Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Primary Schools in the Hills District, Sydney

Primary Schools in the Hills District, Sydney

Old Oct 2nd 2008, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

vsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nice
Default Primary Schools in the Hills District, Sydney

Hi there,

My husband and I moved from UK to Sydney in 2001 and then moved back to the UK in 2005 with a 1 year old son so that he could grow up around family.

After living back in the UK for 4 years, we have decided to move back out to Sydney because I feel it is a better place to bring up my son. He will be starting Kindy in Jan 2009 and we will be moving to either Baulkham Hills or Castle Hill. I was thinking of putting him in the Hills Private Grammar School but I have heard that the Primary Schools in the Hills District are just as good.

Does anyone know if this is true and if so, could someone give me some advice as to which of the Primary Schools in Baulkham Hills/Castle Hill are best so that we can make sure that we rent in the catchment for the school.

Thanks in advance.

Vanita
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Primary Schools in the Hills District, Sydney

Hi Vanita

You will find a lot of parents who put their children into local public schools and then go to private schools for their senior years.

My children were at Glenhaven Public school before we moved to Brisbane and I found it to be an excellent school. They take a lot of kids from out of area as people really want their kids to go there. My daughter, without any additional coaching, managed to secure a scholarship to a private school in Brisbane after being at Glenhaven.

I have also taught in several of the schools in the area.

I think the main difference I found in them to Glenhaven was the wider socio-economic mix within the schools.

In general a good suburb = good school. So bearing that in mind, try to stay on the eastern side of the Windsor Road. The more western suburbs are certainly cheaper, and still decent areas to live, but they do have a less good reputation in terms of being "quality" areas.

Samuel Gilbert School is a school located on the Southern side of Glenhaven, but classed as Castle Hill. It is a good school with a good reputation. If you are restricting yourself only to Castle Hill and Baulkham Hills it should definitely be on your list.

Oakhill Drive is a nice school, also classed as Castle Hill but nearer Cherrybrook. They have a great staff there and I always found it to be a good school.

Dural Public School in another school you might like to consider. In years 5 and 6 they have an "opportunity class" for particularly bright kids. It is exam entry only though and all the schools in the area feed into that class, you do not have to be in the school already to apply for entry into the OC. My eldest was offered a place in the class but for various reasons (I'll discuss those by PM if you want) we decided not to take the place and she remained at Glenhaven.

Cherrybrook and John Purchse Public schools are 2 more which are good schools. The main difference with these and Glenhaven is the much higher racial mix within the schools. Whereas Glenahven is almost exclusively caucasian, Cherrybrook and John Purchase have a high percentage of Chinese students. This means the standard within the schools is very high as many of the Chinese parents send their children for extra coaching outside of school, meaning that the school has to cater for these students.

Castle Hill Public is an OK school, but it's a BIG school. I just prefer a smaller school where a child is an individual, not one of the throng.

Beaumont Hills has a lovely atmosphere, but they have an unusual grading system. They work in the NSW curriculum stages rather than grades, meaning children are in composite classes all the way through the school. Glenhaven did this successfully in years 5 and 6 but from a teaching point of view, I think it is less successful in the lower grades.

IronBark Ridge is a very new school. It has a happy atmosphere and very modern facilities. It is next door to the new Rouse Hill High school which I believe opens next year.

Sherwood Ridge is a fairly new school in Kellyville. I only taught there a couple of times but I found the staff pretty unfriendly. The kids seems happy though.

There are plenty of other schools which I have not mentioned, just because I don't know enough about them to give you an opinion. You may want to consider the local Catholic schools. You do not HAVE to be Catholic to go to them but it certainly helps when trying to secure a place. They are fee paying but it's only a minimal amount and they tend to be good schools.

Hills Grammar School has mixed reviews in the Hills area and I would certainly encourage you to look at other schools as well. William Clarke College in Kellyville should be one you consider and look at Kings as well. Northholm Grammar also has an excellent reputation. Kings and Northholm would mean a longer drive or a bus to school - they have pick ups all over the Hills area, but I would put those two above Hills Grammar.

I hope that helps a bit. There are a number of people in the area who I am sure will be able to give you their opinions of their local schools.

