Reload this Page >

The Price of Food in Australia

Wikiposts

Old Jan 19th 2005, 5:41 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: The Price of Food in Australia

Originally Posted by andrew63
Nothing to do with food but FYI, the medical industry I am in that has been around since Flemming invented Penicillin is worth an estimated US$23bn.
Ring tone business that have been around for just about 5 years now are estimated to be worth over US$75bn.
Useless fact but shows clearly I am in the wrong profession!

Andrew
It just goes to show where peoples priorities really are and we worry about saving 25c on the price of a lettuce

Old Jan 19th 2005, 6:26 pm
ABCDiamond

www.greengrocer.com.au just got mentioned in another thread, so thought I'd add a bit about in here. www.greengrocer.com.au is owned by Woolworths and is their Online shopping venture.

Prices may be close on some things, but I just checked these, as I also checked the actual shop price earlier today

Milk - Fresh - Whole - Woolworths - 2L $2.61 - but $1.99 in the shop
Laundry Powder - Concentrated - Omo - 1kg $6.28 - but $5.54 in the shop
Toothpaste - Colgate - 140g $2.63 - but $2.38 in the shop
Woolworths Eggs 12pk $3.12 - but $2 in the shop
Baked Beans - in Tomato Sauce - Heinz - 420G $0.92 - but 88c in the shop

For those items, that's 21% higher than the normal shop price. But it's still a good way to check out prices over here. Then at least you won't get any surprises, but should be paying less than budgeted.

I just realised, those were SYDNEY prices, mine are Brisbane area prices, so not sure how they compare to Sydney shop prices.

Old Jan 19th 2005, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Saw this thread and as I did *some* of our grocery shopping today, I thought I'd add to the list:-

Purchased at Woolworths, Cairns....

Homebrand Icecream-$2.19
Birdseye kids frozen fish portions-$4.98
Birdeyes frozen peas 500g-$1.74
Bacon 175g-$3.18
McCain frozen fries-$1KG-$2.28
Go Gurt kids yogurt8x70g-$3.79
Kleenex bum paper 4 pack-$2.93
Batteries pack 4AAA-$8.48
Batteries pack 4AA-$7.48
Palmolive shower milk250ml-$2.99
Johnson kids shampoo blueberry300ml-$3.89
Johnson kids shampoo strawberry300ml-$3.89
Own brand wash-up-liq500ml-$0.89
Palmolive shampoo400ml-$4.49
Nelum soap 100g-$1.25
Milk 2L-$1.99
Milk 2L-$1.99
Kelloggs crispix cereal 590G-$5.54
Homebrand apple juice 2L-$1.88
Brown vinegar 1L-$0.89
Fountain Tomato sauce 2LT-$3.98
Homebrand orange juice 2L-$1.88
Golden circle pineapple juice 2L-$2.99
Smiths crisps (chips) 20pack 400G-$5.97
Rump steak 392KG-$5.88
Half leg lamb 870KG-$8.69
Mince beef 504KG-$3.98
Mince lamb 508KG-$4.37
Kangaroo steak-$4.57
Eggs 6PK 300G-$2.16
Lil franks 400G-$3.94
Don ham 100G-$2.00
Aero choc mousse 2x62G-$2.29
Flora spread 500G-$1.98
Olive oil 500ML-$2.99
Oreo biscuits 160G-$1.88
Fettucine 500G-$1.85
Tinned peaches-$1.34
Tuna tinned in spring water 95G-$1.00
Leggos Tomato paste 250G-$2.03
Lettuce iceberg-$0.88 (!!!!)
Celery half-$1.09
Brown onion 0.603KG-$1.80
Green capsicum 0.323KG-$1.29
Cauliflower each-$3.98 (!!!!)
Tomatoes Roma 0.142KG-$0.57
Broccoli medium 0.392KG-$2.15
Flat mushrooms 0.350KG-$1.40
Coliban potatoes 1.138KG-$3.39
Bananas 0.548KG-$1.47
Granny smiths apples 0.248KG-$1.48
Nectarines size 25 0.528KG-$2.63
Brussel sprouts 0.352KG-$3.86
Mighty soft wholemeal loaf 700G-$2.99
Sunbeam apples and sultanas 6PK-$2.29
HP Sauce-$2.14 (!!!)
Tip top sultana bread 520G-$2.58

