Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private Health Care

Private Health Care

Old Sep 29th 2006, 4:55 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice
Default Private Health Care

I know this subject is huge because different people will have different health priorities but I wondered if anyone has had any problems with any aussie private health care companies, or for that matter any good stories? I am in the process of looking for private health care and have kind of narrowed it down to about 3 or 4 but was hoping someone may help me choose properly!

So, has anyone had problems when claiming, or anything like that?
Old Sep 29th 2006, 9:34 am
Emigrated 2006

kerry in sunny oz is just really nicekerry in sunny oz is just really nicekerry in sunny oz is just really nicekerry in sunny oz is just really nicekerry in sunny oz is just really nicekerry in sunny oz is just really nicekerry in sunny oz is just really nicekerry in sunny oz is just really nice
Default Re: Private Health Care

After researching loads and loads of private policies............................and being a nurse i , in the end didn't bother! For me and my family i came to the conclusion that if and when your poorly and need that bed, private or not, if that bed isn't available (due to no staff or theatre shortage)even money wont magic one up. Personally we ensured we had $5.000 in a high interest account for medial issues only. Some policies charged $250 for our family and that was very limited cover with NO garantee of a bed anywhere. Just a thought for you to look at .

kerry
Old Sep 29th 2006, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by kerry in sunny oz
After researching loads and loads of private policies............................and being a nurse i , in the end didn't bother! For me and my family i came to the conclusion that if and when your poorly and need that bed, private or not, if that bed isn't available (due to no staff or theatre shortage)even money wont magic one up. Personally we ensured we had $5.000 in a high interest account for medial issues only. Some policies charged $250 for our family and that was very limited cover with NO garantee of a bed anywhere. Just a thought for you to look at .

kerry

Cheers for that. I'm a nurse too, and it wasn't so much the bed problem I was worried about, more the fact that medicare levy takes 1% off both mine and hubby's wages, so to be honest we might as well get private health care and then at least we will get free glasses/contacts per year and basic dental. I was stung by the medicare levy this year and won't have that again....

Also, being a theatre nurse if me or hubby need something done I want a consultant and not a reg...private will give that to me at least...

tc
Old Sep 29th 2006, 2:31 pm
SharonC

sharon_gareth is an unknown quantity at this point

We use HIF and have been happy with them. We took advantange of the hosppital cover because of the medicare levi. That said it is the dental cover that we have that has been the biggest moneysaver. Although there has been talk recently of introducing dental cover to medicare for kids and the pensioners at present there is none.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
Cheers for that. I'm a nurse too, and it wasn't so much the bed problem I was worried about, more the fact that medicare levy takes 1% off both mine and hubby's wages, so to be honest we might as well get private health care and then at least we will get free glasses/contacts per year and basic dental. I was stung by the medicare levy this year and won't have that again....

Also, being a theatre nurse if me or hubby need something done I want a consultant and not a reg...private will give that to me at least...

tc
the medicare levy is 1.5% and everybody pays that, the medicare surcharge is 1% and paid by people who earn over $50k pa.
we went with HCF to avoid the levy, but that is basic cover and does not include any extras eg optical, dental etc although these benefits were available.
Choice magazine has a useful report comparing health funds here
Old Sep 29th 2006, 9:53 pm
Here at last

Crazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of light

We are with BUPA in the UK and have arranged to transfer cover to BUPA International when we arrive in a few weeks. Once we have been in Aus for about 6 months we can transfer again to BUPA Australia without losing any continuance of cover.

Its suited us as we have got existing medical issues and by staying with BUPA we will still be covered.

Not sure if any of this helps, but just in case ........

Old Sep 30th 2006, 10:22 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

We are with HBA who are BUPA. You have to earn more than $101,000 as a joint income to be liable for the further 1.5% for medicare if you don't take out private health cover. You have up to your first year of being here to take out private and get the discount of being under 31, which new immigrants are entitled to. With HBA children get free dental cover which we like. It's a minefield and look into it very carefully.

Lorraine
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:04 am
SharonC

Originally Posted by Lindsay Clan
We are with HBA who are BUPA. You have to earn more than $101,000 as a joint income to be liable for the further 1.5% for medicare if you don't take out private health cover. You have up to your first year of being here to take out private and get the discount of being under 31, which new immigrants are entitled to. With HBA children get free dental cover which we like. It's a minefield and look into it very carefully.

