Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Price of goods in Aus

Price of goods in Aus

Old Oct 30th 2003, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Price of goods in Aus

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, will be to find the price of the 5 goods below, state where you bought it and the price. We can then see where the cheapest shops are and in what state. (Aus only!)
Thankyou....
4 rolls of cheap white loo paper
6 free range eggs (medium size)
500g tub of sunflower margarine
1.5kg bag of white plain flour
500ml bottle of pantene

Plus this essential
400g jar of chocolate spread

Other goods if you can...
All-in-one contact lense solution
Price of number one CD (album)
any other ideas?
Thankyou!
Larissa
Old Oct 30th 2003, 8:35 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Price of goods in Aus

Originally posted by Larissa
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, will be to find the price of the 5 goods below, state where you bought it and the price. We can then see where the cheapest shops are and in what state. (Aus only!)
Thankyou....
500ml bottle of pantene

Plus this essential

any other ideas?
Thankyou!
Larissa
Slab of beer One thats available nationally....not sure which are?
Old Oct 30th 2003, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Larissa
Thankyou....
500ml bottle of pantene

Plus this essential

any other ideas?
Thankyou!

Here's a start Larissa.

PUREX Bog roll 9 pack advertised in KMART $3.98
Old Oct 30th 2003, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Larissa

My friend in Perth paid about $7 for a bottle of pantene and i think it was shampoo/conditioner.

footie chick
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 1:58 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Larissa
Thankyou....
500ml bottle of pantene

Plus this essential

any other ideas?
Thankyou!
Larissa
Hi Larissa,

Well of course, I forgot to take your list with me when I went shopping this morning, didnt I , but I remembered most of the things on it, so here we go. These are the cheapest at Coles Wynnum West in Qld. I will qualify the brands as well so you can have an idea of quality, generally savings brand is the cheapest generic brand, Farmland is the next step up, but still a store brand (see tennis oz & dottys comments about them being the same as more expensive brands, they are simply labelled differently) & from there up its just really a matter of choice.

4 rolls of cheap white loo paper - the cheapest was $1.63 for savings 1ply toilet roll, but considering I dont think anyone is ever likely to buy that LOL, the next cheapest was Quilton (similar quality to Andrex, thats the one with the puppys isnt it?) 3 ply, 4 pack for $2
6 free range eggs (medium size)- they only had XL size in the eggs, Free range 6 pack was $2.69.
500g tub of sunflower margarine - easy .... Eta 5 Star, on special for $1.
1.5kg bag of white plain flour - this one I forgot, but regardless, flour here usually comes in 1kg or 2 kg bags, will check next time
500ml bottle of pantene - Similarly Pantene bottles of shampoo & conditioner here are 400ml, they have recently changed the packaging, cant remember what they were before. Anyway, 400ml, any type $5.98

Plus this essential
400g jar of chocolate spread - Farmland Choc-Hazelnut spread 400g $2.71

As for the rest, will ask Dagboy about the lens cleaner, but doubt if he will remember, he doesnt like the all in one anyway, but I think last time I bought some it was around $10.
Top 20 CD - $20.83 last week in Kmart

Also checked for certain on a couple of things from Donnas list in Perth that she gave & came up with these comparisons

Donna - Lg tin soup $3.49
Me - 820ml Heinz soup $2.73 (thats alotta soup!! )

Donna - 4 bars soap(one of the cheapest) $3.14
Me - 5pack Persona soap $1.69, 5 pack CountryLife $1.84 & 4 pack Palmolive $1.98. So my cheapest soap was almost half the price and there was an extra cake! (bars of soap over here all seem to be the same size - 100g)

Donna - Barnlaid eggs pack 6 $2.66
Me - Barnlaid eggs pack 6 XL $2.40
I stand corrected on the standard dozen eggs, they have gone up since I last bought some, now $2.43/doz, not $1.99 anymore.

