Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Primary schooling in Oz

Primary schooling in Oz

Old Jan 9th 2005, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice
Default Re: Primary schooling in Oz

Originally Posted by G'Day
There is no such thing as the "correct age" for a child to be at, at any given level of school. Every child is unique and this whole "box" method of dealing with children is just plain rediculous.
Well be prepared to encounter it. It is sad, but as I expected, not much has changed in 20 years. Our son would have driven us mental if the current Queensland rules applied to him. In London, a legendary headmistress summed him up by giving him a few puzzles while ostensibly interviewing his parents and he loved school. The battles started when we returned to Oz.

So if you have a child who can read (but not understand) the Economist in Primary School don't say you have not been warned.
Old Jan 9th 2005, 11:06 am
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Our daughter will have completed year 3 by the time we are hoping to be in OZ, as she has always been one of the youngest in her class, starting school just 2 months after her 4th birthday, we have decided to let her stay with her own age group even if this means repeating year 3.
The move is going to be stressful enough without adding school work and making friends in to the mix, I would like to make her first year as easy as possible.
At the end of the day if she is happy we are happy!
Old Jan 9th 2005, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

beach bound is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat
Our daughter will have completed year 3 by the time we are hoping to be in OZ, as she has always been one of the youngest in her class, starting school just 2 months after her 4th birthday, we have decided to let her stay with her own age group even if this means repeating year 3.
The move is going to be stressful enough without adding school work and making friends in to the mix, I would like to make her first year as easy as possible.
At the end of the day if she is happy we are happy!
Hope you don't mind me coming into the conversation but have found it all an interesting read. We are facing similar dilemmas about schooling as we are emigrating in July this year after my 6 year old daughter completes year 2 and my 4 year old son reception class.

Our daughter is a young one for her class here in the UK (a July baby) but is doing really well with an advanced reading age. I'm assuming my daughter will go into year 3 in Jan 06 (as she'll be 8 in July 06) and my son into year 1 (as he'll be 6 in May 06). If this is correct then it means that they are 'repeating' the equivalent of just 3 months of a UK year (ie Sept to Dec equivalent). Is this making sense or have I miscalculated? - would appreciate your thoughts

What I can't work out is, how do the UK and Oz curriculums compare for each year. For instance my son has just finished doing all the phonics and is now reading simple books - how does this match Oz reception equivalent. In year 2 my daughter is just getting into 'joined-up' writing but I don't know if she's doing the same as year 2's in Oz. Does anyone know the similarities between the 2 education systems?

BB
Old Jan 9th 2005, 11:12 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by beach bound
Hope you don't mind me coming into the conversation but have found it all an interesting read. We are facing similar dilemmas about schooling as we are emigrating in July this year after my 6 year old daughter completes year 2 and my 4 year old son reception class.

Our daughter is a young one for her class here in the UK (a July baby) but is doing really well with an advanced reading age. I'm assuming my daughter will go into year 3 in Jan 06 (as she'll be 8 in July 06) and my son into year 1 (as he'll be 6 in May 06). If this is correct then it means that they are 'repeating' the equivalent of just 3 months of a UK year (ie Sept to Dec equivalent). Is this making sense or have I miscalculated? - would appreciate your thoughts

What I can't work out is, how do the UK and Oz curriculums compare for each year. For instance my son has just finished doing all the phonics and is now reading simple books - how does this match Oz reception equivalent. In year 2 my daughter is just getting into 'joined-up' writing but I don't know if she's doing the same as year 2's in Oz. Does anyone know the similarities between the 2 education systems?

BB
As a comparison for your Son, my daughter is 9 in May 2006, and she is going into year 4 this month. This would apply for QLD & NSW, not sure about the other States.

Also, the different States currently have different curriculums, and rules on starting dates, so it is not easy to compare generally to the UK.

The States aso have different handwriting styles, so your daughter "MAY" need to change hers. When we moved from NSW to QLD, my daughter had to change her style, but she found it very easy. She was at the beginning of year 2 when we moved.

My daughter was reading simple books in Kindergarten and year 1. (Kindergarten in NSW is the equivalent of Pre-School in QLD, and Reception in UK, ie: the first school year before year 1)

Old Jan 9th 2005, 11:28 pm
rudo1ph

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
As a comparison for your Son, my daughter is 9 in May 2006, and she is going into year 4 this month. This would apply for QLD & NSW, not sure about the other States.

Also, the different States currently have different curriculums, and rules on starting dates, so it is not easy to compare generally to the UK.

The States aso have different handwriting styles, so your daughter "MAY" need to change hers. When we moved from NSW to QLD, my daughter had to change her style, but she found it very easy. She was at the beginning of year 2 when we moved.

My daughter was reading simple books in Kindergarten and year 1. (Kindergarten in NSW is the equivalent of Pre-School in QLD, and Reception in UK, ie: the first school year before year 1)

And as another comparison.....my daughter is 9 in August but will be going into year three this year.......she misses the July cut off day........

Old Jan 9th 2005, 11:49 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Not only do state schools in different states have different starting ages for each year but state vs private can also have differences. You need to check out individual schools for requirements. Also schools can have different attitudes - but basically common sense prevails. (And if it doesn't change the choice of school )

We had a difficult decision when because of the age differences my son would have had to repeat year 6 in primary after he had already spent two terms in high school in the UK. Along with our son we decided going up a year was the best policy and the school agreed, he started high school here. He was in the top classes within a couple of months and has stayed there. He is a year younger than the majority of his class mates and will only turn 17 in his final year 12. He is adult for his years and I think he is only bothered about schoolies week when he will only be 17 when he hopes to join the rest on the trips!

