedule and it's very expensive to have a baby if you have to pay for all the procedures/scans/examinations - which we *would* have to pay as pregnancy isnt' an "emergency"
Old Jun 13th 2006, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TillyG
Wow, that's good

I guess I'm just overly cautious. I *do* begrudge paying the $416 per month but it gives me peace of mind ... esp if we end up having another baby - I had a look at the Medicare schedule and it's very expensive to have a baby if you have to pay for all the procedures/scans/examinations - which we *would* have to pay as pregnancy isnt' an "emergency"

Well i d better be careful then. 2 small ones is enough at the moment. cant get my head around having another. however, how long do you need to be on private health to be covered???
for the 400 dollars, are all your bills, dental etc covered immediately or is there a waiting period, we are still debating and have been advised to get it re tax
Old Jun 13th 2006, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pfal
Well i d better be careful then. 2 small ones is enough at the moment. cant get my head around having another. however, how long do you need to be on private health to be covered???
for the 400 dollars, are all your bills, dental etc covered immediately or is there a waiting period, we are still debating and have been advised to get it re tax
There's a 12mth wait on obstetrics. That means that you *could* get pg 3mths into the policy and it would cover the birth - but it wouldn't cover the cost of antenatal care etc. The policy was a bit less with the obstetrics but I felt it was worth it, just in case

There isn't a waiting period at all (apart from pre-existing conditions and obstetrics) but I haven't had to use it yet. Being on a 457 means we have to pay about double what an Aussie or PR-person would pay. But the LAFHA should, in theory, cover it (they screwed it up a bit but we should get a nice refund from MrTaxMan sometime after end-June - I need to get an accountant first though!).

We ummed & ahhed for a while about getting cover but decided to bite the bullet and go for it, just in case.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=TillyG]There's a 12mth wait on obstetrics. That means that you *could* get pg 3mths into the policy and it would cover the birth - but it wouldn't cover the cost of antenatal care etc. The policy was a bit less with the obstetrics but I felt it was worth it, just in case

There isn't a waiting period at all (apart from pre-existing conditions and obstetrics) but I haven't had to use it yet. Being on a 457 means we have to pay about double what an Aussie or PR-person would pay. But the LAFHA should, in theory, cover it (they screwed it up a bit but we should get a nice refund from MrTaxMan sometime after end-June - I need to get an accountant first though!).

We ummed & ahhed for a while about getting cover but decided to bite the bullet and go for it, just in case.[/QU

Have got the accountant but still not sure what to do about private health. should probably get it with having the kids... If you need the address of accountant pm me
Old Jun 13th 2006, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

The sponsor/employer has to meet the health and medical costs for sponsored/nominated visa holders while the primary visa holder works for them, or has to ensure that all sponsored/nominated visa holders have acceptable medical insurance arrangements.
So I don't see where there is a choice It is a condition that you have medical insurance on this visa.

For further details on the sponsor's undertakings go to http://www.immi.gov.au/ and select "Sponsoring Someone to Australia as a Business Person".'

Leigh

Last edited by leigh&ivan; Jun 13th 2006 at 4:23 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leigh&ivan
The sponsor/employer has to meet the health and medical costs for sponsored/nominated visa holders while the primary visa holder works for them, or has to ensure that all sponsored/nominated visa holders have acceptable medical insurance arrangements.
So I don't see where there is a choice It is a condition that you have medical insurance on this visa.

For further details on the sponsor's undertakings go to http://www.immi.gov.au/ and select "Sponsoring Someone to Australia as a Business Person".'

Leigh

I can't find anything that says that on there If anyone can find a link please let me know as I'll fwd it to DH at work and get his payroll onto it.

Does it matter whether they sponsored him as a "Business Person" or a "skilled person"? Or is it just that on a 457 visa, the employer always pays health insurance?

Sorry for all the questions, I had a look around that link Leigh posted but couldn't see anything that confirmed it.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 10:59 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leigh&ivan

Leigh
I am not sure you are reading this correctly

457 Visa
The employer has obligations to - pay all medical or hospital expenses for an employee (and accompanying family member) for treatment in a public hospital (other than expenses that are met by health insurance or reciprocal health care arrangements)
this undertaking continues until all expenses are paid

So it is not a condition of the visa to have medical insurance - the fact is many companies either offer it as part of the package or make it a condition of your contract to ensure you take it out personally.

I came over on a 457 and the company luckily provided full health insurance cover, then I moved to PR and now working with a company that does not provide health insurance so I do pay for it myself. In our case insurance has been a godsend with childrens teeth, our teeth, a quick day operation with a female issue for me and mostly peace of mind in my case if I did need it seriously it would be there. I know everyone has difference choices and levels of income so it is a personal decision. I save money towards the cost by not having to pay the increased medicare levy but that will not be the same for all.

Cheers
Old Jun 14th 2006, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

Abject_Rage will become famous soon enoughAbject_Rage will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Fardell
This debate has me scratching my head a bit. I thought almost everyone got private medical cover when on a 457 because i) anyone sponsoring you had to sign an open ended guarantee to the Federal Government to cover medical costs incurred - which makes sponsors nervous(!) and ii) you are only covered by Medicare for emergency treatment under the reciprocal agreement. I suppose you could take the risk, but I wouldn't like it if I were the sponsor - and this is probably why it's often a contractual requirement.

I know this is the British Expats forum and all but, just to respond to this one, the company sponsoring me had no obligation (they say!) to provide private health cover and, in fact, are refusing to do so for my wife, because she's a Korean national.

Also, Medicare won't put my wife on my Medicare card for the same reason - no reciprocal arrangement with Korea, so we're well and truly in a Catch 22 situation.

Medicare won't cover my wife, and private health insurance companies won't insure her either, cos she isn't covered by Medicare.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.