Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Primary Schools in Melbourne

Primary Schools in Melbourne

Old Aug 9th 2006, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

simpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud of
Default Primary Schools in Melbourne

Hi, does anyone have any knowledge of the primary schools around the Mentone/Beaumaris/Moorabbin/Parkdale area's?
Which area would have the best schooling? Is it better to go private?
Any help appreciated.

Darren
Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

Sunny spells is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Primary Schools in Melbourne

Originally Posted by simpy
Hi, does anyone have any knowledge of the primary schools around the Mentone/Beaumaris/Moorabbin/Parkdale area's?
Any help appreciated.

Darren

we should be moving to that area soon and without pointing out any school specifically, the overall consensous is that any school in the Bayside area, public or private, is pretty good.
Just last night I was told by two Melbournians that in the Black Rock Beaumaris area, schools have a distinct family feel to them and at the same time offer good education (bonus!).

good luck...
Old Aug 9th 2006, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

simpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sunny spells
we should be moving to that area soon and without pointing out any school specifically, the overall consensous is that any school in the Bayside area, public or private, is pretty good.
Just last night I was told by two Melbournians that in the Black Rock Beaumaris area, schools have a distinct family feel to them and at the same time offer good education (bonus!).

good luck...
Hi Sunny Spells, your reply sounds just perfect. We are awaiting our CO shortly and have been studying all around the Melbourne suburbs as to where we would like to rent. Some friends went out before Christmas and they have settled on the West side but from what we can tell off the internet, the East side is more suited to us.
Just wish things would hurry up tho'

Darren
Old Aug 9th 2006, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

Sunny spells is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sunny Spells, your reply sounds just perfect. We are awaiting our CO shortly and have been studying all around the Melbourne suburbs as to where we would like to rent. Some friends went out before Christmas and they have settled on the West side but from what we can tell off the internet, the East side is more suited to us.
Just wish things would hurry up tho'

Darren
been in Melbourne for 2 years and lived in South Yarra.
now setting up family further down, still on the south east side.
I cannot avoid sounding snobby, but this side of the bridge is supposed to be much better than the west side.
with better comes a price tag though.

Brighton is mega expensive and so is Elwood (house prices I mean...).
Anything further down should allow you to enjoy the beach at reasonable rent figures... and that family feel I mentioned...
if you go to Mentone, you can get inot the city nearly just as fast as from Hampton, as you can get to the Nepean highway much quicker than having to negotiate the traffic lights on Hampton Street.

that's just my opinion btw....
Old Aug 9th 2006, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sunny spells
been in Melbourne for 2 years and lived in South Yarra.
now setting up family further down, still on the south east side.
I cannot avoid sounding snobby, but this side of the bridge is supposed to be much better than the west side.
with better comes a price tag though.

Brighton is mega expensive and so is Elwood (house prices I mean...).
Anything further down should allow you to enjoy the beach at reasonable rent figures... and that family feel I mentioned...
if you go to Mentone, you can get inot the city nearly just as fast as from Hampton, as you can get to the Nepean highway much quicker than having to negotiate the traffic lights on Hampton Street.

that's just my opinion btw....
You don't sound 'snobby' at all, there is nothing wrong in wanting to provide a better lifestyle for yourself and your family. We realise that the East is more expensive but what we decided was whats the point in travelling 12,000 miles to not have a better lifestyle, or do i sound snobby now
Thanks for the tips on Brighton/Elwood. We have seen some properties to rent, via internet, around Beaumaris and Parkdale that are near to Beach and schools and they are priced AUD$ 350-500pw. We are currently renting whilst awaiting visa's and we are paying £800 GBP pcm and are nowhere near a beach and in a built up area not near any schools so at least it gives us some idea as to what to pay when we do arrive.
Hope all works out for you when you move and hopefully we may see you on the beach in the near future!!!
Old Aug 9th 2006, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Darren,

My daughter (aged 6) goes to Beaumaris Primary. She has been there for just under a year and loves it - indeed she told me yesterday that she enjoys it more than our village school in Hampshire, never thought she would ever say that !

The education is less formal than in the UK and the focus is more on the development of the child - confidence building, life skills, how to communicate and play. Also a lot more focus on sport, games and the outdoor life. We've been extremely impressed with the teachers, the school and generally how settled the kids are. They also encourage a lot of parent involvement and have a fabulous fathers club.

There are a number of other families from the UK with similar aged kids who go to Beaumaris and I'm sure they all say the same thing.

At primary age we certainly felt there was no need to go private.

Hope this helps, feel free to drop me a PM if you need more info.

Cheers and good luck.
Col

Any help appreciated.

Darren
Old Aug 9th 2006, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by haggis supper
Darren,

My daughter (aged 6) goes to Beaumaris Primary. She has been there for just under a year and loves it - indeed she told me yesterday that she enjoys it more than our village school in Hampshire, never thought she would ever say that !

The education is less formal than in the UK and the focus is more on the development of the child - confidence building, life skills, how to communicate and play. Also a lot more focus on sport, games and the outdoor life. We've been extremely impressed with the teachers, the school and generally how settled the kids are. They also encourage a lot of parent involvement and have a fabulous fathers club.

There are a number of other families from the UK with similar aged kids who go to Beaumaris and I'm sure they all say the same thing.

At primary age we certainly felt there was no need to go private.

Hope this helps, feel free to drop me a PM if you need more info.

Cheers and good luck.
Col
Cheers Haggis Supper, glad to know that there is no real need for private. My Children are 9+7. When it gets nearer the time for us to come out I will probably PM you if thats ok.

Darren