Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The price of eggs in China (or the price of groceries in different states).

Wikiposts

The price of eggs in China (or the price of groceries in different states).

Old Oct 29th 2003, 9:59 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Good idea Larissa & tina, I'll make up a list for comparison purposes
Old Oct 29th 2003, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
last year I tried doing my bit for the health of my kids and for severalweeks had an organic fruit/veg box delivered;
2kg spuds
500g brocoli
1 small cauli
1 small cabbage
400g runner beans
4 leeks
1kg carrots
1 kg apples
1kg bananas
1kg oranges

cost £22 incl delivery.
The quality was crap, and each week I chucked out more than we ate. also tried an organic shop near where I work and same again - poor quality for a lot of money!!
And...sit down WBB...the bananas were rotten!!
gone back to shiny lights of asda...! nanas about 89p/kg I think at the moment...

sue
All fruit and veg look lovely when they've been sprayed with chemicals. They'll last 4 times as long too when covered in preservatives. Peppers and tomatoes look glorious with growth hormones on them compared to their tiny, malformed organic equivalents. (I know this first hand as my sister is a Sunraysia fruit grower). The chemicals they use to spray peppers are so toxic that the sprayers have to wear protective clothing and face masks.

Organic products are never going to look as good or last as long because of the fact they are organic, and not covered in loads of chemicals.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 12:04 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

I find that cat food is a bit more expensive here. My cats will only eat Whiskers which I bought yesterday for $1.16 (about 48-50p) This may be about the same in the UK, as with a lot of the food prices but what a lot of people seem to be forgetting is that the wages don't compare to the UK.

Also in the Uk you have a massive variety of stores to shop at, if you have less to spend/on a budget you could shop at Aldi or Lidal, then there are Asda and Sainsburys, Tesco and for a more upmarket shop... Marks and Spencers.

For toiletries you can go to Wilkinsons, Mackro, Tradex or Mattalan.

Here there are only the supermarkets, and W.A Savage if you want really cheap, they sell shampoo that has been imported from the UK, but I've never seen the brands they sell, in the UK!!

I also use to use a 'fast' drying roll on deoderant (Sure) back in the UK (I can't use sprays I'am allergic!) but I can't seem to get any 'fast' drying stuff here at all. Does anyone know of one? Rexona is the other name for Sure here, but they don't do it? At the moment I'am using Nivea dry roll on and it cost about $5 !

Old Oct 29th 2003, 12:17 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by janeyray
I find that cat food is a bit more expensive here. My cats will only eat Whiskers which I bought yesterday for $1.16 (about 48-50p) This may be about the same in the UK, as with a lot of the food prices but what a lot of people seem to be forgetting is that the wages don't compare to the UK.

Also in the Uk you have a massive variety of stores to shop at, if you have less to spend/on a budget you could shop at Aldi or Lidal, then there are Asda and Sainsburys, Tesco and for a more upmarket shop... Marks and Spencers.

For toiletries you can go to Wilkinsons, Mackro, Tradex or Mattalan.

Here there are only the supermarkets, and W.A Savage if you want really cheap, they sell shampoo that has been imported from the UK, but I've never seen the brands they sell, in the UK!!

I also use to use a 'fast' drying roll on deoderant (Sure) back in the UK (I can't use sprays I'am allergic!) but I can't seem to get any 'fast' drying stuff here at all. Does anyone know of one? Rexona is the other name for Sure here, but they don't do it? At the moment I'am using Nivea dry roll on and it cost about $5 !

When we came over I brought a stock of toiletry items such as toothpaste, deodorant, clenaser, face cream etc. I was surprised at how expensive these items were here.

I only have a few weeks supply left and I will too have to start working out what are the best buys. At the moment I am struggling with conditoner, I was lucky to get some oears conditioner on sale at woollies when we arived for 99c but I am opposed to paying $5-6 for some, I have seen some brands for a couple of bucks but don't know if they are effective, this week after I dried my hair I used some hand cream and then rubbed the excessin my hair, and it seems to have worked fine.

Am I going mad:scared:
Old Oct 29th 2003, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

What about one of them soap making gadgets that sticks all your yucky bits of soap together into a lovely multi coloured new bar!!

