Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

preliminary visit to oz

preliminary visit to oz

Old Jan 31st 2005, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future
Unhappy preliminary visit to oz

hi - we are going out next month to do a visit - & have to be out there by june so we are going to get a few bits and pieces done before then

only i have got myself into a right muddle and im not entirely sure now as to what i am supposed to be doing

my husband has a job so that is sorted -we know the area we will be living in so thats sorted - we have kids so obviously we need to look at the the school - but other that that im lost

been trying to look on here as i know there are loadsa lists - but seem to be getting myself more & more confused

can you suggest what things would be good to do on our first visit- to save us aggro on the second ????

any help/ ideas appreciated
many thanks

pootle
Old Feb 1st 2005, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future
Default Re: preliminary visit to oz

anyone???

Old Feb 1st 2005, 5:03 am
scoobydoo

You may not be able to do all these until you are settled but here are a few ideas.....

Medicare (or private health fund) Ambulance cover

Tax File number

bank account

real estate agents - rentals or buying

car dealers

public transport

find local shops - especially bottle shop!

mobile phones

activities for kids

check out routes to school and work

library

Relax and have a break!!

Old Feb 1st 2005, 5:06 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
You may not be able to do all these until you are settled but here are a few ideas.....

Medicare (or private health fund) Ambulance cover

Tax File number

bank account

real estate agents - rentals or buying

car dealers

public transport

find local shops - especially bottle shop!

mobile phones

activities for kids

check out routes to school and work

library

Relax and have a break!!

All excellent suggestions, and as soon as you're here (in the case of medicare, 10 days after) you'll be able to do them too
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 11:44 am
SharonC

sharon_gareth is an unknown quantity at this point

We came straight out to Perth so did all the stuff on the list above. If your just coming to get your passport signed though I would focus on checking out areas so you know where you want to live when you move here perm its so difficult to get a feel of what areas are really like when you look sat the internet.

Dont know which state you are making your new home but if it is perth then you may prefer to buy land and have a house built? Your trip would be a good time to get all that kind of thing sorted? Or perhaps you could buy an established home and rent it out until you move over here? (lots of folk sell and rent back their home in Perth when having anew one built) You may not like the idea of doing this but its just something to think about.

Sharon
www.immigrate-to-a-new-life-in-perth.com