Reload this Page >

Predators......??

Wikiposts

Predators......??

Old Nov 25th 2003, 12:38 am
Account Closed

dazzac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Predators......??

Saw a few threads on snakes and spiders - and the family who had an upset snake hissing at their patio door and had to call the snake lady to remove it.

Got me thinking about natural deterrents/predators.
I was thinking I could keep a couple of large Iguana to deal with the spiders. Easy to maintain , light enough to toss in the direction of a red back or huntsman, should they have missed one on their daily rounds.

Snakes - well I thought I could get a couple of Mongoose (not sure what the plural is). They prey on snakes.
Build a little mound in the corner of the garden for them to call home.
They'd be quite good to watch in the evening to, there little heads bobbing up and down as they sit on top of their mound keeping watch.

If it was successful perhaps I could breed them. Even train them perhaps - take them out on a leash.
I could have a security round in the mornings, sweep all the neighbours gardens with my good friend , Terry, the mongoose.

Would anybody be interested in this service?
Thoughts please.

Old Nov 25th 2003, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

koala_mac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Predators......??

LOL

you could set up a franchise operation across the country, and you could also have a crack team of specially trained SWOT mongeese and iguana for lucrative emergency jobs "any time, any place, any size"
Old Nov 25th 2003, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

rajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Predators......??

Originally posted by dazzac
Saw a few threads on snakes and spiders - and the family who had an upset snake hissing at their patio door and had to call the snake lady to remove it.

Got me thinking about natural deterrents/predators.
I was thinking I could keep a couple of large Iguana to deal with the spiders. Easy to maintain , light enough to toss in the direction of a red back or huntsman, should they have missed one on their daily rounds.

Snakes - well I thought I could get a couple of Mongoose (not sure what the plural is). They prey on snakes.
Build a little mound in the corner of the garden for them to call home.
They'd be quite good to watch in the evening to, there little heads bobbing up and down as they sit on top of their mound keeping watch.

If it was successful perhaps I could breed them. Even train them perhaps - take them out on a leash.
I could have a security round in the mornings, sweep all the neighbours gardens with my good friend , Terry, the mongoose.

Would anybody be interested in this service?
Thoughts please.

Keep the Huntsmen, they are harmless and munch on the mozzies around the house.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 1:13 am
jules

Julie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Predators

What a fab idea. i mean introducing non-indeginous species such as the cane toad to Aus has been a overwhelming success, oh and theres the feral cat, the fox, the rabbit...............blah blah blah
Old Nov 25th 2003, 1:26 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: Predators

Hi Julie Martin,
do you include "us" non indigenous peoiple as well?

Bye
Markeh
Old Nov 25th 2003, 1:28 am
Account Closed

dazzac is an unknown quantity at this point

Indeed . On my last trip I did see quite a few middle aged men using the cane toads for golf swing practise. I guess in their eyes the cane toad numbers are a bonus.

I have to say I neither play golf or would ever consider hitting any type of animal.
However if my mongoose takes a shine to a cane toad then fair enough. Law of the jungle.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

ROFL

How much for a perimeter check and weekly maintenance ?

With my LOVE of spiders you'd have a job for life finding and re-homing / crucifying the little bastards.

:scared:

Paul
Old Nov 25th 2003, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Andiii is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL! It's not as bad as some are making out...

I mean, closer to the city I've NEVER seen a snake, nor have I seen one 4 hours from the city (Horsham, Garoke) though, I'm sure there are many out there!

We get a huntsman maybe once every 6 months.

Just use the vacuum cleaner!
Old Nov 25th 2003, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

wonder if dyson do one with metal blades.........................

Paul
Old Nov 25th 2003, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Andiii
LOL! It's not as bad as some are making out...

I mean, closer to the city I've NEVER seen a snake, nor have I seen one 4 hours from the city (Horsham, Garoke) though, I'm sure there are many out there!

We get a huntsman maybe once every 6 months.

Just use the vacuum cleaner!
Hi Andii...there was a woman in Kew killed by a snake in her garden last summer . (That's 8km-10km from the city). Not sure what sort of snake it was.

LOL Julie....I read they are now removing the wild horses from Fraser Island as they are causing too much soil erosion....I wonder if they will also remove the non-indigenous 4WDs that tear up and down the beaches all day
Old Nov 25th 2003, 8:01 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hiya Paul&Ann-Marie,
you might be onto something here.

Bye
Markeh
Old Nov 25th 2003, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Andiii is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, really?

But i guess when you put it into perspective... how many people have been killed by snake bites in total in Australia?

Not many! The statistics are fairly low...

Either way, it was probably a brown, or tiger snake.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Andiii
Wow, really?

But i guess when you put it into perspective... how many people have been killed by snake bites in total in Australia?

Not many! The statistics are fairly low...

Either way, it was probably a brown, or tiger snake.
Yes! She maybe lived down by Studley Park or somewhere with lots of trees and parkland?? (sorry the 8-10km from the city was for the benefit of the non-melbourne dwelling population, not you!)

I've still not seen one alive - just a handful of road kill - but not even in the city - these have all been out rural. My brother-in-law trod on a brown snake in his garden last weekend - it tried to bite him but it couldn't reach as he was still standing on it! (they get loads of brown snakes cos they live on a farm )
Old Nov 25th 2003, 8:33 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Predators

Originally posted by Julie Martin
What a fab idea. i mean introducing non-indeginous species such as the cane toad to Aus has been a overwhelming success, oh and theres the feral cat, the fox, the rabbit...............blah blah blah
Yeah, and goats and pigs (they're in Kalbarri NP, as far as I know )

Old Nov 25th 2003, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll definitely take one of those mongoose. Spiders don't bother me as I know I am bigger than them, but snakes scare the crap out of me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.