Lorraine

Is the discount of being under 31 a state thing only?? We are in WA and took out health cover as soon as we arrived and were told we had to pay an additional 2% on the premium for each year over 30. We had private health cover in the UK (not with BUPA) but this made no difference.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharon_gareth
Is the discount of being under 31 a state thing only?? We are in WA and took out health cover as soon as we arrived and were told we had to pay an additional 2% on the premium for each year over 30. We had private health cover in the UK (not with BUPA) but this made no difference.

No it's not. New migrants have 12 months (I think it's 12) to get private cover before they are required to pay the extra. This goes by the date you first entered OZ, so if you validated then returned to the UK for a year you will have to pay the 2%.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:16 am
SharonC

Originally Posted by Wendy
No it's not. New migrants have 12 months (I think it's 12) to get private cover before they are required to pay the extra. This goes by the date you first entered OZ, so if you validated then returned to the UK for a year you will have to pay the 2%.

Interesting, must do some research here in WA. We came straight over here and even asked the question of the sales rep who sold us the insurance. 'not happy Jan'
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting, must do some research here in WA. We came straight over here and even asked the question of the sales rep who sold us the insurance. 'not happy Jan'

You should ring them and tell them you want a rebate. I'll try and find the relevant link for you later so you are armed.

We are just off out in a few minutes or I'd have a look now
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:42 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lindsay Clan
You have to earn more than $101,000 as a joint income to be liable for the further 1.5% for medicare if you don't take out private health cover.
It's actually 1%.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Private Health Care

We have Health Insurance with Manchester Unity and I am not happy with it. We pay $220 per month for family top hospital cover with extras. We get reasonable dental cover, about 75% of the total cost from it. I got contact lenses which cost $250 and it paid $150, same with glasses. I have never claimed anything else from it!

I had some minor gynae probs so was referred by GP to consultant. I need to have an operation. I phoned health insurers to see if I was covered. Yes the op and accommodation in private hospital is covered but I will have to pay $400 excess, then they advised they only cover the doctor and anaesthetist's schedule fee, so I phoned the consultants and was told I would be a further $200 out of pocket for him and also for the anaesthetist. So $800 out of pocket!!!!! WTF

I think this is some sort of joke, I pay $220 per month for private insurance and am going to be $800 out of pocket!!!! I have now decided to go on public waiting list as dont need op done urgently. I am cancelling my health insurance this week.

If I had put that $220 into a savings account every month, I could afford to have the op done privately now, pay up front and have money left over!

I too am a nurse, and I like the idea of having a consultant do my op, but no way I am willing to pay out that much money on top of what I already pay in premium costs every month.

I would advise anyone taking out private insurance to be careful. The insurance will mainly only cover the schedule fee for doctors and anaesthetists and most will charge over this, although to read the small print from the health insurers, they say they have agreement with doctors who will only charge the schedule fee, but having phoned around a number of doctors I have not found any!!!! The insurance company would not give me a list of participating doctors either!!!

Even paying the extra medicare levy, its still not as much as you would pay in insurance premiums.

Mel
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 5:59 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

All new immigrants should get the discount for the under 31 age as long as private health cover is taken within a year of arriving in the country. As said before we are with HBA and they supply you with a booklet of all dentists, doctors etc that are within their scheme. I'd check with your insurance provider again and get some of your money back.

Lorraine
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Here is the link I promised earlier

Lifetime Health Cover

Migrants who became eligible for Medicare after 30 September 1999 but before 23 April 2004 do not pay a Lifetime Health Cover loading if they purchase hospital cover by the later of:

the 1 July following their 31st birthday, or
23 April 2005.

Migrants who become eligible for Medicare on or after 23 April 2004 do not pay a Lifetime Health Cover loading if they purchase hospital cover by the later of:

the 1 July following their 31st birthday, or
the first anniversary of the date they became eligible for Medicare.

If you were born on or before 1 July 1934, you are not affected by Lifetime Health Cover. This means that you can purchase hospital insurance at any time and you will always pay the base rate premium.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.