British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Pregnancy & Immigration ....????? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/pregnancy-immigration-311384/)

Rooksie Jun 30th 2005 5:18 pm

Pregnancy & Immigration ....?????

No No No - not yet!!!!! :o

But if, say, I was planning to become pregnant how would this affect our visa application and our medicals etc etc?? Would I be able to get round this by front loading meds with application and then have a free run to plan pregnancy as soon as possible? We dont really want to wait until we arrive in Australia due to *difficulties* and it may be a case of now or never. Likewise, dont really want to delay application any longer than absolutely necessary!

Can anyone shed some light please?

Thanks in anticipation!!

fraser Jun 30th 2005 6:14 pm

Re: Pregnancy & Immigration ....?????

Originally Posted by Rooksie

But if, say, I was planning to become pregnant how would this affect our visa application and our medicals etc etc?? Would I be able to get round this by front loading meds with application and then have a free run to plan pregnancy as soon as possible? We dont really want to wait until we arrive in Australia due to *difficulties* and it may be a case of now or never. Likewise, dont really want to delay application any longer than absolutely necessary!

Thanks in anticipation!!

:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Rooksie Jun 30th 2005 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by fraser
:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

dont tell me you wouldnt like a little girl mate (and i dont mean kylie!!) :D

Perthforme Jun 30th 2005 6:33 pm

Not wise to have an xray while preggers , and think if done after meds there is a cut off point that you can fly when preggers ie so many weeks gone but don't know what it is ?

markeh Jun 30th 2005 6:33 pm

Thanks in anticipation!!

Hiya Rooksie,

you could do it that way, but DIMMA do as you to contact them with any alterations in status & can hold the application untill bub is born.

You could alway's time it so that you migrate and have bub in Oz, or otherwise you will have to wait untill you can apply for bub to migrate at your local High comission under family.
(I'm sure someone will let you know how, I havn't done it yet.)

We planned to have our daughter in Oz, but high blood pressure (pre-eclampsia) putan end to that idea! :rolleyes:
I will have to sort it out, but who knows baby no 2 could bo on the cards. :p

bye
Mark

Rooksie Jun 30th 2005 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Perthforme
Not wise to have an xray while preggers , and think if done after meds there is a cut off point that you can fly when preggers ie so many weeks gone but don't know what it is ?

Hmmm - hadnt thought of that one - thanks matey!!! thats put a whole new light on things!! :) ta

Rooksie Jun 30th 2005 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by markeh
Hiya Rooksie,

you could do it that way, but DIMMA do as you to contact them with any alterations in status & can hold the application untill bub is born.

You could alway's time it so that you migrate and have bub in Oz, or otherwise you will have to wait untill you can apply for bub to migrate at your local High comission under family.
(I'm sure someone will let you know how, I havn't done it yet.)

We planned to have our daughter in Oz, but high blood pressure (pre-eclampsia) putan end to that idea! :rolleyes:
I will have to sort it out, but who knows baby no 2 could bo on the cards. :p

bye
Mark

thanks mark - weve got a lot to think about!!! cheers :D

KatieStar Jun 30th 2005 7:13 pm

My medical had to be delayed due to pregnancy. OE visas sorted it out for me with DIMIA. I am not sure how complicated it would be to sort out yourself if no agent, whether or not a phonecall could do it. I read somewhere on this site that the visa process can be difficult when pregnant. Maybe you could do a search of the immigration forum.

Good luck
Katie

Rooksie Jun 30th 2005 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by KatieStar
My medical had to be delayed due to pregnancy. OE visas sorted it out for me with DIMIA. I am not sure how complicated it would be to sort out yourself if no agent, whether or not a phonecall could do it. I read somewhere on this site that the visa process can be difficult when pregnant. Maybe you could do a search of the immigration forum.