PeteY, Branston Pickle $3.73 at Coles Wynnum West, bought some today .

Anyone else do a comparison or am I the only sad freak who is interested in this sort of thing? LOL
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

surely all these things cost 'next to nothing'. My wife comes in almost every day with shopping from somewhere or other and without fail states the whole lot cost 'next to nothing'.

I can comment on beer...VB 1 slab $27.99
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

Andiii is an unknown quantity at this point

Melbourne.

CDs:

HMV - $29.95
Kmart - $24.05
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 2:42 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Home brand flour is 95 cents a kilo (or 92 cents) I bought some this weekend. it was under a $1

free range eggs.. these go up and down all the time (I always buy free range) some weeks they are 4.89 (something like that) others they are nearer the $6 mark ( a dozen) ... I can't keep up with that price it alters every week.

Bog roll ... pack of 16 .. $7 dollars something.. wondersoft I think they are called. To be honest I never notice the names .. I wizz around the shop.. chucking things in the trolley... I hate shopping!

Woolworths I normally shop at.

Shampoo .. can't say what the price of pantene is .. but it's normally the dearest one on the shelf. I usually buy VO5 , and anything that takes my fancy.. I don't tend to stick to one brand.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was interested in the prices quoted by Mrs Dagboy and others comparing what they pay to what Donna was paying here in Perth on the last post.

Now as a typical male I just want to go in one shop bung the stuff in a basket and go home in quickest time possible.

But after that post, I started looking at prices comparing stuff from Coles to Supa valu which is like our local Spar shop. I could not believe that Supa Valu on some things were $$s cheaper. Guess you just get spoilt in UK where the main Stores are usually withing a few pence of each other.

So these posts do have a use, the downside is I now get dragged kicking and screaming to more than one bloody shop.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Supa Value does seem cheaper than Coles but I still tend to go to Coles cos it has the bakery with the cheap bread for $1.50 next to it and the butchers with the chicken bits. I shall have to do a full Supa Value shop to compare one week.

Eggs at Supa Value are about $1.90 I think for 6. Coles are $2.29 for the small ones

Di
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Supa Value does seem cheaper than Coles but I still tend to go to Coles cos it has the bakery with the cheap bread for $1.50 next to it and the butchers with the chicken bits. I shall have to do a full Supa Value shop to compare one week.
We do main shop at Coles and then have to get other bits from Supa Valu and before you know it I will be frequenting every damn store in Perth. When I lived on my own 7 tins of Irish Stew was the weeks shopping. !! Happy days
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

LOL - you sound like my hubby before I tamed him. Jacket spuds, pizza and beans every bloody day.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 5:54 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Chris, Im flabberghasted that things can be so different even within the same chain! Let alone comparing different stores. LOL

Ohh btw, those CDs in Kmart were the Top 30 album cds, $20.82, $24.74 if they were double albums, I checked this afternoon after I picked up the kids from school.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 7:48 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
PeteY, Branston Pickle $3.73 at Coles Wynnum West, bought some today .
Marrrrvelous!!

Actually.....while we are on the subject of shopping.....

Somthing that really p*ssed me off out there (because im sad), was the fact that they will happily price somthing as say, 98 cents. WHY oh WHY not just charge 95c, or a dollar!! If i get charged 98 cents, i want my 2 cents change dammit!!! Wife just told me to open a beer,sit in the corner and be quiet
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

i know you never mentioned fuel but this is a funny one. we drove from sydney and needed to fill up in port macquarie, unleaded petrol was 98c per litre. we thought this was cheap.
then next fill up was in terranora and was 85c per litre we thought this was good!
then we were told about filling up on certain days of the week. it is most expensive on a thursday when everyone gets paid and becomes cheaper by the day and is best price on a wednesday. now we are wise to it we even use the big w discount of 4c per litre (when you spend more than $30 in the shop) and get fuel at 71c (after discount) per litre!!!!
karen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.