Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Preflight checking the broomstick!

Wikiposts

Preflight checking the broomstick!

Old Oct 31st 2003, 8:03 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

so excited for you... got goosebumps just typing this.. good luck all the best, hope to hear from you soon. Just as soon as you can, let us all know what it is like on the other side of the planet ..
Old Oct 31st 2003, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck and enjoy every day.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 8:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys!
Well, I'm enjoying it so far! Nice stable broomstick ride as far as Hong Kong, where the nice airport gives you free internet access (thanks Bondipom!)!
So far so good; Excess Baggage Co have my Excess Baggage! Dumped it on them at Heathrow and they were mega-helpful; Cathay Pacific (so far) are amazing! I've had good trips with Qantas and Lauda, but this lot are immaculate. Polite, friendly, they say words like "Excuse me!" which are rather strange after spending my last English hours in LHR Term 3.......must be one of the rudest places on earth! Food has been excellent, good seat pitch, staff at Hong Kong helpful too.
Bit tough leaving the UK of course, but we figured out a reasonable way to do it - had lunch with the family in Term 2 and said the goodbyes there, then they don't have to see you walk through security - bit less heart-wrenching. Just took my best mate over to wave me through. My nephew & nieces (10,8 & 3)loved it - no tears, they were just excited cos they hadn't been to an airport before - they helped me carry the bags in the checkin queue, rode on every travelator in sight, and then got pizza into the bargain! My 8 yr old niece then gave me some nice thick socks to take cos she wasn't sure if I could buy them in Australia!!!!
Off to sample the alcoholic delights of HKG airport now.........
Old Oct 31st 2003, 9:17 pm
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough
Default Nimbus 2000

Forgot your on your way, that broomstick is fast for a 3year old.

Good luck and happy landings on your next leg.

The Uni's
Old Oct 31st 2003, 9:23 pm
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

Good luck Pollyanna!!
Keep us posted.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 9:26 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

May be a three yr old Broomstick (Nimbus 2000 model!) but its been souped up! And it was Hallowe'en last night when strange things happen.......didn't my Supersonic Broomstick make the papers?!
Old Oct 31st 2003, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellant to hear from you Pollyana, not long now!!!

fc
Old Oct 31st 2003, 9:29 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pollyana
Hi guys!
Well, I'm enjoying it so far! Nice stable broomstick ride as far as Hong Kong, where the nice airport gives you free internet access (thanks Bondipom!)!
So far so good; Excess Baggage Co have my Excess Baggage! Dumped it on them at Heathrow and they were mega-helpful; Cathay Pacific (so far) are amazing! I've had good trips with Qantas and Lauda, but this lot are immaculate. Polite, friendly, they say words like "Excuse me!" which are rather strange after spending my last English hours in LHR Term 3.......must be one of the rudest places on earth! Food has been excellent, good seat pitch, staff at Hong Kong helpful too.
Bit tough leaving the UK of course, but we figured out a reasonable way to do it - had lunch with the family in Term 2 and said the goodbyes there, then they don't have to see you walk through security - bit less heart-wrenching. Just took my best mate over to wave me through. My nephew & nieces (10,8 & 3)loved it - no tears, they were just excited cos they hadn't been to an airport before - they helped me carry the bags in the checkin queue, rode on every travelator in sight, and then got pizza into the bargain! My 8 yr old niece then gave me some nice thick socks to take cos she wasn't sure if I could buy them in Australia!!!!
Off to sample the alcoholic delights of HKG airport now.........
I agree with you on Cathay. Have you tried the massage seats in the airport yet? Great fun and a good way to lose any HK dollars you have left.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 9:30 pm
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Pollyana
May be a three yr old Broomstick (Nimbus 2000 model!) but its been souped up! And it was Hallowe'en last night when strange things happen.......didn't my Supersonic Broomstick make the papers?!
So it did heading in an easterly direction said something about it being totaly overloaded with stuff !!!

Enjoy hte rest of the ride.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 9:33 pm
Home and Happy

Yep, thats us! Very overloaded and with frantically waving teddy bears and snake!
My best mate also assures me that he was standing on the roof of his car in the Heathrow staff car-park (underneath the takeoff path) waving madly back to us......!
Old Oct 31st 2003, 9:59 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

From the BOM for Sunday

----------------------------------------------------------
BRISBANE METROPOLITAN AREA
Fire weather warning is current till Saturday evening. High to very high fire
danger for Sunday.
Fine. Fresh and gusty SW winds, moderating on Sunday before freshening again
Sunday evening.
Brisbane for Sunday ... MIN 15 MAX 28
Bayside for Sunday ... MIN 14 MAX 28
UV INDEX - 16 [Extreme]
Monday ... Fine MIN 14 MAX 25
Tuesday ... Fine MIN 18 MAX 25
Wednesday ... Fine MIN 18 MAX 25
------------------------------------------------------------

Lucky, it looks like its cooling down for your arrival .
Old Oct 31st 2003, 11:49 pm
Home and Happy

Timed it well haven't I! Left Heathrow in teeming rain and about 10 degrees, wearing 9 layers of clothes too.........Think the UK was trying to remind me why I was leaving!
Old Oct 31st 2003, 11:56 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Last week was stinking hot, but as always its cooled down a bit, make the most of it, especially if you get jetlagged & have to have a nap during the day .

Make sure you put those 9 layers of clothes into storage
Old Nov 1st 2003, 12:02 am
Home and Happy

I've got so much hand luggage I shall be wearing them all when I get off the plane! If you're in Brissie airport Sunday lunchtime I'll be the idiot looking very hot and dragging 3 trolleys behind me! What idiot let me loose in an airport with a credit card......!

After that I shall be wearing them all in rotation until the rest of my clothes arrive. Along with my goooorgeous new purple witch's hat, a goodbye pressie from my mates!
Old Nov 1st 2003, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Polly
Hope that you enjoy the rest of the flight

Debs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.