Good luck
Katie

oh dear - thanks katie

KatieStar Jun 30th 2005 7:20 pm

You are welcome I hope it works out for you. We managed it, but it definately would be worth research before hand though. :)

Katie

Rooksie Jun 30th 2005 7:27 pm

You are welcome I hope it works out for you. We managed it, but it definately would be worth research before hand though. :)

Katie

i have sent an email to our agent and explained the situation so hopefully he will come up with a solution (just hope it isnt abstinence!!) :eek:

dh1905 Jun 30th 2005 7:29 pm

Hi, we have gone through the whole process while I have been pregnant ( baby is now 2 months old), we have no agent and its been no problem at all.

We completed the application form with just my details, my husbands and our daughters and enclosed a letter to say that I was expecting a baby. When we got the request for the medicals and pcc's our case officer asked for us to provide a copy of new babys passport bio page and a form to be filled in to tell them of the 'change of family details'- he even provided the form for us and a checklist of things that needed to be sent back. So I just waited until baby had been born until we had the medicals done and then sent everything off.
I even went 2 weeks over my baby's due date so I emailed the case officer (good old Brett!) and said we were worried we wouldnt make the deadline for the forms, etc to be sent back so he gave us an extra month.

Hope ths helps :D

fraser Jun 30th 2005 7:35 pm

i have sent an email to our agent and explained the situation so hopefully he will come up with a solution (just hope it isnt abstinence!!) :eek:

Just trying to get your moneys worth :D

Rooksie Jun 30th 2005 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by dh1905
Hi, we have gone through the whole process while I have been pregnant ( baby is now 2 months old), we have no agent and its been no problem at all.

We completed the application form with just my details, my husbands and our daughters and enclosed a letter to say that I was expecting a baby. When we got the request for the medicals and pcc's our case officer asked for us to provide a copy of new babys passport bio page and a form to be filled in to tell them of the 'change of family details'- he even provided the form for us and a checklist of things that needed to be sent back. So I just waited until baby had been born until we had the medicals done and then sent everything off.
I even went 2 weeks over my baby's due date so I emailed the case officer (good old Brett!) and said we were worried we wouldnt make the deadline for the forms, etc to be sent back so he gave us an extra month.

Hope ths helps :D

thank you - ideally, i would like to get meds front loaded and then *get on with it* as it were ;) :D

get visa - go australia - have baby!! sounds simple doesnt it!! :rolleyes: HA - as if!!

Rooksie Jun 30th 2005 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by fraser
Just trying to get your moneys worth :D

hee hee!! Poor Alan - I am so not going to be on his xmas card list!! :o

dh1905 Jun 30th 2005 7:50 pm

thank you - ideally, i would like to get meds front loaded and then *get on with it* as it were ;) :D

get visa - go australia - have baby!! sounds simple doesnt it!! :rolleyes: HA - as if!!

Simple!!

Thats a good idea to get all meds done 1st, I would have liked to have done that but baby thought otherwise!
Good luck anyway hope you get it sorted

JAJ Jun 30th 2005 7:53 pm

Simple!!

Thats a good idea to get all meds done 1st, I would have liked to have done that but baby thought otherwise!

The simple way is to migrate first, and have the baby after you get to Australia. Any other chain of events risks delaying, complicating or even cancelling your migration plans, depending on circumstances.

Jeremy

KatieStar Jun 30th 2005 7:54 pm

Simple!!

I thought your medicals were only valid for so long, maybe I am wrong. What if it takes a long time for the visa to come through, would you have to do them again?

Katie

Perthforme Jun 30th 2005 7:58 pm

Hmmm - hadnt thought of that one - thanks matey!!! thats put a whole new light on things!! :) ta

Don't forget you will get A$4000 for having baby in Aus :D
Goes up from 3 to 4 tomorrow i believe

dh1905 Jun 30th 2005 8:08 pm

I thought your medicals were only valid for so long, maybe I am wrong. What if it takes a long time for the visa to come through, would you have to do them again?

Katie

In an ideal world you could send off application, wait a month or so get meds done, then start trying for baby.
It shouldnt be too long then after you will receive the request for the medicals- they will be ready to send off.
If you are lucky and fall pregnant quickly you may get visa in time to fly out without the airline objecting to you being too heavily pregnant.

