Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Primary Schools in Redcliffe Peninsula (Scarborough / Margate / Kippa Ring etc)

Primary Schools in Redcliffe Peninsula (Scarborough / Margate / Kippa Ring etc)

Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:57 am
Just Joined

Location: Kikcaldy Scotland but starting work in Brisbane soon
Oh no no no Geordie Munro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Primary Schools in Redcliffe Peninsula (Scarborough / Margate / Kippa Ring etc)

Hi

I'm starting work in Brisbane in March - one of the 1st jobs is to find a place for the family (who will join a few months later once house sold).

Very keen on the Peninsula (looks great relaxed beach / cafe life) - plan to start with inexpensive rental and save up to buy dream home in say 3 years. We really fancy Scarborough (especially the canals at Newport for when we come to buy).

Seen old reviews on Expats that Scarborough State School wasn't as good as Humpybong in Margate or Hercules Rd in Kippa Ring.

Looking at the 2009 school reports the scores now show Scarborough is rated best for writing with Humpybong a little better at reading and numeracy - with Kippa Ring behind both. That was positive but the Scarborough report records a lot of suspensions (60 short and 8 long), only 50% of staff was satisfied with morale in the school, and only 67% of parents happy that their child is getting a good education.

Any inside / up to date knowledge out there ???

Anything would be great.

Cheers

Geo
Old Feb 16th 2011, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Primary Schools in Redcliffe Peninsula (Scarborough / Margate / Kippa Ring etc)

Originally Posted by Oh no no no Geordie Munro
Hi

I'm starting work in Brisbane in March - one of the 1st jobs is to find a place for the family (who will join a few months later once house sold).

Very keen on the Peninsula (looks great relaxed beach / cafe life) - plan to start with inexpensive rental and save up to buy dream home in say 3 years. We really fancy Scarborough (especially the canals at Newport for when we come to buy).

Seen old reviews on Expats that Scarborough State School wasn't as good as Humpybong in Margate or Hercules Rd in Kippa Ring.

Looking at the 2009 school reports the scores now show Scarborough is rated best for writing with Humpybong a little better at reading and numeracy - with Kippa Ring behind both. That was positive but the Scarborough report records a lot of suspensions (60 short and 8 long), only 50% of staff was satisfied with morale in the school, and only 67% of parents happy that their child is getting a good education.

Anything would be great.

Cheers

Geo

We looked at Redcliffe when we came over 7 years ago, the school situation to be honest really put me off, from memory there was a Catholic School based in Redcliffe but for us that wasn't an option.

The place years ago used to be called " Deadcliffe" as it was a real retirement area with not an awful lot happening years ago but that has obviously changed. Deception Bay around the corner again had a bad name but maybe things have moved on.

For a nice weekend stroll and meal we like Woody Point but again I wouldn't have a clue what the schools in that area are like. The kids soon got fed up with the beach when we were looking at houses in the area to rent, and 7 years ago we got rejected on each rental we applied for even when offering to pay for 6 months in advance, we eventually settled just outside the CBD at Wilston and loved it.

Good luck with your search I am sure there are some people on this site living up at Redclfffe with school aged children.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 9:06 am
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Primary Schools in Redcliffe Peninsula (Scarborough / Margate / Kippa Ring etc)

Hi

Anything would be great.

Cheers

Geo
Hi
I think that you should take a look at
http://www.myschool.edu.au/SchoolSearch.aspx as it shows the school of Humpybong in Margate below average, i live on ten mins from redcliffe and can say in the last few years the schools you say above have not performened very well.
Take a look at www.realestate.com.au and do a search on Newport etc as it is very expensive .
You really need to talk to people that use the school as it will give you true feelings about the schools and not a web site that is run by the goverment and is not 100% true.
I speak from experience as the school my kids go to gave some of the less educated kids the day off so they did not take part in the nap plan test and that way the school would get better results
all the best with your migration
Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Trevski
Hi
I think that you should take a look at
http://www.myschool.edu.au/SchoolSearch.aspx as it shows the school of Humpybong in Margate below average, i live on ten mins from redcliffe and can say in the last few years the schools you say above have not performened very well.
Take a look at www.realestate.com.au and do a search on Newport etc as it is very expensive .
You really need to talk to people that use the school as it will give you true feelings about the schools and not a web site that is run by the goverment and is not 100% true.
I speak from experience as the school my kids go to gave some of the less educated kids the day off so they did not take part in the nap plan test and that way the school would get better results
all the best with your migration
Hi

Can you recommend other areas / schools? Where do you live??

Geo
Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by macy
We looked at Redcliffe when we came over 7 years ago, the school situation to be honest really put me off, from memory there was a Catholic School based in Redcliffe but for us that wasn't an option.

The place years ago used to be called " Deadcliffe" as it was a real retirement area with not an awful lot happening years ago but that has obviously changed. Deception Bay around the corner again had a bad name but maybe things have moved on.

For a nice weekend stroll and meal we like Woody Point but again I wouldn't have a clue what the schools in that area are like. The kids soon got fed up with the beach when we were looking at houses in the area to rent, and 7 years ago we got rejected on each rental we applied for even when offering to pay for 6 months in advance, we eventually settled just outside the CBD at Wilston and loved it.

Good luck with your search I am sure there are some people on this site living up at Redclfffe with school aged children.
Hi

Thanks for that.

PS why were 6 month rentals hard to find? All areas??

PPS Any knowledge of North Lakes / Rothwell??

Geo
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:42 pm
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

Can you recommend other areas / schools? Where do you live??

Geo
I live in a place called Halpine Lake that is the new part of Mango Hill,we live a few mins from north lakes which is full of rentals and called little brittian.
There is a good school called holy cross its a private but when you work out the fees that we pay for state school it works out just as expensive as going private.
Rothwell is a old part and a lot of old rentals witha mix of small newer duplex rentals.
At present rentals are fine to obtain,just search on the web site i gave

Last edited by Trevski; Feb 16th 2011 at 8:48 pm.