Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pressure by wife to go back to oz

Pressure by wife to go back to oz

Old Jul 25th 2009, 4:22 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pressure by wife to go back to oz

I find electricity and gas about on par.

Rates cheaper here in oz.

Internet, and house phone cheaper in UK (internet by a mile)

Mobile phones here, you have to pay for them longer contacts and more expensive.

Clothes cheaper and far superior quality in UK.

Sporting gear cheaper in the UK.

Attending sporting events much cheaper in oz.

Pint of beer cheapest here I'd say about $6 UK cheapest £1.30 average $2.00

Double vodka and mixer probably £12-14 here UK cheapest £1.30 odd average around £2.80.

Pub meal in UK £2.99 - £8 here no cheaper than $15.

Meat still cheaper here but not by that much any more.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 7:32 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Ta. UK retailers would have to be exceptionally diligent to find worse stock than Aus clothiers.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 8:01 am
Just Joined

sandbags will become famous soon enough

Hi

Can't believe how good it's felt to put this on the forum, feels like a big weight has lifted off my shoulders...

I asked my OH if she thinks she'd get homesick for the uk again if we went back but she was adamant that she wouldn't, I don't think her being homesick for the uk was actually that big a factor in her wanting to come back, she has a family member who really knows how to pull on the old emotional heart strings / emotional blackmail baloney and she felt under a lot of pressure to come back which kind of p****** me off because if I'd known about it I'd have tried to do something about it!

My OH seems to have backed off completely about oz which is good, she hasn't mentioned it once since our conversation and now I feel like I can breathe a bit.

I've read about other pingpongpoms on the forums and I'm not sure that I'd agree that the longer you're back here the more settled you become as for a lot of people this doesn't seem to be the case, but we do need to make a decision within a time frame that is certainly a good idea.

cheers everyone, sandbags
Old Jul 26th 2009, 9:20 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

ABC News: 50 UK pubs closing every week.

Publican: "Hanging on by my finger tips. Expecting the bailiff today or tomorrow".
Old Jul 26th 2009, 10:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I find electricity and gas about on par.

Rates cheaper here in oz.

Internet, and house phone cheaper in UK (internet by a mile)

Mobile phones here, you have to pay for them longer contacts and more expensive.

Sporting gear cheaper in the UK.

Attending sporting events much cheaper in oz.

Pint of beer cheapest here I'd say about $6 UK cheapest £1.30 average $2.00

Double vodka and mixer probably £12-14 here UK cheapest £1.30 odd average around £2.80.

Meat still cheaper here but not by that much any more.
Can't argue with what you've put because it's obviously true for you but three pounds for a pub meal? Didn't see anything that cheap when I visited last year (not in my old neck of the woods). What on earth was the meal? Cheapest pub grub I could see was at least 8 or 9 pounds.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sandbags
Hi

I'm new to the forums and not sure if I should be posting in here or on the Barbie but here goes...

We moved back to the uk with the kids over a year ago from Adelaide after living there nearly 4 years. The wife wanted to come back, I was happy to stay put!

To cut a long story short, we came back and within a month of being back my other half told me that she regrets coming back and wishes she'd never made the push for us tom come back here.

She feels that her memory of living in the uk was based on our child free life where we could do what we wanted when we wanted, we lived in London and enjoyed ourselves with mini weekend breaks etc etc, the sort of live you can live when you haven't got rugrats running around! We both realized quite quickly on our return to the uk that the life we had before has gone and we are different people now with a different way of life.

We both found winter a killer, especially the missus, she was stuck indoors a lot with the kids and the constant grey, dark days really was depressing!

The long and short of it is, that she wants to go back. She misses Australia, thinks it's a better place to bring up kids and admits that she had a lot of guilty pressure from family to deal with which she didn't really talk to me about in oz so I had no idea what she had to deal with from the uk.

I think I'd like to go back too. However...

The problem is that I feel under immense pressure from her to go back and it's really starting to p### me off.

I've struggled to find work coming back here due to the recession and we're only just starting to get on an even keel financially now. We've had a lot of upheaval in the last 12 months and I just want a rest and a chance to recharge my batteries before considering a move back to oz.

Moving is stressful and involves a lot of upheaval. I know I'm a natural pessimist at heart and I'm not sure I can go through it all again. But, my wife is so unhappy here that I'm not sure it's doing our marriage any good by my holding out and not committing to an answer either way.

We've got my family living close by so our kids are getting to know myfamily. My family is quite tight knit and they tend to live in each others pockets, my wife doesn't actually like them very much, especially my mum who can be a bit overbearing at the best of times so it creates a lot of tension and problems for us having them near additionally.

I feel like I've got this big elephant on my shoulder and I've told her to back off but she just doesn't get the message.

has anyone else been in this situation? What advice can you give me?

I dont want my marriage to go down the swanney and I do regret coming back to the uk too, but at the moment I just haven't got the energy to go through such a big move again, I'm just worried that it's going to put too much strain on my marriage if I don't make up my mind soon.
I would be more than a little pissed off if I were you. Sounds like you just want the earth to stand still for a while and I think if that is what you want that is what you should get. Oz is not going anywhere. Best of luck!
Old Jul 26th 2009, 10:43 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Can't argue with what you've put because it's obviously true for you but three pounds for a pub meal? Didn't see anything that cheap when I visited last year (not in my old neck of the woods). What on earth was the meal? Cheapest pub grub I could see was at least 8 or 9 pounds.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/food-and-drink/

Last edited by fraser; Jul 26th 2009 at 10:48 am.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 10:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Bugger don't put prices on their site . Depending on the food that's pretty good value.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 11:01 am

Bugger don't put prices on their site . Depending on the food that's pretty good value.
Yeah you could get a curry and a pint including popodums and naan for around a fiver.

£3.69 for double sausage, double bacon, double hash browns, double toast, mushrooms and tomato for breakfast.

The kids for £2.99 got a meal, drink bag of fruit and colouring book.

This was the cheapest one, but loads of others locally that you could add £1.50 to all of the above.

Five of us (3 adults and two kids) would go out all the time and it averaged between £20-25 including a drink at most local pubs.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 11:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Yeah you could get a curry and a pint including popodums and naan for around a fiver.

£3.69 for double sausage, double bacon, double hash browns, double toast, mushrooms and tomato for breakfast.

The kids for £2.99 got a meal, drink bag of fruit and colouring book.

This was the cheapest one, but loads of others locally that you could add £1.50 to all of the above.

Five of us (3 adults and two kids) would go out all the time and it averaged between £20-25 including a drink at most local pubs.
Cool. I did really well when we went back. Every time (nightly practically ) the random people I was going out with wanted to pay. Ended up not taking much notice of the prices
Old Jul 26th 2009, 11:08 am

Cool. I did really well when we went back. Every time (nightly practically ) the random people I was going out with wanted to pay. Ended up not taking much notice of the prices
Yeah we were out nearly every night, got really sick of it towards the end. I got menu fatigue, sick of looking at them after nearly 5 weeks.

I will say this we went to loads of pubs and yes they were cheaper than here but after a while all menus seemed the same, much more variety here.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 5:57 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

You beat me to it! Wetherspoons is great - chilli & rice and a drink for £5