Rudi

Last edited by Rudi; Oct 2nd 2008 at 9:33 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 5:49 am
Just Joined

vsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rudi
Hi Vanita

You will find a lot of parents who put their children into local public schools and then go to private schools for their senior years.

My children were at Glenhaven Public school before we moved to Brisbane and I found it to be an excellent school. They take a lot of kids from out of area as people really want their kids to go there. My daughter, without any additional coaching, managed to secure a scholarship to a private school in Brisbane after being at Glenhaven.

I have also taught in several of the schools in the area.

I think the main difference I found in them to Glenhaven was the wider socio-economic mix within the schools.

In general a good suburb = good school. So bearing that in mind, try to stay on the eastern side of the Windsor Road. The more western suburbs are certainly cheaper, and still decent areas to live, but they do have a less good reputation in terms of being "quality" areas.

Samuel Gilbert School is a school located on the Southern side of Glenhaven, but classed as Castle Hill. It is a good school with a good reputation. If you are restricting yourself only to Castle Hill and Baulkham Hills it should definitely be on your list.

Oakhill Drive is a nice school, also classed as Castle Hill but nearer Cherrybrook. They have a great staff there and I always found it to be a good school.

Dural Public School in another school you might like to consider. In years 5 and 6 they have an "opportunity class" for particularly bright kids. It is exam entry only though and all the schools in the area feed into that class, you do not have to be in the school already to apply for entry into the OC. My eldest was offered a place in the class but for various reasons (I'll discuss those by PM if you want) we decided not to take the place and she remained at Glenhaven.

Cherrybrook and John Purchse Public schools are 2 more which are good schools. The main difference with these and Glenhaven is the much higher racial mix within the schools. Whereas Glenahven is almost exclusively caucasian, Cherrybrook and John Purchase have a high percentage of Chinese students. This means the standard within the schools is very high as many of the Chinese parents send their children for extra coaching outside of school, meaning that the school has to cater for these students.

Castle Hill Public is an OK school, but it's a BIG school. I just prefer a smaller school where a child is an individual, not one of the throng.

Beaumont Hills has a lovely atmosphere, but they have an unusual grading system. They work in the NSW curriculum stages rather than grades, meaning children are in composite classes all the way through the school. Glenhaven did this successfully in years 5 and 6 but from a teaching point of view, I think it is less successful in the lower grades.

IronBark Ridge is a very new school. It has a happy atmosphere and very modern facilities. It is next door to the new Rouse Hill High school which I believe opens next year.

Sherwood Ridge is a fairly new school in Kellyville. I only taught there a couple of times but I found the staff pretty unfriendly. The kids seems happy though.

There are plenty of other schools which I have not mentioned, just because I don't know enough about them to give you an opinion. You may want to consider the local Catholic schools. You do not HAVE to be Catholic to go to them but it certainly helps when trying to secure a place. They are fee paying but it's only a minimal amount and they tend to be good schools.

Hills Grammar School has mixed reviews in the Hills area and I would certainly encourage you to look at other schools as well. William Clarke College in Kellyville should be one you consider and look at Kings as well. Northholm Grammar also has an excellent reputation. Kings and Northholm would mean a longer drive or a bus to school - they have pick ups all over the Hills area, but I would put those two above Hills Grammar.

I hope that helps a bit. There are a number of people in the area who I am sure will be able to give you their opinions of their local schools.

Rudi
Hi Rudi,

Thanks for the information - you've given me so much to think about which is really helpful.

Once again, thanks.

Vanita
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rudi
Hi Vanita

You will find a lot of parents who put their children into local public In general a good suburb = good school. So bearing that in mind, try to stay on the eastern side of the Windsor Road. The more western suburbs are certainly cheaper, and still decent areas to live, but they do have a less good reputation in terms of being "quality" areas.