Our daughter was 9 when she came over and was in year 5 in the UK - she went back into year 4 because it was much more important for her socially to be with her peer group.

In both cases we were happy with the change of years - cause it all really depends on the child and the school. If you are worried about a bright child slipping or being bored check out that the school helps with opportunity classes or does streaming, equally check that schools do not leave/lump the not so academic behind. Taking time over choice of school is very important. We bought in a area because of school choice rather than pick the area and then find we did not like the school.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sandra
We had a difficult decision when because of the age differences my son would have had to repeat year 6 in primary after he had already spent two terms in high school in the UK. Along with our son we decided going up a year was the best policy and the school agreed, he started high school here.
Sandra, I hope this didn't require too much effort on your part with not much of the "pushy parent" stuff being muttered in stage whispers.

I'll share the rest of the story. After being dux of his prep school and entering senior school when we wished, he dropped off the prize list. Whoops, wrong decision? No way. He wanted to do law and you know what that means UAI wise. Halfway through year 11 he said: "I'm going to start work now. Sailed through the HSC *without* doing 4 Unit Maths - NSW people suck in breath at this point. Got his UAI, got Ecos/Law and now at the Millionaires' Factory.

Meanwhile, his cousin (14 years younger) has the same birthdate as our son was dux of year 9 at the same school but in his "correct" age cohort (a year later), did less well in the 2003 HSC despite higher and similar career expectations. His first year at Uni (Commerce only) has been quite disappointing.

In short, everyone is different. But why does the system insist on treating them the same despite the evidence there for all (parents) to see? But what do parents know?
Old Jan 10th 2005, 3:26 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Primary schooling in Oz - off topic Secondary!

Originally Posted by Banksia
Sandra, I hope this didn't require too much effort on your part with not much of the "pushy parent" stuff being muttered in stage whispers.

..........But what do parents know?
Actually I did get a bit but mostly from other parents thinking I was calling the school system here worse than the UK.....not worse just different. My son actually does not want to go to University at the moment he is really set on a career in catering despite his academic ability. I have asked he does his HSC and work well for it to enable him to have future choices plus if he left school after this year 10 he would only be 15! Not too worried about his decision since I refused to go to Uni in favour of a paid job and did not get my degree till 28 odd.

I really did spend a lot of time choosing a school before we came here and was determined to ensure the school choice was right for my son - they are as they support him all the way. The state school I chose in Sydney was St Ives and 2nd in results for state schools in NSW this year. After Killara High the no 1...(but I couldn't afford the house prices in Killara Actually that is not totally true, St Ives have a deaf unit as well and my daughter who is starting in Year 7 this year will be attending there as well because of her partial deafness.

Anyway being told I am pushy never did hurt me - I was like this in the UK checking and choosing schools for my children. The age thing can be hard to get your head round and some of the privates have an even earlier cut of date than the July one, around end March some of them, which would have meant an even bigger battle for my son.

I am still looking and trying to understand this UAI thing I must start another thread (sorry for hijacking this one) especially the bit about the school they attend having an affect on the scores!?

It hasn't been all plain sailing here, my daughter in years 4 and 5 at primary here were great then we had a nasty year 6 with the teacher not wanting to make any effort with having a deaf child in her class (including sitting her at the back!). We are glad that this was her final year and she has a new start in year 7. Onwards and Upwards.....

Cheers Sandra
Old Jan 10th 2005, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

beach bound is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your replies. It helps give an idea of what to expect.

ABCDiamond, we are planning to emigrate to QLD so it is useful to have the comparison of the May birthdates. However, given what you say Rudo1ph about a July cut-off it leaves me wondering about our July 5th daughter! Adding differences that private vs state brings in means that it will be a good thing when we finally get over to QLD and can talk to the school staff personally. Like you Sandra, we are trying to find a good school first and plan around that. It's hard not being there and having the chance to talk to the school staff in person.

Thanks again for your help

BB
Old Jan 10th 2005, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

mrs_sparky12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all that info. And it looks as though I'm worrying entirely unnecessarily at the moment as, from what I've gathered from the posts, my daughter shouldn't be starting pre-school (QLD) until aged 5 not aged 4 as I'd previously thought.

Now all we need to do is to decide whether to emigrate or not....
Old Jan 10th 2005, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I see some people coming to QLD are reading this post, so I will point out altough its been said preschool here is like UK reception thats not the case, my child in reception in the UK was learning to read and write, here its more casual in pre school the teachers are not allowed to teach formal work, they play and will sing and have stories read to them but year one is when they learn the alphabet, start to write and read simple books, pre school is also only the equivalent of 5 days a fortnight, not full time. Your child can start pre school if a place is available when they are 4 but if you feel they are not ready Qld has no problem with you holding them over to the next year, common practice when the childs birthday is at the end of the school year (making them the youngest). As discussed already the system changes in 2007.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 9:31 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I see some people coming to QLD are reading this post, so I will point out altough its been said preschool here is like UK reception thats not the case, my child in reception in the UK was learning to read and write, here its more casual in pre school the teachers are not allowed to teach formal work, they play and will sing and have stories read to them but year one is when they learn the alphabet, start to write and read simple books, pre school is also only the equivalent of 5 days a fortnight, not full time.
Tha'ts more confirmation that the States are/have been different. My daughter did that year in NSW, where it is a full 5 days per week, and did learrn to read and write before going into year 1.