Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Price of day to day items. UK V Aus

Price of day to day items. UK V Aus

Old May 18th 2003, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road
Default Price of day to day items. UK V Aus

I've seen one or two posts about how some day to day (durable) items are much more expensive or difficult to find in Aus than the UK (e.g. Razor blades).

I'm planning a trip to the cash & carry to stock up on those items so I need to get a list together. Any suggestions from people's own experience would be welcomed

Thanks

Kev
Old May 18th 2003, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I can't say that I noticed a lot of difference in prices, if one thing is slightly more then it is balanced out by others being cheaper.

I know traditional British fayre is a lot more expensive like Marmite etc.

Surely the razor blades will be competitive, they cost a bomb over here as well!!
Old May 18th 2003, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Beach Bums is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Prices

We've found most things to be quite a bit cheaper in Australia than the UK. The one main exception being bread, although if you shop around a decent loaf can be bought for about $1.10.

Disposable razor blades are about the same cost, maybe slightly cheaper than the UK.

I guess it all depends where you shop.
Old May 18th 2003, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Prices

I agree I suppose its like anything if you shoparound there is going to be variations in prices.
Eg you can buy Bettabuy (a cheap brand) loaf of bread
for 19p or if you prefer you can buy Kingsmill for 85p!!

Does anybody know any websites for any on the supermarkets out there.
I believe that there is woollies and a Coles are these the main ones?

Diane
(
Originally posted by Beach Bums
We've found most things to be quite a bit cheaper in Australia than the UK. The one main exception being bread, although if you shop around a decent loaf can be bought for about $1.10.

Disposable razor blades are about the same cost, maybe slightly cheaper than the UK.

I guess it all depends where you shop.
Old May 18th 2003, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Teliko19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Another two supermarkets are Bestbuy and Safeway.

Think those are the main ones along with Coles.
Old May 18th 2003, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

Have a look Here to compare the price of everyday shopping.

Mike.
Old May 18th 2003, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

PADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to all

Originally posted by karawara88
I did read on a website of things you can not buy in Oz, racking my brain cell to think where.
Hi there Everyone
Is this where you mean with regards to items you can't purchase in OZ http://emigrate.hotshopping.com.au/ . It is the 9th link under the Index heading i.e. "can't get"

Cheers
Old May 18th 2003, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Price of day to day items. UK V Aus

I'm planning a trip to the cash & carry to stock up on those items so I need to get a list together. Any suggestions from people's own experience would be welcomed

Bloody hell, I've just realised I'm now going to have to buy at retail prices and not wholesale !

Any one know any good Australian wholesalers in/around Melbourne ?
Old May 18th 2003, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by dibrucewillis
I agree I suppose its like anything if you shoparound there is going to be variations in prices.
Eg you can buy Bettabuy (a cheap brand) loaf of bread
for 19p or if you prefer you can buy Kingsmill for 85p!!

I believe that there is woollies and a Coles are these the main ones?

Diane
(
-------------------------------

Hope this helps, woollies homeshop, http://www.homeshop.com.au/category.asp

Teresa
Old May 18th 2003, 7:44 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dibrucewillis

(
I like this one (but then I am biased towards anything Adelaide....)

Adelaide Square Shopping

Perry
Old May 18th 2003, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

Default Prices..............

I wouldnt bother even thinking about going to a Cash & Carry in the UK to ''stock up'' - save your money. Just to reiterate, we have found pretty much everything cheaper in Oz including (and especially) towels, sheets, razors, toothpaste, soap and food.

There are loads of shops like Crazy Clarks, Bi-Lo, The Warehouse, Big W, Bargain City, KMart etc etc in all major towns and suburbs that sell these kinds of things at much lower prices than you will be able to find in the UK.

As for fruit and veggies, supermarket prices are higher (although still cheaper than the UK) than fruit markets which are found in every shopping centre. Our grocery bill is 2/3rds what it was in the UK.

DONT PANIC!!
Old May 19th 2003, 7:47 am
Just Joined

Default karawara88

karawara88, simmer down! Yes, I did read your post and understand it!! Well, its your decision but unless you are getting AT LEAST 30-50% below retail from your ''wholesale'' cash & carry in the UK then in general its much cheaper to buy these items from normal retail outlets in Australia - the price differential is that great. And there are numerous examples I could cite of normal household consumables which are at least 60% cheaper than at UK retail outlets.

Comparing the price difference between ''normal'' UK shops to those in Oz as ''swings and roundabouts'' just doesnt ring true in our day to day experiences. Maybe you shopped at places like 7Eleven when on holiday in Australia?

And as for the quality issue, once again your suggestion is incorrect - many of the products sold at shops such as Kmart, Bilo, BigW etc are EXACTLY the same (i.e. SAME manufacturer & SAME product) as those sold at ''quality outlets'' such as David Jones, Myers, etc (including razor blades, sheets & towels which are at the very least comparable in quality to those you can buy from your local UK cash & carry!) but at a greatly reduced cost. i.e. at least 30-50% below retail prices in the UK.

All I was doing was trying to avert the panic (i.e. ''Rossi, it scared the hell out of me'' etc) your previous email could have induced. I would suggest that next time you are over in Australia try shopping around, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!
Old May 19th 2003, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: karawara88

Since I've been here I've found that nearly everything is much cheaper than in the UK. There is one notable exception - Scuba Gear ! Probably of no interest to most people, but all you divers should seriously consider making any kit upgrades before you leave the UK. European kit from the likes of Mares, Cressi etc is over double the price in Oz which I find quite weird considering it is such a big sport here.
Old May 19th 2003, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Price of day to day items. UK V Aus

I would defo advise stocking up on shampoo, make up, hair products and also childrens scripts (as they arent free here).
Rest of stuff you can probs get as cheap or cheaper here.
Woolworths, Coles, Dewsons are the main supermarkets over the west coast. It is almost more expensive to eat in than eat out. I think is probs why many Aussies are fat as HJ's, Chicken Treat, Red Rooster, McD's etc are on EVERY corner and even in restaurants you find yourself saying 'god i couldnt make it for that!'
Old May 19th 2003, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

suzanne crabtre is an unknown quantity at this point

Is this why Rolf Harris has got a beard?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.