Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Prescriptions and how it all works

Prescriptions and how it all works

Old Mar 8th 2006, 2:35 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Prescriptions and how it all works

Originally Posted by iPom
My Aussie hubby says that buying meds over there is much cheaper than it is here...
I think the trick is to try the brand that makes you feel good... There's a good thyroid board on the About.com boards which you can get lists of good thyroid docs.. I'm quite looking forward to it as my UK doc knows a lot less than I do about it all.
Now what the hell is going on in the world that so many folk are hypothyroid? It does make me wonder...I have come across so many people over recent months that have been diagnosed hypothyroid and it's quite scary. I got the same diagnosis eighteen months ago, but it self-corrected. It's slipped again I think, but I'm going my usual route and treat it homoeopathically.

Certainly it's cheaper being asthmatic over here. I gave up inhaled steroids several years ago but still need my ventolin. I pay $9.95 for my inhalers aot £6+ in the UK. Although my GP in the UK used to prescribe two at a time which made it cheaper. Still prefer being able to buy in the pharmacy though.

Sue
Old Mar 8th 2006, 3:33 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squeezzii
Hi there ipom, I have just rang my local pharmacist to ask for you - they said the cost is $29.50 for 200mg box of 200. you can only obtain it with an oz gp's prescription.apparently there are diff strengths but this would give you and idea of what you're looking at, there is of course the extra cost of the gp consultation but that depends on the gp and I cant advise on that as I still havent registered with one yet! thyroxine IS apparently included on the PSB list ( a concession card for people with long term medical costs) but you do have to be a permanant resident to qualify for that and there is also a thing called the medicare safety net which also helps some with thier costs there is a website www.hic.gov.au that says it offers info - I havent looked at this site so I dont know exactly what info is on it but its address has been given on a medicare handout so may be of use to you.
hope this is useful
I just bought mine yesterday here in Brisbane, $25.75 for 200 x100microgram tablets (I take 200micrograms/day) - it is definitely not free as someone suggested. Last time I bought 50 microgram tabs it was $12.95 for 200.

And yes, thyroxine is on the PBS list, but the PBS has nothing to do with any concession for people with long term medical costs, I think you mean a health care card . The PBS (Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme) is a scheme whereby a large percentage of medicines & pharmaceuticals are subsidised by the govt. This means that the most you will pay is $29.50 for any prescription if the drug in on the PBS (most are), or less if the drug costs less obviously.

BTW, having an underactive thyoid doesnt mean you are entitled to a health care card either (unfortunately! ) .
Old Mar 8th 2006, 5:25 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
I just bought mine yesterday here in Brisbane, $25.75 for 200 x100microgram tablets (I take 200micrograms/day) - it is definitely not free as someone suggested. Last time I bought 50 microgram tabs it was $12.95 for 200.

And yes, thyroxine is on the PBS list, but the PBS has nothing to do with any concession for people with long term medical costs, I think you mean a health care card . The PBS (Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme) is a scheme whereby a large percentage of medicines & pharmaceuticals are subsidised by the govt. This means that the most you will pay is $29.50 for any prescription if the drug in on the PBS (most are), or less if the drug costs less obviously.

BTW, having an underactive thyoid doesnt mean you are entitled to a health care card either (unfortunately! ) .
Not sure if you know this, Robyn, but in the UK, anyone who is either diabetic or hypothyroid is entitled not just to free insulin or thyroxine, but all their other necessary meds - free for life. I think this will cost the UK government dearly in years to come as more and more people become diabetic and thyroid-deficient.

Hope your back is fully recovered now.

Sue
Old Mar 8th 2006, 5:32 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Not sure if you know this, Robyn, but in the UK, anyone who is either diabetic or hypothyroid is entitled not just to free insulin or thyroxine, but all their other necessary meds - free for life. I think this will cost the UK government dearly in years to come as more and more people become diabetic and thyroid-deficient.

Hope your back is fully recovered now.

Sue
Hi Sue, yes I did know that, sorry, my post sort of sounded a bit strange, what I meant was that its not free in Australia like it is in the UK. Plenty of meds in this house, we would send the UK Govt broke just on our own :scared: .

Back is as good as it's going to get, so no use complaining, at least Im not confined to bed for now .
Old Mar 8th 2006, 7:39 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by squeezzii
Hi there ipom, I have just rang my local pharmacist to ask for you - they said the cost is $29.50 for 200mg box of 200. you can only obtain it with an oz gp's prescription.apparently there are diff strengths but this would give you and idea of what you're looking at, there is of course the extra cost of the gp consultation but that depends on the gp and I cant advise on that as I still havent registered with one yet! thyroxine IS apparently included on the PSB list ( a concession card for people with long term medical costs) but you do have to be a permanant resident to qualify for that and there is also a thing called the medicare safety net which also helps some with thier costs there is a website www.hic.gov.au that says it offers info - I havent looked at this site so I dont know exactly what info is on it but its address has been given on a medicare handout so may be of use to you.
hope this is useful

Thank you! That's great info and very reassuring.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 10:11 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iPom
I have a thyroid condition and need thyroxine.
My doc will give me a month's supply to take with me, which will give me a little leeway, but I will need to find a doc ASAP.

Question is: Do you need a prescription from a doc to purcahse meds?

Are there arrangements under medicare for things like thyroid conditions or do I need to find a private doc?

Thanks.
You need to see a doc to get a prescription for these. I take thyroid medication too for an overactive thyroid. This was all diagnosed in my first two weeks here so it's all new to me! I've never had a medical problem in my life before now!

I see a doc for the initial script and he gives me five repeats - its loads of tablets. I then pay the pharmacy for the drugs, but claim all the money back. ...its not too bad. I have overseas student health cover but I think it's the same for medicare.

My Endocrinologist is great too and is so helpful.