Prickly Heat

Old Aug 5th 2004, 11:00 am
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough
Default Prickly Heat

Whenever I go abroad to anywhere hot I always seem to get what I term "Prickly Heat" (I come up in a rash and it's really itchey) probably partly because I'm fair skinned and unacustomed to lots of hot whether. My son of 20 months is also fair skinned like me and will likely suffer the same.

Has anybody moved to Oz who suffered from this back in England when they went abroad? When abroad I normally get some cream and after a few days it dies down, is this what other expats have done? Will I become acustomed to the heat in Oz? and if so will it be a quick customization or fairly long and irratable? I'm more concerned for my son as he won't really appreciate the cause of the problem and it will cause us problems and headaces if he's in some uncomfort when we get over there.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Aug 5th 2004, 11:09 am
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Prickly Heat

Originally posted by elksa
Whenever I go abroad to anywhere hot I always seem to get what I term "Prickly Heat" (I come up in a rash and it's really itchey) probably partly because I'm fair skinned and unacustomed to lots of hot whether. My son of 20 months is also fair skinned like me and will likely suffer the same.

Has anybody moved to Oz who suffered from this back in England when they went abroad? When abroad I normally get some cream and after a few days it dies down, is this what other expats have done? Will I become acustomed to the heat in Oz? and if so will it be a quick customization or fairly long and irratable? I'm more concerned for my son as he won't really appreciate the cause of the problem and it will cause us problems and headaces if he's in some uncomfort when we get over there.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/en.asp?TopicID=370
Old Aug 5th 2004, 11:11 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Heat Rashes and Prickly Heat

Sweat glands been exercised lately?
Old Aug 5th 2004, 11:18 am
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by NedKelly63
http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/en.asp?TopicID=370
Thanks for that NedKelly63 had a read through definely pertains to the problem that I have.

Unfortunatly doesn't provide any person experiences of the condition and long term solutions. Did anybody suffer from this problem in England? If I'm living in Oz permanently will I always suffer from this or will my sweat glands aclimatise.

I'm not overweight, but I do sweat a lot, maybe I should swap my skin tight lycra cycle shorts for some more practical shorts when we move!!!!
Old Aug 5th 2004, 12:06 pm
jjj
Forum Regular

jjj is on a distinguished road
Default prickly heat

Can't offer any advice just that I lived in South Africa for 21 years and never suffered then in the last 6 years I have been to Greece 4 times and only suffered the 2nd time

fingers crossed yu may be ok in OZ - might be something to do with a different heat (only guessing now)
Old Aug 5th 2004, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

I too suffered with prickly heat when going abroad on holiday, but have been here in Perth area for 10 months now and never had it.

I am sure that if you do, there will be something you can get from the chemist, as they are very good here.

Whisky
Old Aug 5th 2004, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Ozscarlet is an unknown quantity at this point

I (Mrsozscarlet) have only suffered from prickly heat once, three years ago on holiday in Thassos. It was absolutely horrible. I couldn't sleep and was scratching so much it was painful....I covered myself in cold wet towels in bed but nothing worked - I barely slept for a week.

I had lots of advice at the time which included taking cold showers before bedtime and, as you have tried, creams but the only thing that sorted it was airconditioning in the apartment on the second week! Maybe keeping your body temp down as much as possible whilst you get used to the climate will help.

Good luck.
Old Aug 5th 2004, 1:48 pm
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Originally posted by elksa
Thanks for that NedKelly63 had a read through definely pertains to the problem that I have.

Unfortunatly doesn't provide any person experiences of the condition and long term solutions. Did anybody suffer from this problem in England? If I'm living in Oz permanently will I always suffer from this or will my sweat glands aclimatise.

I'm not overweight, but I do sweat a lot, maybe I should swap my skin tight lycra cycle shorts for some more practical shorts when we move!!!!
Practical isn't as sexy...
Old Aug 5th 2004, 2:24 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Wash your back regularly with antiseptic soap.
Old Aug 5th 2004, 6:59 pm
Graceyg

graceyg is an unknown quantity at this point

I suffer from it everytime it's hot! NIGHTMARE! I was told it isn't always the heat, could also be cheap suncreams, or even the stuff they put in swimming pools (don't know how true these are).

I have found that taking anti histamine tablets (sorry can't spell) really do work. You can get Piriton medicine which kids can take from the age of one if your child suffers? but check i've only seen an ad on tv, never used it on my children.

Also for yourself, there is a product called P20, it lets you tan without burning, I bought it one year as I always burn (fair skin too) and guess what...................no prickly heat rash, i have told everyone to buy it its fab! Will be taking plenty with me in four weeks time.

Another thing, go on the sunbed for good few weeks before you go, I also find this works.

Hope this helps, and yes I think you will get used to it, well I hope so anyway!

Grace
Old Aug 5th 2004, 7:05 pm
Don
Banned

Originally posted by graceyg
I was told it isn't always the heat, could also be cheap suncreams, or even the stuff they put in swimming pools (don't know how true these are).Grace
It's dirt, ie your salty sweat getting trapped behind dead cells and irritating the living skin cells.

Use a loofah.
Old Aug 5th 2004, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Teddybex is an unknown quantity at this point

Also for yourself, there is a product called P20, it lets you tan without burning, I bought it one year as I always burn (fair skin too) and guess what...................no prickly heat rash, i have told everyone to buy it its fab! Will be taking plenty with me in four weeks time.
Grace
Hi Grace. Where can you get P20 from please? I'm fair skinned too and have also suffered from prickly heat a couple of times.

Thanks
Beccy
Old Aug 5th 2004, 7:59 pm
Graceyg

graceyg is an unknown quantity at this point

you can get P20 from Superdrug and boots I think, also chemists. Let me know if you have any trouble getting it I will be getting some soon and I will let you know where from, it's brilliant stuff!

It's about 10.00 for a tiny bottle though but worth every penny!
Old Aug 5th 2004, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Teddybex is an unknown quantity at this point

you can get P20 from Superdrug and boots I think, also chemists. Let me know if you have any trouble getting it I will be getting some soon and I will let you know where from, it's brilliant stuff!

It's about 10.00 for a tiny bottle though but worth every penny!

Thanks, it sounds great! I'll let you know if I can't find any.
Old Aug 5th 2004, 9:25 pm
Don
Banned

Originally posted by Teddybex
Thanks, it sounds great! I'll let you know if I can't find any.
Good old scrub 3 times a day with a non-scented soap and copious amounts of water should do the trick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.