Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Primary school issues in Bayside

Primary school issues in Bayside

Old Sep 20th 2013, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Debsnumpty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Primary school issues in Bayside

It's looking more likely that we're going to make the move, which is really exciting. I'm thinking about education for our two little ones. They're 5 and 7 and currently in private school. Ella (7) is a December baby and Archie (5) is a July baby. Ella's doing well academically and has just started Year 3, Archie has just gone into Reception as he has been held back a year.
We're looking at living in the Bayside area.
Has anyone got any practical advice re schools - not sure where to start... We'd like state co-ed, but which years would they be joining and how likely are they to get in to schools?
Many thanks for any advice.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 9:13 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Primary school issues in Bayside

Originally Posted by Debsnumpty
We're looking at living in the Bayside area.
Which city???

Has anyone got any practical advice re schools - not sure where to start... We'd like state co-ed, but which years would they be joining and how likely are they to get in to schools?
Which years they would join in is state-dependent. In VIC if a child has its 5th birthday after April 30th it can start the following February. If its 5th birthday is before April 30th it can start the February before. So the youngest children in prep would be 4 and 10 months.

You should have no problems finding a school. Some primaries are zoned, many are not.

BB
Old Sep 21st 2013, 1:54 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Primary school issues in Bayside

I grew up in the Bayside, Melbourne area and we are about to move back after 3.5 years in Malaysia. There are a lot of highly regarded govt primary schools in the area. We are targeting either Hampton or Brighton primary which are both strictly zoned. You can check the respective school websites for zoning information. If you live within the zoned area, the (govt) school must accept your child for enrollment.

My son just started Year 2 at his British International school here in KL -- he will be re-starting Year 2 in Melbourne in January 2014 because of the age requirements.

Last edited by ajw; Sep 21st 2013 at 1:58 am.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Thanks v much Buzzy Bee and ajw. I hadn't realised they had to offer a place if you were within zone. Over here they can offer an alternative which can sometimes be a failing school...
Really reassuring to hear you're targeting Hampton or Brighton Primary as those were the ones we were looking at, along with Gardenvale and St Leonards College. It's going to be hard choosing without getting to visit them to get a feel for them.
Schools around here are reluctant to let children join a year out of their chronological year (holding back or jumping forward). Is there a general feeling about this in Oz?
Old Sep 21st 2013, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks v much Buzzy Bee and ajw. I hadn't realised they had to offer a place if you were within zone. Over here they can offer an alternative which can sometimes be a failing school...
Really reassuring to hear you're targeting Hampton or Brighton Primary as those were the ones we were looking at, along with Gardenvale and St Leonards College. It's going to be hard choosing without getting to visit them to get a feel for them.
Schools around here are reluctant to let children join a year out of their chronological year (holding back or jumping forward). Is there a general feeling about this in Oz?
Schools will generally put kids with their chronological peers so if you have a child turning 8 in Dec they will be yr 3 next yr and a child turning 6 next July will be in first yr of full time school in all states except NSW (it's called different things in different states) where they could possibly be yr 1. You'd have to make a very strong case with psychological and social and emotional assessments pointing to giftedness but, really, they're usually better with their age peers.

Choose your home first - the local school will be obliged to take them and getting a place you are prepared to live in can be more of a challenge. If you don't like the local Gov school there is usually a parallel Catholic school.

Basically just forget all you know about education - it's a foreign country with its own idiosyncratic systems!
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 1:08 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Debsnumpty,

All of those schools that you have mentioned are very highly regarded. St Leonards, being private, will be the costliest option.

Teachers at my son's current son recently flagged potential at grade skipping in Australia (he's been assessed by an Educational Psychologist here). However, upon speaking to the principal at Hampton Primary, I was advised it is something that they do not do. Instead they offer a differentiated curriculum within the same year level. TBH, I would prefer that he remained in a class with his year group peers.

Edited: Also, check out Brighton Beach Primary School

Cheers
ajw

Last edited by ajw; Sep 22nd 2013 at 1:21 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 7:35 am
Just Joined

Thanks ajw. Brighton Beach Primary School looks interesting - a bit different. The school they are currently in is very different - no exams, v nurturing... Lots to think about.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Try Beaumaris North Primary School (IB-PYP) too. I would enquire via email to the schools now to see availability as sometimes you can't get in to the Year levels required as they have been oversubscribed.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Ella being 7, will be in Year 1 now if she was here in VIC whilst Archie being 5 will be starting Prep next year as he has missed the April cut off. Private schools may take him as they are a bit more flexible on their age cut offs.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Many of my girlfriends originally met each other here

http://www.hampcomm.org/index.php/ch...9-uk-playgroup
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

We looked at Beaumaris and Beaumaris North when we arrived 8 years ago when the kids were 3 and 5. We opted for Beaumaris as we just felt it had a slightly better feel about it. Initially we were very pleased as the early focus is about developing the children, life skills and building confidence - which was perfect for our two shy kids.

After a few years we became a little disillusioned with the lack of formal education, with homework seemingly an option. When it was given, homework was often - climb a tree, ride a bike, help around the house etc which is stuff we felt was a parents responsibility. There was also a little bullying which we don't feel the school dealt with particularly well.

There is a new Headmistress at Beaumaris though which I believe has made a big difference - many of our friends still have kids there and I live on the same street as the school. It certainly looks in great condition.

We moved both our kids when they got to Year 5 to St Leonards and could not be happier. Its a private school so we are paying a rather large amount but we also feel that it is justified. The kids are both delighted and really settled. I can't speak highly enough of it. Before moving them to St Leonards we also looked at Firbank, Haileybury and Mentone. St Leonards has a reputation for being slightly more focussed on art/drama with sport not compulsory at the weekend.

You'll find that almost all the primary schools in Bayside are on a par. I've heard very good things about Black Rock, Sandringham and Sandringham East - we have friends who have kids at these schools. Bayside suburbs are some of the more affluent areas in Melbourne. I believe the schools reflect this. I haven't heard anything bad about any of them.

Education here is certainly different and IMHO it is not as good or formal as it was in the UK. We felt that the local primary schools were fine for the first few years but at Year 5 (age 10/11) we felt it appropriate to move them private.

I hope this helps. Feel free to PM if you want any more info.

Good luck
Col
Old Sep 28th 2013, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

I know through a friend that Black Rock Primary is full for Prep nxt year. There is a big difference in the amt of homework done/given between private and state schools and sometimes this difference is a problem when the child starts secondary school (be it state or private)