Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Price Of Spectacles In Oz?

Price Of Spectacles In Oz?

Old Jul 11th 2006, 7:12 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Price Of Spectacles In Oz?

Hi all.

Can anyone tell me how much (approx) I can expect to pay for a designer pair of glasses in or around Brisbane? I am looking at a pair here which will be about £280-£300 with lenses.

What choice do they have?

Cheers.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

Location: lived in halesworth in suffolk, now on the sunny coast qld
debreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to all
Default Re: Price Of Spectacles In Oz?

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Hi all.

Can anyone tell me how much (approx) I can expect to pay for a designer pair of glasses in or around Brisbane? I am looking at a pair here which will be about £280-£300 with lenses.

Cheers.
i just paid $550 for a pair , dont know if they are designer "Wayne coopers" i just liked them but didnt know they would be that much , last pair i bought in UK were the cheapest poss as only reading glasses at about 50 quid , i liked these ones then dare not say no , must get more assertive . !! this was in Mooloolaba .
debs x
Old Jul 11th 2006, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Hi all.

Cheers.
I payed (6 months ago) $397 for a pair of half rimmed Diesel single vision react - a - light lenses , If i bought again I would buy plain lenes as when they turn to sunnies when you walk outside they are not good enough for summer but fine for this time of year also because most car windows are polarized they don't change in the car . The react-a-light lenes were around a extra $75 ( I think )
Old Jul 11th 2006, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I've mentioned this site - VERY CHEAP GLASSES several times.

I promise that I have nothing whatsoever to do with it, and that I don't know who the owners etc are.

I was recently on opthalmology placement (eyes dr) - the consultant recommended the site - he doesn't know them either.

Anyway, one of my mates got a fab pair of glasses, and including the colour change option, cost her approx 17 quid. ($US29).
Old Jul 11th 2006, 8:18 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

I just got some prescription sunnies - designer jobbies apparently - for $420. My last specs in the UK were some normal ones and some sunnies for about 150 quid.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I've mentioned this site - VERY CHEAP GLASSES several times.

I promise that I have nothing whatsoever to do with it, and that I don't know who the owners etc are.

I was recently on opthalmology placement (eyes dr) - the consultant recommended the site - he doesn't know them either.

Anyway, one of my mates got a fab pair of glasses, and including the colour change option, cost her approx 17 quid. ($US29).
I know all you have to do is ask, But has anyone in Aussie managed to buy a pair of prescription glasses, and most importantly get the "correct" prescription details of off their optometrist ?

That URL could save me at least 400 bucks !!!!! per pair.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 10:37 am
Just Joined

POMPEYUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Paid $350 for my pair. Had a thorough free eyetest. I broke my last pair so it was a bit annoying having to replace them but prices were comparable to UK I think. Had to show my medicare card for the free eyetest. I guess they claim to get the fees back. The reciprocal medicare card seemed ok to cover the eye test.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I know all you have to do is ask, But has anyone in Aussie managed to buy a pair of prescription glasses, and most importantly get the "correct" prescription details of off their optometrist ?
You are legally entitled to receive a copy of your spectacle prescription from the examining optom on completion of the eye examination.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

ginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/

I used this company in the U.K. I am not sure whether thay would ship to Oz or whether you would be able to have someone sent them out to Oz for you but I paid £15 (I am short sighted) including postage they are just like a diesel pair I have and absolutely brilliant. I am happy to wear them anywhere.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 2:40 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by POMPEYUK
Paid $350 for my pair. Had a thorough free eyetest. I broke my last pair so it was a bit annoying having to replace them but prices were comparable to UK I think. Had to show my medicare card for the free eyetest. I guess they claim to get the fees back. The reciprocal medicare card seemed ok to cover the eye test.
There's also this place:

www.spex4less.com

They deliver internationally, and carry a range of designer frames too.

Just send them your prescription (must be less than 2 years old) and they will send back some glasses. Also, they will re-glaze existing frames, which many internet places won't do.

S