:scared:
Old Oct 29th 2003, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jirrupin
When we came over I brought a stock of toiletry items such as toothpaste, deodorant, clenaser, face cream etc. I was surprised at how expensive these items were here.

I only have a few weeks supply left and I will too have to start working out what are the best buys. At the moment I am struggling with conditoner, I was lucky to get some oears conditioner on sale at woollies when we arived for 99c but I am opposed to paying $5-6 for some, I have seen some brands for a couple of bucks but don't know if they are effective, this week after I dried my hair I used some hand cream and then rubbed the excessin my hair, and it seems to have worked fine.

Am I going mad:scared:

Do you have 'Priceline' chemists in WA? I find they are good value and they do '3 for the price of 2' like Boots.
Revlon hair products seem well priced in Oz - conditioner is about $3.50 at Priceline. Pantene I think is a good price too.
Some of the stuff I used to use in the UK is horrendously priced here - $18 for a bottle of 'Sheer Blonde' shampoo (needless to say I now use Pantene or Clairol!!)
Old Oct 29th 2003, 12:31 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Do you have 'Priceline' chemists in WA? I find they are good value and they do '3 for the price of 2' like Boots.
Revlon hair products seem well priced in Oz - conditioner is about $3.50 at Priceline. Pantene I think is a good price too.
Some of the stuff I used to use in the UK is horrendously priced here - $18 for a bottle of 'Sheer Blonde' shampoo (needless to say I now use Pantene or Clairol!!)
Yes I think we do have priceline I have seen them advertised on TV, i will look out for them, it does seem like some things are more pricey in WA, and we are thinking of moving south so it will be even more pricey.

Its about finding products that suit you and your budget, we have done the grocery thing now, it used to takeme ages to shop trying to work out the different brands and prices, I have avoided the toiletry section of the store because the prices were scarey.

The stores do have deals on too and when things are reduced i.e soap, loo paper etc I but several lots and you can make good savings this way.

Just call me Ms. Thrifty
Old Oct 29th 2003, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

<sighing>

I miss Boots
Old Oct 29th 2003, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, I've just found the receipt from our grocery shopping on Saturday. This was at Bi-Lo in Kensington, SA.

Veal Schnitzel $4.08 (3 pieces, crumbed)
McCains Combo Mixed Veg 500g $1.97
BI-Lo Crumbed Ovenbake Fish Fillets 14 $7.69
Bi-Lo Puff Pastry 1kg $2.79 (flat sheets)
Bi-Lo Milk Lite 2L $2.52
Old El Paso Enchilada kit $4.64
Bi-Lo Muesli 750g $1.68
Castlemaine Bacon 175g $2.88
Kraft Coon Light Cheese 500g $4.29 (you can get the same amount of Coles own brand for about $2.30)
Green Capsicum $4.95pkg, 1 came to $1.32
Helgas Bread, Classic Seed $3.41! Bought a loaf on special at Coles today for $2.40
Meds Tampons Reg (no applicator) 64 $9.73
Bananas $.97pkg, 6 or so came to $1.17
Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:03 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Yea just asked my wife and she reckons Pantene is best for your money in oz. Its what she uses over here too....
Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

lil-lisa is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I just ask what do you miss most from the UK that you can't buy abroad? It could be food , toiletries anything.
Would you consider buying things over the internet if the price was right?
Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:05 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by lil-lisa
Can I just ask what do you miss most from the UK that you can't buy abroad? It could be food , toiletries anything.
Would you consider buying things over the internet if the price was right?
MARMITE and Branston pickle. You can get them very occasionally...
Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

pabloako is an unknown quantity at this point

I have never seen Shreddies

Originally posted by PeteY
MARMITE and Branston pickle. You can get them very occasionally...
Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

lil-lisa is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the quick reply-- the reason I am asking is that we are thinking of starting a business selling stuff like this over the internet and was wondering if it would get much use. Of course we wouldnt only sell to Australia but I thought this thread was a good opportunity to help with my research-- What do you think?
Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:09 pm
A Male Member

Originally posted by lil-lisa
Thanks for the quick reply-- the reason I am asking is that we are thinking of starting a business selling stuff like this over the internet and was wondering if it would get much use. Of course we wouldnt only sell to Australia but I thought this thread was a good opportunity to help with my research-- What do you think?
There already is one im afraid....

I'll try to find the link for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.