Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

primary teaching and midwifery

primary teaching and midwifery

Old Mar 28th 2007, 8:53 am
Just Joined

jna06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question primary teaching and midwifery

hi this is my first time on this site and just wondered if anyone could help me.
some of my partners family live in brisbane and my auntie, husband and son are moving on mon i am currently at uni and at the end would ideally like to be a teacher or midwife with both jobs being sparse on the ground here and with me being really close to my auntie who is more like a sister than an auntie what are the job prospects for these careers in australia? any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old Mar 28th 2007, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: primary teaching and midwifery

Originally Posted by jna06
hi this is my first time on this site and just wondered if anyone could help me.
some of my partners family live in brisbane and my auntie, husband and son are moving on mon i am currently at uni and at the end would ideally like to be a teacher or midwife with both jobs being sparse on the ground here and with me being really close to my auntie who is more like a sister than an auntie what are the job prospects for these careers in australia? any advice would be greatly appreciated
Be aware that to teach in Oz you will need to have studied for either a 4 yr BEd or a 3 yr degree plus PGCE: what Uni course are you on?

Bezza
Old Mar 28th 2007, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Red face Re: primary teaching and midwifery

hi im doing a 3 year degree in early years then im going to go on to either pgce or my midwife degree but both jobs are rare here and as i was interested in maybe moving to oz after all my training wanted to make sure i took the right path that would be best for me when i got there
Old Mar 28th 2007, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

hi im doing a 3 year degree in early years then im going to go on to either pgce or my midwife degree but both jobs are rare here and as i was interested in maybe moving to oz after all my training wanted to make sure i took the right path that would be best for me when i got there
A sesnible option.

Without knowing your precise details a generalisation would be:

Midwifery - get in a.s.a.p. via temp visa or through skilled - for teaching you a temp visa would be a rarity.

Bezza
Old Mar 28th 2007, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: primary teaching and midwifery

so are midwifes more required in oz then they are here i have always wanted to do one of these careers and dont want to go for second best just because they dont have the positions available here
Old Mar 28th 2007, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: primary teaching and midwifery

oh and also i dont know what difference it would make i am 24 with a family i dont know what age and children make a difference
Old Mar 28th 2007, 4:05 pm
Loving the lifestyle !

paula&lee has a brilliant futurepaula&lee has a brilliant futurepaula&lee has a brilliant futurepaula&lee has a brilliant futurepaula&lee has a brilliant futurepaula&lee has a brilliant futurepaula&lee has a brilliant future

oh and also i dont know what difference it would make i am 24 with a family i dont know what age and children make a difference
i'm looking at going into Midwifery once i arrive in Oz but i am going to do all training there, any advice from anyone would be great

I am hopefully heading to Adelaide

I too have a family 3 children
Old Mar 28th 2007, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

I would stick with midwifery!

I have trawled this site for info and imigration website. Its a lot easier getting a sponsorship, a permanent visa and job with midwifery.

Things could change though in the next couple of years. But my hubby is a teacher and I say midwifery would be your best bet.

Also think the money may be better.

Good Luck
Praha
Old Mar 28th 2007, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

scousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nice

I am a midwife and 'walked' into a good job in Brisbane! Sooo Easy! Don't know anything about teaching really, although my sil is a teacher on the gold coast, but she has been oz for about 15 years.
I would go with your gut feeling. If your future is deffo in oz, probally midwifery is the way to go. However, don't even think about it if you are going to stay in the Uk!
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

Lindi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Glad to hear you walked straight into a job! I am moving over in March and will be newly qualified as a midwife at degree level. Do you think I will have any problems gaining employment? My husband has got a visa for his work.

L x
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Far easier to find work and get into Aus if you train as a midwife at present rather than a Primary Teacher, Secondary (certain subjects) are in high demand, but you'd have to research this further....
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

amygroom is an unknown quantity at this point

Both jobs are surely entirely different so do whichever you prefer. You should try both out. Apparently it's extremely difficult to get a primary teaching job in Oz but easy to get a midwifery one if that sways you?
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

FlumpBrain is just really niceFlumpBrain is just really niceFlumpBrain is just really niceFlumpBrain is just really niceFlumpBrain is just really niceFlumpBrain is just really niceFlumpBrain is just really niceFlumpBrain is just really nice

I would also advise you only go with midwifery if you are definitly going to make the move to Oz. I have been a midwife in the UK for 12 year and after struggling to get promotion here i have managed to get an excellent job offer in Brisbane. Midwifery jobs in the UK are rare, promotion even rarer. In Oz many of the healthcare services are expanding and midwife jobs are currently in high demand, i read one hospital had 43 vacancies just for midwives alone !
The pay scale is lower than here but obviously the lifestyle would compensate for that. I think the main thing to bear in mind though is getting on and through either a 3 year diploma or a 4 year degree course first. I wish you the very best of luck !
Old Oct 4th 2007, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

Gothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by paula&lee
i'm looking at going into Midwifery once i arrive in Oz but i am going to do all training there, any advice from anyone would be great

I am hopefully heading to Adelaide

I too have a family 3 children
hi

Don't know about Adelaide, but Sydney Uni, has apprx 5000 applicants for 250 midwifery places.
Good Luck!
Old Oct 4th 2007, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Another thing to think about is that birth rates are dropping both here and in oz.

There will be a teaching crisis within the next 4 years in primary education.. I work in education and our secondary schools are planning now, primary already have action plans in place.

Just something for you to think about

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.