JAJ Jun 30th 2005 8:18 pm

Katie

If you do medicals without being asked and they expire (after 12 months, sometimes 6) then you do have to do them again.

Add to that the fact pregnat women can't fly after 6 months, and if the baby arrives after visa grant but is born in the UK, then you need to sponsor for a child migrant visa - you'll see that it's simplest to wait until getting to Australia before thinking about babies.

Jeremy

Rooksie Jun 30th 2005 8:21 pm

thanks everyone - i guess wait it is then. thanks Jeremy (level headed as always!!) :)

movetoperth Jul 1st 2005 8:51 am

Rooksie

Dint be put off.............. I did it, yes i know i have to do things differently.... but..... I had the meds done (requested) same month fell at the first time of asking, then we flew out when i was 28 weeks and 1 day, no probs flying with Singapore up to 32 weeks so long as ok with the midwife, insurance is another matter, Indie was born here as a little aussie, the care here was fab.

The reason we did it this way was we didnt want to put it off any longer (not so young as i used to be) and we wanted to have Indie here just incase there was a problem which would have meant he was refused a visa, slim chance i know but not one i wanted to take.

So long as you are fairly sure your visa will be issued by the time you are 32 weeks then go for it, if nothing else it gets you out of packing, carrying suitcases, taking the kids to the loo on the flight....... i could go on and on. If you want to know more pm me.

Lynn

bridiej Jul 1st 2005 8:54 am

Are xrays detrimental to the developing baby? :confused:

Only reason I ask is that when we had our xrays they just asked me if it was possible I was pregnant and I said no, there was no check....

Jac, we are going to wait until we get there, just in case there are any complications with me or the baby, although we'll probably wait a couple of years before trying - got to get lots more practice in yet! ;) :D

Rooksie Jul 1st 2005 9:01 am

Originally Posted by movetoperth.com
Rooksie

Dint be put off.............. I did it, yes i know i have to do things differently.... but..... I had the meds done (requested) same month fell at the first time of asking, then we flew out when i was 28 weeks and 1 day, no probs flying with Singapore up to 32 weeks so long as ok with the midwife, insurance is another matter, Indie was born here as a little aussie, the care here was fab.

The reason we did it this way was we didnt want to put it off any longer (not so young as i used to be) and we wanted to have Indie here just incase there was a problem which would have meant he was refused a visa, slim chance i know but not one i wanted to take.

So long as you are fairly sure your visa will be issued by the time you are 32 weeks then go for it, if nothing else it gets you out of packing, carrying suitcases, taking the kids to the loo on the flight....... i could go on and on. If you want to know more pm me.

Lynn

thanks Lynn - youre an absolute angel. same here - we have 2 already but we dont get pregnant at drop of a hat (5 years between our 2 girls and ive never taken any contraception!!) our youngest daughter 5 today so there goes the 5 year gap theory!!! my husband is receiving treatment at hospital and we are both closer to 40 than we would prefer!!! ergo, i dont want to hang around!!!!

all morning i have been prearing a chart and trying to guess a chain of events visa wise (a bit like pin the tail on the donkey!!!!)

Im quite a way off requested meds (still waiting TRA result!!!) but i had considered front loading????

i also need to establish how long for STNI approval so ive got some research to do yet!

thanks for your positive vibes - really apprciate it!!

jacs x

Rooksie Jul 1st 2005 9:03 am

Originally Posted by bridiej
Are xrays detrimental to the developing baby? :confused:

Only reason I ask is that when we had our xrays they just asked me if it was possible I was pregnant and I said no, there was no check....

Jac, we are going to wait until we get there, just in case there are any complications with me or the baby, although we'll probably wait a couple of years before trying - got to get lots more practice in yet! ;) :D

yes they are mate although some docs will do them but with a shield or something though its not recommended.

i dont really want to wait mate because we are finding it difficult as it is :o

bridiej Jul 1st 2005 9:09 am

yes they are mate although some docs will do them but with a shield or something though its not recommended.

i dont really want to wait mate because we are finding it difficult as it is :o

Sorry, do you mind me asking how old you are? (PM me if you prefer) only by the time we get around to it I'll be 34 or 35 so bit concerned..... :confused:

Anne4Terry Jul 1st 2005 9:11 am

The radiologist who did our x-rays forgot to ask me if I might be pregnant until afterwards. He came up and whispered - obviously feeling guilty!