Rudi
Rudi, I never thought you were a snob, but this comment makes me think differently and I'm sure the people who live west of Windsor Road wont be happy either. Just as many $1m properties there as to the east. As for schools, there are better primary schools, in my opinion, on the western side of Windsor Road. My opinion is based on working 40 years in the NSW system + 10 years in Scotland.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

cee1jay is an unknown quantity at this point

can anyone give me any thoughts on Jasper Road public? Renting now and looking to buy,son @ Excelsior but are willing to move him.
Thanks
Old Oct 7th 2008, 6:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cee1jay
can anyone give me any thoughts on Jasper Road public? Renting now and looking to buy,son @ Excelsior but are willing to move him.
Thanks
Hi cee1jay,

I have just received an e-mail from one of my friends in the Hills District who has many friends with children in schools in the area. One of the schools that has been recommended is Jasper Road Public. What is Exclesior like?

Vanita
Old Oct 7th 2008, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

cee1jay is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Vanita
UMmm nothing special really that is why we are happy to move him. It is a small school and most of the teachers are over 55 I would say. My son's teacher is very 'old school' .he gets on with her but plenty don't. Dont get me wrong I am happy enough with it and my son settled so well there mid way through the term but I don't have any issues with moving him. Its ironic Jasper Road was the only school we didnt look round. looked at Samuel Gilbert (first choice-lovely) Crestwood (good)and Castle Hill (too big) but in the end it just came down to where we could get a rental. So, would be happy to get any feedback on J.R as have seen a nice house!
Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:03 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cee1jay
....any feedback on J.R as have seen a nice house!
How exciting! An ex colleague of mine used to send her son there, until they moved interstate, and one of her fears was finding a school that could live up to her experience with Jasper Road! She described it as a "happy community school" and was particularly pleased with the opportunities for extension available at the school. I don't think you would be disappointed if you chose this school for your children.

When's the housewarming then?!

B
Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:07 pm
Sun Dodger

Bluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really nice

My daughter went to Castle Hill Public School & we and she couldn't have been happier with the school. Yes, it is big, but this was not a problem at all as far as we were concerned. The school has a very good reputation in the area.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bluerobot
My daughter went to Castle Hill Public School & we and she couldn't have been happier with the school. Yes, it is big, but this was not a problem at all as far as we were concerned. The school has a very good reputation in the area.
Thanks for the advice - the area we are initially going to be living in falls in the catchment for Castle Hill Public School so it is one of the schools we will be considering. If you don't mind me asking where does your daughter go to school now and how long was she at Castle Hill Public?

Thanks,
Vanita
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:50 am
Sun Dodger

Bluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really nice

She was at the Public School for 2 years and is now at Castle Hill High. Also pleased with this school, it's scruffy looking but they are getting pretty good results now.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

I know the Hills well, and though I now work as a property buyers agent I used to also be a teacher (we have a lot in common Gibbo!!) and also happen to have 3 children still in school (two in high school, one in primary).
All 3 went to St Michael's at BH, which I was very happy with. Lovely teachers, caring atmosphere but very large (4 stream). I also have friends and family whose children have attended almost all of the schools mentioned, with differing results. In the end, it's not so much whether or not a school is "good" or "reputable" (and, indeed, how do we measure this? HSC results? Sporting achievements? Pastoral care?) but how your child fits in, feels safe and is happy that counts. Most primary schools in the Hills would probably be perfectly fine, but if your child is used to a smaller environment then look for a similar school to lessen the shock impact of going from a one-stream to a multi-stream institution.

If your child has a particular penchant for sport or drama or science or IT, then similarly look for a school (more appropriate in high school here) that caters for their needs here too. Not all high schools offer every subject choice as they get older, and it's more important for some students to be able to study their area of interest than it is to attend the "perfect" school (which doesn't exist, by the way)

As a former teacher, I also agree with Gibbo that area doesn't always necessarily equate to "quality". My good friend teaches in a very very expensive private school and you should hear what some of the students get up to, unbeknownst to their parents. It would make your hair curl
I've taught over the years in a variety of suburbs (from distinctly lower income to middle class and beyond) and I can debunk many of the myths, along with several teachers here, I'm sure.

Despite our best intentions as parents, we really can only provide our children with so much - in the end, it's up to them to learn in spite of their environment. It's an old age argument, and all of us here could point out several examples of highly successful people who've not only attended ordinary public schools (some with devilish poor reputations!) but have dropped out early, been expelled or labelled as "no hopers" by their teachers only to flaunt the system and emerge as beautiful butterflies.
Anyway, I digress ...