Total:- $164.56

Admittedly, there are batteries, shampoo, shower gel, washing up liq, soap etc on there which you perhaps shoulden't 'count in' with the food items....BUT.....

on my Bill today * because it's the holidays and I had two ankle biters with me...distracting me all the way.... * I omitted to buy all the other things which I should have made a list for-

Washing powder ( clothes )
Dish washer powder
Fresh herbs
Flour ( plain and SR )
'Real' butter
Diet cola
Cheeses
Suet mix
Raw sugar
Paprika
Tumeric

and probably another 10 items I haven't listed for tomorrow yet....PLUS my weekend trip to the fishmonger for tuna steaks, salmon and a few prawns.....

All up, probably add another $90 easy.... so maybe $250 weekly....

Just to add to the debate, this is a 'normal' week for us, two adults, two kids ( aged 6 and 4 ) we are not bloaters, we eat healthily and well...

I prepare most of our home cooked meals from scratch, as I enjoy cooking for the family ( aside from the obligatory friday night frozen fish/fries etc for the kids...!!!).

Food in Australia is not cheaper than the UK, more on a par in price, although I will argue that it *IS* better quality.

I don't begrudge paying for it but I am aware that I would also probably save quite a bit by shopping around, going to the market for my fruit and veg but this isn't always practical when it's the school holidays and you have two kids under 6 in tow.....

Sorry to be a shopping bore..but this is reality....
Old Jan 20th 2005, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

JerrySpringer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aussiepeter
This topic is very interesting but really is missing half the point.
Its ok to say Fish is cheaper in Australia and Baked beans are cheaper in the UK but really its whats left in your pocket to spend on food that counts.
If you are a bank teller how much do you EARN in the UK
and how much do you earn in Australia a week?
I find the food so much fresher in Australia and a few years ago was out of work and would eat well if i stayed away from take aways.
Local butcher does large savory minced beef meat balls for hamburgers 5 for $2.50.
With a few potatoes two veg we had a great meal{not fancy but filling} for $ 7.00 for two.
Infact we still have this meal as it is really tasty.
yeah, but the other half of the point that you're missing is QUALITY. It's all very well saying person A can buy 4 tins of beans for $1.20 in Brisbane and person B can buy 4 tins of beans for £1.20 in Bournemouth but are they both buying Heinz? Or is one buying home brand? etc etc.

Your $7 meal - what grade of mince is that? 40% fat or 5% fat - one will be twice the price of the other.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

Japan was importing Aussie beef when I lived there in the late 1980s.

Queenie

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
No, the Japanese are actually importing Aussie beef, because its the only beef they trust now. Canada and US have BSE to a tiny extent,but you know how hysteria works.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Jan 20th 2005, 8:11 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by queenie
Japan was importing Aussie beef when I lived there in the late 1980s.

Queenie
l saw a story on the news where Japs in the supermarkets over there were refusing to buy any beef that was'nt from Australia. They said that Aussie beef was the best quality and the only beef they trust to be disease free.

Old Jan 20th 2005, 8:27 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
l saw a story on the news where Japs in the supermarkets over there were refusing to buy any beef that was'nt from Australia. They said that Aussie beef was the best quality and the only beef they trust to be disease free.
In no way is Aussie beef a patch on the NZ stuff. Take a look at what the stock eat. In Australia they've been eating dry coarse grass for the last few yrs padded out with bought in feed, there has been such a prolonged drought that livestock was just dying in the barren fields last year. Now compare that herd to one grazed on prime lush green NZ pasture grass and there's no comparrison.
Don't take my word for it, your own govt. dept gives figures for the amount of acres required per head and one beef cow can require 20 acres of your poor grade grass compared to 6 cows per acre on the NZ pasture.
Aussie beef the best no way! but the bullshit is top of the league
Old Jan 20th 2005, 8:36 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cresta57
In no way is Aussie beef a patch on the NZ stuff. Take a look at what the stock eat. In Australia they've been eating dry coarse grass for the last few yrs padded out with bought in feed, there has been such a prolonged drought that livestock was just dying in the barren fields last year. Now compare that herd to one grazed on prime lush green NZ pasture grass and there's no comparrison.
Don't take my word for it, your own govt. dept gives figures for the amount of acres required per head and one beef cow can require 20 acres of your poor grade grass compared to 6 cows per acre on the NZ pasture.
Ah, but Aussie cows walk for a living so you don't have to. Not that the Nipponese care - they prefer lazy, over fed, fat cows.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

There have been a few threads on the cost of living recently, and some comparisons of weekly food bills; ranging from $100pw to almost $500pw

Obviously there are some differences, size of family, individual appetites, choice of shops, and even availability of shops etc.

