Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Primary Teaching in Aus

Primary Teaching in Aus

Old Oct 17th 2003, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Primary Teaching in Aus

Hi Guys
I've got a few questions about teaching in Aus (Perth in particular, but any info welcomed).
Firstly, I've got NOOSR recognition, but can I get any further in applying for licenses etc. this side of the planet, so that I am able to work ASAP?
What is the availiability of work like?
Any comments about work culture in Aus schools, curriculum, parental attitudes etc., plus what is the work load like/ hours you work?
Thankyou!
Larissa
Old Oct 17th 2003, 11:40 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Larissa,

I don't know about the licence needs but they do advertise positons in the paper (The West) I don't know if vacancies will increase as they begin to break for summer.

Last Saturdays paper was advertising for Upper Primary Teacher at an Anglican Community School in Hillarys http://stmarks.wa.edu.au another at a catholic school again in Hillarys no webaddress. You can look at vacancies at www.thewest.com.au sometimes its hard to know where the areas are.

Best of Luck
Old Oct 17th 2003, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

leejo is on a distinguished road

How much does a primary school teacher earn?

Regards

Lee
Old Oct 17th 2003, 11:58 am
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by leejo
How much does a primary school teacher earn?

Regards

Lee

Hi Lee,

No salaries listed in paper, I guess they have some kind of grade system, maybe Larissa knows more.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Jirrupin
Hi Lee,

No salaries listed in paper, I guess they have some kind of grade system, maybe Larissa knows more.
Hoping to head to Adelaide myself next year as a primary school teacher. My work concern is that I know they have a payscale but do I have to start at the bottom again or does my experience in the UK count. For those of you in teaching I passed threshold assessment last year so really dont want to go back to square one! Also, does anyone know about the availability of supply teaching in Australia?

Thanks
Old Oct 17th 2003, 5:02 pm
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by sunny_samantha
Hoping to head to Adelaide myself next year as a primary school teacher. My work concern is that I know they have a payscale but do I have to start at the bottom again or does my experience in the UK count. For those of you in teaching I passed threshold assessment last year so really dont want to go back to square one! Also, does anyone know about the availability of supply teaching in Australia?

Thanks
I don't know if these sites will be of any use http://www.tracer.qld.edu.au/supplyteachernetwork.asp
www.learningplace.com.au/en/supplyteachers/
www.quality-australia.com.au/agency.html
Old Oct 17th 2003, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Tazzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sunny_samantha

Thanks
Sorry, don't know but I've a friend in Adelaide doing some research for me on that one.
Hey, if we can't get on to Adelaide's supply books we could always start our own agency!! "Pom's Primary Supply", has a ring to it don't you think.
Tazzy
Old Oct 17th 2003, 5:55 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Leejo,

Try this www.wageline.qld.gov.au

I know it is for queensland and not Perth but I guess they all pay about the same. This site gives all info on state and non government pay bands.
Hope this helps.

Sarah
Old Oct 17th 2003, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I think the pay scales are on the www. education.qld.gov.au site.

When I looked before my wages would be around double what I get here ( disallowing London allowance) I am on Threshold 2.
I have not had any luck finding out if they count your years of experience or not. They should do teaching is teaching, but who knows.

You can also get hold of all the curriculum etc from this site. Sorry I don't have any info for Perth.
Old Oct 18th 2003, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Tazzy
Sorry, don't know but I've a friend in Adelaide doing some research for me on that one.
Hey, if we can't get on to Adelaide's supply books we could always start our own agency!! "Pom's Primary Supply", has a ring to it don't you think.
Tazzy
Sounds like a good plan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 18th 2003, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by tinaj
I think the pay scales are on the www. education.qld.gov.au site.

When I looked before my wages would be around double what I get here ( disallowing London allowance) I am on Threshold 2.
I have not had any luck finding out if they count your years of experience or not. They should do teaching is teaching, but who knows.

You can also get hold of all the curriculum etc from this site. Sorry I don't have any info for Perth.
I couldnt actually work out my wages, just hope they do count experience...be mighty unfair if they dont!
Good luck with your house sale
Old Oct 19th 2003, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

HazelG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Tazzy
Tazzy

Hi there,
I'm a science teacher also heading for Adelaide!
If you get any info on supply agencies I'd be grateful if you could let me know.
Alternatively put me on your books!!! - you might have to change your agency name tho'!!

thanks
Hazel :lecture:
Old Oct 21st 2003, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys
Does anyone know how the thing works re. sending new teachers to the outback to get more experience? Is this optional? Do they take into account whether you have a family etc. as I don't want to keep moving mine around too much!
Any info greatly appreciated!
Larissa
Old Oct 21st 2003, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Larissa
Hi guys
Does anyone know how the thing works re. sending new teachers to the outback to get more experience? Is this optional? Do they take into account whether you have a family etc. as I don't want to keep moving mine around too much!
Any info greatly appreciated!

Dont' know about this. But if you are heading to Queensland you can download the registration form that you need to fill in to be a state registered teacher out there. I printed it out and it is pretty straight forward. I am waiting until I am out there as you need an Aussie address I think and I don't have access to one yet.
Look on the Qld education site.
www.education.qld.gov.uk
Old Oct 21st 2003, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Tina
Will check the WA site more thoroughly as the link isn't working!!!
Larissa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.