Don't be afraid to check out all the schools, and in the end try not to listen to everybody. Trust your own instincts and remember that the best education begins at home anyway
Old Oct 11th 2008, 9:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jacque
I know the Hills well, and though I now work as a property buyers agent I used to also be a teacher (we have a lot in common Gibbo!!) and also happen to have 3 children still in school (two in high school, one in primary).
All 3 went to St Michael's at BH, which I was very happy with. Lovely teachers, caring atmosphere but very large (4 stream). I also have friends and family whose children have attended almost all of the schools mentioned, with differing results. In the end, it's not so much whether or not a school is "good" or "reputable" (and, indeed, how do we measure this? HSC results? Sporting achievements? Pastoral care?) but how your child fits in, feels safe and is happy that counts. Most primary schools in the Hills would probably be perfectly fine, but if your child is used to a smaller environment then look for a similar school to lessen the shock impact of going from a one-stream to a multi-stream institution.

If your child has a particular penchant for sport or drama or science or IT, then similarly look for a school (more appropriate in high school here) that caters for their needs here too. Not all high schools offer every subject choice as they get older, and it's more important for some students to be able to study their area of interest than it is to attend the "perfect" school (which doesn't exist, by the way)

As a former teacher, I also agree with Gibbo that area doesn't always necessarily equate to "quality". My good friend teaches in a very very expensive private school and you should hear what some of the students get up to, unbeknownst to their parents. It would make your hair curl
I've taught over the years in a variety of suburbs (from distinctly lower income to middle class and beyond) and I can debunk many of the myths, along with several teachers here, I'm sure.

Despite our best intentions as parents, we really can only provide our children with so much - in the end, it's up to them to learn in spite of their environment. It's an old age argument, and all of us here could point out several examples of highly successful people who've not only attended ordinary public schools (some with devilish poor reputations!) but have dropped out early, been expelled or labelled as "no hopers" by their teachers only to flaunt the system and emerge as beautiful butterflies.
Anyway, I digress ...

Don't be afraid to check out all the schools, and in the end try not to listen to everybody. Trust your own instincts and remember that the best education begins at home anyway
Thanks for the reply Jacque. Are there any primary schools in the Hills District that you would say we should stay away from and any that you think should definately be top of the list. We are considering the following schools:

Crestwood Public
Jasper Road Public
Winston Hills Public
Matthew Pearce
Castle Hill Public
Oakhill Drive
Samuel Gilbert
Beaumont Hills
Kellyville Public
Ironbark Ridge

Thanks for your advice.

Vanita
Old Oct 11th 2008, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by vsuman
Thanks for the reply Jacque. Are there any primary schools in the Hills District that you would say we should stay away from and any that you think should definately be top of the list. We are considering the following schools:

Crestwood Public
Jasper Road Public
Winston Hills Public
Matthew Pearce
Castle Hill Public
Oakhill Drive
Samuel Gilbert
Beaumont Hills
Kellyville Public
Ironbark Ridge

Thanks for your advice.

Vanita
Hi Vanita

As I said, it's really up to you to decide after visiting these schools for yourself. You will also need to reside in a particular area for public schools (govt schools, which make up approx 65% of NSW schools) to qualify for entry regardless, as you are automatically included/excluded depending on address. Obviously, some schools have exceptions, but if they are full already you simply won't get your child a place, unless your address is within the defined enrolment area. Check out these sites for more information:

www.australianschoolsdirectory.com.au

www.schools.nsw.edu.au

If you're willing to consider other schools: either religious or independent, then area isn't as important, though again it depends. Catholic schools prefer local residents (who are catholic!) and most other private schools couldn't care less where you live, as they're fee-based. There's a lot of choice when it comes to Aussie schools, just as there is in in the UK.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

abcn is a jewel in the roughabcn is a jewel in the roughabcn is a jewel in the roughabcn is a jewel in the roughabcn is a jewel in the rough

Hi all:
any one can help for the primary school at hornsby and meadowbank area? both public and Catholic schools.Thanks