Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Primary Teaching Opportunities? and First Post

Primary Teaching Opportunities? and First Post

Old Jul 20th 2006, 10:58 am
Just Joined

dylanb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Primary Teaching Opportunities? and First Post

My wife and I are currently going through the process of emigrating to Australia. Since finding these forums, which are a great resource, we have started having second thoughts - mainly just a bit freaked after reading how difficult it can be to get a job.

My wife is a reception class teacher in the UK - she loves her job and really wants to carry on in Australia. As such does anyone know what opportunities there are for pre-primary teachers?

Is there much hope that she will find a permanent job fairly quickly or will she have to be supply or temp for quite a while?

We are looking at moving to Adelaide (probably around McLaren Vale), but would also consider areas around Sydney and Melbourne if the opportunities are scarce in S. Australia.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Primary Teaching Opportunities? and First Post

Originally Posted by dylanb
My wife and I are currently going through the process of emigrating to Australia. Since finding these forums, which are a great resource, we have started having second thoughts - mainly just a bit freaked after reading how difficult it can be to get a job.

My wife is a reception class teacher in the UK - she loves her job and really wants to carry on in Australia. As such does anyone know what opportunities there are for pre-primary teachers?

Is there much hope that she will find a permanent job fairly quickly or will she have to be supply or temp for quite a while?

We are looking at moving to Adelaide (probably around McLaren Vale), but would also consider areas around Sydney and Melbourne if the opportunities are scarce in S. Australia.
Hi

And welcome!! The first thing you need to do is discover whether your wifes qualifications are valid in Australia. Over here teachers are 4 year trained. If your wife did a degree and then a PGCE then she is fine, if she just did a 3 year Bachelor of Education then that may be a problem.

Finding a job is not too hard, depending on the area you are in. However, casual work may be the way to start so she can find her feet with the system etc.

Good luck

Rudi
Old Jul 20th 2006, 11:38 pm
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dylanb

use these links guys to get the basic info then contact the techer reg board and they'll advise you further - good luck

http://www.myfuture.edu.au/services/...0&ASCO=241111A

http://www.myfuture.edu.au/services/...A&ASCO=241111A

http://www.trb.sa.edu.au/
Old Jul 21st 2006, 11:29 am
Just Joined

dylanb is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the information. Going to be doing a bit more research, but if anyone else has any gems of info, please let me know.

Ta.