Jacs give Daisy a big birthday kiss from me and tell her all the best people are born on this day! :D

movetoperth Jul 1st 2005 9:12 am

thanks Lynn - youre an absolute angel. same here - we have 2 already but we dont get pregnant at drop of a hat (5 years between our 2 girls and ive never taken any contraception!!) our youngest daughter 5 today so there goes the 5 year gap theory!!! my husband is receiving treatment at hospital and we are both closer to 40 than we would prefer!!! ergo, i dont want to hang around!!!!

all morning i have been prearing a chart and trying to guess a chain of events visa wise (a bit like pin the tail on the donkey!!!!)

Im quite a way off requested meds (still waiting TRA result!!!) but i had considered front loading????

i also need to establish how long for STNI approval so ive got some research to do yet!

thanks for your positive vibes - really apprciate it!!

jacs x

Do your research then go for it, whats the worst that can happen, you reach 32 weeks and your visa hasnt arrived, you put a stop on it and have your meds redone after the bub is here (or there as the case may be). I have 1 friend who flew at 32 weeks, 6 days after she got her visa and another who had her and the babys meds done when bub was 2 days old. By that stage it will just be a minor blip, ok you pay for 2 lots of meds, but sometimes you just have to live for the moment.

Lynn

Rooksie Jul 1st 2005 9:12 am

Sorry, do you mind me asking how old you are? (PM me if you prefer) only by the time we get around to it I'll be 34 or 35 so bit concerned..... :confused:

you got plenty of life in you yet mate!!!! :D

i will be 36 in august and gerard is now 37. our problem is that we have never fallen pregnant at the drop of a hat and the older we get...... :( :(

Anne4Terry Jul 1st 2005 9:13 am

BTW. Did you see my comments on pregnancy on your thread on the immigration forum? Doubt it, I put something woth looking at and then no other bugger reads it again after that!! :rolleyes:

Rooksie Jul 1st 2005 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
The radiologist who did our x-rays forgot to ask me if I might be pregnant until afterwards. He came up and whispered - obviously feeling guilty!

Jacs give Daisy a big birthday kiss from me and tell her all the best people are born on this day! :D

i certainly will mate!!! :D

Rooksie Jul 1st 2005 9:14 am

Originally Posted by movetoperth.com
Do your research then go for it, whats the worst that can happen, you reach 32 weeks and your visa hasnt arrived, you put a stop on it and have your meds redone after the bub is here (or there as the case may be). I have 1 friend who flew at 32 weeks, 6 days after she got her visa and another who had her and the babys meds done when bub was 2 days old. By that stage it will just be a minor blip, ok you pay for 2 lots of meds, but sometimes you just have to live for the moment.

Lynn

youre absolutely right mate!!!!!! WOO HOOOOOOOOOOO :D

Rooksie Jul 1st 2005 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
BTW. Did you see my comments on pregnancy on your thread on the immigration forum? Doubt it, I put something woth looking at and then no other bugger reads it again after that!! :rolleyes:

i will check it out!!!!! must have missed that one :D

bridiej Jul 1st 2005 9:16 am

you got plenty of life in you yet mate!!!! :D

i will be 36 in august and gerard is now 37. our problem is that we have never fallen pregnant at the drop of a hat and the older we get...... :( :(

Thanks for sharing the info....... I've never been pregnant so no idea how fertile me or Malc is... have already decided though that if nature doesnt take its course then that's it - dont want to go down the IVF route.

If it's meant to be it will be....!

If I were you though I'd wait, after all wont be long til you've got your visas and are settled in your new life in Australia and if Jed is anything like Malc the hot weather will make sure you get plenty of practice in! ;)

Rooksie Jul 1st 2005 9:26 am

Thanks for sharing the info....... I've never been pregnant so no idea how fertile me or Malc is... have already decided though that if nature doesnt take its course then that's it - dont want to go down the IVF route.