Those of us here in Australia, and those that have been here but have gone back, can all give their own individual ideas of costs based on their own individual experiences.

If we start with breakfast: 2 weet-bix and a bit of milk, may be OK for some people, but others may want that PLUS a couple of eggs and a sausage, and of course a coffee or two, plus orange juice.

Lunch: someone may be happy with a couple of Cheese rolls with tomato, whilst someone else fancies a roast chicken and salad wrap.

Dinner: Maybe a 500gm steak with chips and peas, or Spagetti Bolognese, or Butter Chicken Curry, or a lobster with salad.

It is all going to be different, and at different prices.

I've heard it said that the family who spends only $100 can't be eating right, and for the family who spends 3 times that must be overeating. Neither comment may actually be accurate.

I can go to our local shops, and buy exactly the same things, in different shops, yet pay almost TWICE the price in one than the other, if I pick the wrong shop.

If anyone in the UK really wants to know the weekly cost, maybe they can post a breakdown of an example weekly food consumption list, and some others can state what some of those items actually cost.

Eg: Breakfast for the first example: Weet-Bix: box of 84 biscuits for $4.98 = 12c per 2 biscuit serve, add 100ml of milk at $1.90 per 2 litres thats another 10c. So that breakfast is 22c. But stick a couple of sausages (75c) at $3 for a pack 8 (1kg), and 2 eggs (33c) at $2 for 12, then breakfast becomes $1.30, not 22c.

Dinner: say Chicken and Chips: 1 Whole ready roasted chicken, who wants to use the oven in summer $8, and 1 kgs potatos to make some chips at between 50c and $3 per kg, say $1.50. So this dinner would cost $9.50 for a family of 3 or 4. Say $3 each. I'm sure someone could come up with an average Dinner costing $6 per head or more, without much trying.

That's how easy it is to get a major difference between avergae weekly costs. And that's without the differences between shop prices.

Just some food for thought

Great thread - thanks so much for this, it really helps

Kari
Old Apr 1st 2005, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Here is one person that has overlooked King island

I think the whole thread confirms, that the gap has indeed narrowed considerably, Abcd, Steak at Coles this week, and I'm talking about Premium Rump not Budget, is around 19.00 bucks per Kilo. At the Butchers about 16 bucks. I personally dont Have time to run around to different shops, neither does the wife. So, whilst at the supermarket, we either buy premium grade with a discount sticker on it, or move onto something else.

Try buying King Island steak, for less than 20 bucks per kilo !! Only way to do that is in a Cyrovac, with a whole rump.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Here is one person that has overlooked King island

I think the whole thread confirms, that the gap has indeed narrowed considerably, Abcd, Steak at Coles this week, and I'm talking about Premium Rump not Budget, is around 19.00 bucks per Kilo. At the Butchers about 16 bucks. I personally dont Have time to run around to different shops, neither does the wife. So, whilst at the supermarket, we either buy premium grade with a discount sticker on it, or move onto something else.

Try buying King Island steak, for less than 20 bucks per kilo !! Only way to do that is in a Cyrovac, with a whole rump.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 3:24 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Steak at Coles this week, and I'm talking about Premium Rump not Budget, is around 19.00 bucks per Kilo. <......> we either buy premium grade with a discount sticker on it, or move onto something else.
This week is the week for Roast Beef then Prime Topside Roast at Coles for $6.97 Kg

I noticed the prices of some pre-pack food, 375gm Tikka Masala, or Rogan Josh with Pilau Rice for $3.49 each, wondered how that compares back to the UK these days ?

Old Apr 1st 2005, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
This week is the week for Roast Beef then Prime Topside Roast at Coles for $6.97 Kg

I noticed the prices of some pre-pack food, 375gm Tikka Masala, or Rogan Josh with Pilau Rice for $3.49 each, wondered how that compares back to the UK these days ?
Depending on quality anywhere from £2 to £4, but most are £2.99. Not that I eat a lot of them , honest