Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The price of eggs in China (or the price of groceries in different states).

Wikiposts

The price of eggs in China (or the price of groceries in different states).

Old Oct 28th 2003, 9:53 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jirrupin
Tired with twins it is a cardinal sin to covert back to pounds
I know

just couldnt resist!!!

just out of interest, how much are...ahem...tampax etc?

sue
Old Oct 28th 2003, 9:58 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
I know

just couldnt resist!!!

sue
Try www.colesonline.com.au

You can find prices for anything you like Just click on the bit that says you want to test run the shop.

Then type in the product and it will list options and prices.

Pete.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 10:00 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

I know

just couldnt resist!!!

sue
TWTs Libra tampons, pack of 20 regular are just over $3 from memory.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 10:04 pm
WBB

Originally posted by PeteY
As long as they are'nt those daft ladies fingers jobs we had when i was in Noosa last. As you buy them by weight you end up buying more skin than banana. Give me one of the bog standard ones anyday

i do like a good banana mmmmmmm i eat at least two a day and they are expensive (ish) here, good to know they are cheaper in oz.

Old Oct 28th 2003, 10:08 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by welshboybilly
i do like a good banana mmmmmmm i eat at least two a day and they are expensive (ish) here, good to know they are cheaper in oz.
Out of interest WBB.....in S Wales, how much do you pay? They are about 80p per kilo here.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 10:09 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Try www.colesonline.com.au

You can find prices for anything you like Just click on the bit that says you want to test run the shop.

Then type in the product and it will list options and prices.

Pete.

I cant even SEE that bit Pete! LOL
Old Oct 28th 2003, 10:11 pm
WBB

i usually buy mine every second day, i would usually buy 6 at a time and pay about £1.40, sorry i dont know the price per kilo but i suppose 6 average sized bananas must weigh 1/2 a kilo???

Old Oct 28th 2003, 10:11 pm
tennisoz

http://www.coles.com.au/

Coles do online shopping...

The big chains are:

Coles
Woolworths
Bi-Lo

Sure there are others....just can't remember
Aldi have started up - NSW and Vic (well, Sydney and Melbourne) and a newspaper report said they are 40% cheaper than the rest 'like for like'. I went to one in Melbourne and was interested to compare it with their UK operation. The store was exactly the same size and same layout as our Aldi in Dumfries and Carlisle! However they had more branded products and fewer 'own label' products as well as more fresh produce. I hope Aldi open up in Perth and Brisbane. Incidentally the German brothers who started Aldi are second on the list of the wealthiest Europeans - a useful bit of information for you!

I've mentioned on another thread about supermarket own brands and how you used to be able to work out which manufacturer supplies the supermarket from the manufacturer's code on the labels eg someone said Woolworth's jam = Cottee's jam. So look at Cole's own brand (or whoever) look for the manufacturer's code (used to a letter for the state followed by numbers) and look for the same on the 'branded' products nearby.

I would finally agree with other comments that you need to compare like with like before making conclusions about relative costs of living. The banks such as Commonwealth and ANZ regularly produce cost of living indexes for the capital cities. But I don't want to spoil a good story

TennisOz

Old Oct 28th 2003, 10:13 pm
A Male Member

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
I cant even SEE that bit Pete! LOL

WHOOPS

Sorry, you have to enter your postcode, then it gives you option to test drive

If anyone does'nt know any oz postcodes.....and you want to try it, just type in 5000.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 10:23 pm
tennisoz

I know

just couldnt resist!!!

sue
They're made in Scotland you know. Jock makes them and Tam packs them

TennisOz

Old Oct 28th 2003, 10:24 pm
Rocket Scientist

Says Carefree are about $4, dunno what brand I buy (not homebrand) but Im pretty sure they are around the $3.20 mark.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 11:00 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by welshboybilly
i usually buy mine every second day, i would usually buy 6 at a time and pay about £1.40, sorry i dont know the price per kilo but i suppose 6 average sized bananas must weigh 1/2 a kilo???

last year I tried doing my bit for the health of my kids and for severalweeks had an organic fruit/veg box delivered;
2kg spuds
500g brocoli
1 small cauli
1 small cabbage
400g runner beans
4 leeks
1kg carrots
1 kg apples
1kg bananas
1kg oranges

cost £22 incl delivery.
The quality was crap, and each week I chucked out more than we ate. also tried an organic shop near where I work and same again - poor quality for a lot of money!!
And...sit down WBB...the bananas were rotten!!
gone back to shiny lights of asda...! nanas about 89p/kg I think at the moment...

sue
Old Oct 29th 2003, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

last year I tried doing my bit for the health of my kids and for severalweeks had an organic fruit/veg box delivered;
2kg spuds
500g brocoli
1 small cauli
1 small cabbage
400g runner beans
4 leeks
1kg carrots
1 kg apples
1kg bananas
1kg oranges

cost £22 incl delivery.
The quality was crap, and each week I chucked out more than we ate. also tried an organic shop near where I work and same again - poor quality for a lot of money!!
And...sit down WBB...the bananas were rotten!!
gone back to shiny lights of asda...! nanas about 89p/kg I think at the moment...

sue
Perhaps we should send you all out on a mission to compare prices on some staples plus some more luxury type goods? What d'ya think - 5 or 6 goods?
Old Oct 29th 2003, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Larissa
Perhaps we should send you all out on a mission to compare prices on some staples plus some more luxury type goods? What d'ya think - 5 or 6 goods?
Must add that my Dad was a market researcher... when I was a kid we used to go round the supermarkets checking the relative cost of soft drinks! When I go to Aus I won't have a clue where to shop!
Old Oct 29th 2003, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

This is a good thread Mrs Dagboy. It is interesting to see how prices vary from state to state. Maybe it is more expensive in Perth as many of the goods have further to travel?!

Can't wait to do my own survey maybe we should choose 5 brand named items and all go and research how much they cost in different places - yawn, I am turning into a boring Aussie already

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.