If it's meant to be it will be....!

If I were you though I'd wait, after all wont be long til you've got your visas and are settled in your new life in Australia and if Jed is anything like Malc the hot weather will make sure you get plenty of practice in! ;)

mate - gerard and i have been married 13 years (this coming Monday!!) and weve never taken contraception!!!! ;) yet some people only got to share the same soap!! :D

bridiej Jul 1st 2005 10:02 am

mate - gerard and i have been married 13 years (this coming Monday!!) and weve never taken contraception!!!! ;) yet some people only got to share the same soap!! :D

LOL! :D

I've been on the pill half my life!!! :(

Jonahs_mummy Jul 1st 2005 10:02 am

Jac,

:eek: Is there something you want to tell me???? ROFL:eek:
Seriously though, we went through all the same worries, etc with the Vs the visa...... we got great advice though....

Basically, we just submit our visa appl as normal, and then when I have the baby I just inform the case officer and send a certified copy of the bubs birth certificate & when we have it, a certified copy of bubs passport detail page..... the CO then should add on the bubs to the appl.

In regards to XRays when pregnant, the advice we got was that 99.9% of hospitals will refuse you an x-ray but some may offer you a "lead-sheilded xray".... BEWARE as in Booklet 6 it states that DIMIA don't particularly see them as the "norm" so tend not to accept them............ we were advised that if our meds were requested but bubs still hadn't been born that we should inform our CO & they would "suspend" our application until after the happy event. Another point to consider, that we have been told, is that it isn't advisable to have your Meds until after your 6wk check following the birth of the baby... I was concerned as it looks like I am having another c-section with this baby & I wondered how that would sit with the panel doctor doing the medicals. I have been advised not to worry about that so long as I tell the doctor when we arrive; apparantly c-sects are not a negative point on the medical. (good news ;o))

PM me if you want to chat about this or travelling to Australia with a tiny baby as we have done that too....

Love ya,

Claire

xxxxx

Rooksie Jul 1st 2005 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Jac,

:eek: Is there something you want to tell me???? ROFL:eek:
Seriously though, we went through all the same worries, etc with the Vs the visa...... we got great advice though....

Basically, we just submit our visa appl as normal, and then when I have the baby I just inform the case officer and send a certified copy of the bubs birth certificate & when we have it, a certified copy of bubs passport detail page..... the CO then should add on the bubs to the appl.

In regards to XRays when pregnant, the advice we got was that 99.9% of hospitals will refuse you an x-ray but some may offer you a "lead-sheilded xray".... BEWARE as in Booklet 6 it states that DIMIA don't particularly see them as the "norm" so tend not to accept them............ we were advised that if our meds were requested but bubs still hadn't been born that we should inform our CO & they would "suspend" our application until after the happy event. Another point to consider, that we have been told, is that it isn't advisable to have your Meds until after your 6wk check following the birth of the baby... I was concerned as it looks like I am having another c-section with this baby & I wondered how that would sit with the panel doctor doing the medicals. I have been advised not to worry about that so long as I tell the doctor when we arrive; apparantly c-sects are not a negative point on the medical. (good news ;o))

PM me if you want to chat about this or travelling to Australia with a tiny baby as we have done that too....

Love ya,

Claire

xxxxx

thanks for that Claire - ideally i would like to get meds done BEFORE i fall pregnant (i hope), then let nature takes it course ;) , get visa, go australia, have baby!!! see sounds simple doesnt it (or maybe its me who's simple??? :o )

bridiej Jul 1st 2005 10:12 am

thanks for that Claire - ideally i would like to get meds done BEFORE i fall pregnant (i hope), then let nature takes it course ;) , get visa, go australia, have baby!!! see sounds simple doesnt it (or maybe its me who's simple??? :o )

Yes, does sound so simple and easy....! And I'm sure it will be from now on! :)